How are you liking the new addition compared to 7th,6th,5th, and 4th

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Knives
Shas'Saal

How are you liking the new addition compared to 7th,6th,5th, and 4th

Post#1 » Oct 14 2017 09:36

Now that you've had loads of time to play. How do you feel this new edition stacks up to old.

A lot of my friends we're not a fan of the over simplified firing arcs, Wounds, Tags and Primaris marines, new art direction etc. The age of sigmar 40k really never clicked with us.

But most of us our 30+
But we want your opinion. What do you think? How does the new edition stack up. Are the rules less complex now? Or needlessly complex in the wrong areas.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: How are you liking the new addition compared to 7th,6th,5th, and 4th

Post#2 » Oct 14 2017 10:04

Our group loves it so far (age range is late 20s/early 30s for reference). Sure it's not perfect (cover rules need to be improved for sure) but no edition ever was or ever will be perfect.
It's definitely worlds better than 7th and from what I've heard and read (didn't play before 7th) I'd say I prefer 8th over the old ones as well.

That's for the gaming aspect.

The fluff development and arrival of Primaris in the setting...well...I can't say I dislike it. GWs storytelling is a bit weak and really needs some help from proper Black Library writer there imo but overall I don't think the sky is falling like so many other.
The artstyle...well I for sure don't like how the Death Guard cover from the non-limited edition codex but then again there were always good and bad art and even the new bad art I prefer over the really old art. Benefits of not wearing the nostalgia glasses.
I'm eager to see where GW is taking us now that the story finally continues again (or rather now that we have a story at all instead of just a setting).
Last edited by Panzer on Oct 14 2017 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 14 2017 10:33

I've been playing for 10 years and whilst this edition does feel to have heavily nerfed crisis suits and Made broadsides unusable.
However this is much better than 7th ed far more streamlined and trying to keep track of all the formation special rules.
Also as someone who was introduced to this universe through WHFB I have been saying fir years that scaling armour penetration would be better as that was one of the biggest gripes for previous editions.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 14 2017 10:53

I'm 37, been playing since 2nd ed. This edition is by far superior to any i have played although I too would like to see facing and firing arcs as well as cover get more depth. However I recognize that there is difficulty in doing so while maintaining ease of play.

As far as the fluff goes, I'm largly fine with it except for primaries' marines. They should have been simply true scale marines, and differences in how they are organized could have been guillaman modernizing the codex astartes.
Last edited by deathboon on Oct 14 2017 02:57, edited 1 time in total.

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Oct 14 2017 02:16

As someone in his 30s that has been playing since 5th edition - I'm having the most fun playing 40k right now than ever. This edition has some issues, but overall the ruleset is the best I've experienced.

As for fluff, I'm thinking a lot of people are having a case rose colored glasses/selective memory when comparing old fluff to the new. Since I came late to the hobby (comparatively to the age of the game-world) I've been doing a lot of catching up and I feel the quality of writing has always been inconsistent. A function of the narrative being written by multiple people. Even with the return of primarchs, the 'feel' of the setting has remained unchanged to me, so I'm neutral to the new narrative progression.

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Oct 14 2017 05:58

There's some stuff to nitpick, but overall, yeah, I like it, Tau rules aside. It does feel more to the point than some of the tiresome bloat of 7th. Just placing down reserves feels so much more actually tactical than just rolling for them to come on, rolling to see if they come in from there, rolling to see how they scatter, rolling to see if their shoelaces are tied...

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Oct 14 2017 06:00

I started with 1st edition, missed a couple in between, but without a doubt think the overall package of 8th is best by far. The most noticeable difference is their new community ethos.

First and foremost, GW is of course a business that sells toy soldiers. That's to say, the game and stories all follow the line of new minis.

In spite of that, I still think the current stories are brilliant. I've just read 13th Legion and half way through Dark Imperium and for me it all just works nice. They do have plans and plot lines, but it is all retcon for the models.

Just love it, all of it, because for all the reasons I've said, I feel like I belong, and am genuinely excited about the characters, the models, and the game more than I have before.

Viva la Warhammer!
Last edited by n1md4 on Oct 14 2017 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#8 » Oct 14 2017 06:07

n1md4 wrote:Just love it, all of it, because for all the reasons I've said, I feel like I belong, and am genuinely excited about the characters, the models, and the game for than I have before.

Viva la Warhammer!

This. So much this that feeling of excitement is what has kept me and many of my friends into warhammer for the last 10 years and unlike age of sigmar 8th ed has not doused my interest in 40k one bit infact it has pushed me into the hobby again, it's the reason I joined this forum and it's the reason I spent £30 on paint today :D
Viva la Warhammer indeed

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Oct 14 2017 07:10

Well I'm afraid it seems like I'm going to be the odd one out here. I don't like 8th edition at all.

I've talked about the subject in detail elsewhere, and I don't really feel like repeating myself, since I'm largely tired of the whole matter. What I will say is this: that regardless of any objective strengths 8th may have, I just don't find it fun.

I've actually given it a few tries now, mostly because a few friends have gotten into it (and I'm prepared to make an exception for them, since I value their friendship more than semantics over rule sets, provided that I don't have to spend money on 8th edition rules as I'm trying to vote with my wallet and therefore don't want to give any direct support to GW for 8th edition). But every time I do I don't find 8th edition enjoyable - I have fun despite the 8th edition rules, not because of them. It is telling that I have not brought my fledgling Tau army into a GW store or FLGS since 8th edition was released.

Ultimately I'm a child of 3rd edition, and that style of 40k is what I like best. 2nd edition and Rouge Trader are ultimately ancient history to me, so any throwbacks to them are of little value to me, and besides if I wanted a 2nd edition style experience I would buy a copy of the 2nd edition core rules and play 2nd edition.

I've also gone on at length on numerous other occasions about my thoughts about the new background material and aesthetic directions, so will not be repeating myself here. Suffice to say that my hatred for overt central metaplots and my disdain for the increasingly Blizzard-esque design direction GW is adopting should by now be well-known to many.

It is an interesting point raised by the last couple of posters regarding the community element. My own experience has been exactly the opposite to theirs - the recent trends in GW and the community have left me feeling less included, not more. Because I have no interest in 8th edition and still love the early 2000s 'Silver Age' era of GW, I feel increasingly ostracised and alienated by GW and the community, and my enthusiasm for 40k is at a record low (no doubt a major contributing factor to the resent epidemic of Painter's Block I've experienced over the last couple of months). I think I must be the only 40k player in the universe who does not want to see Chapter Tactics style special rules for every faction, and indeed their proliferation is a major factor AGAINST 8th edition for me.

Still, I'm largely trying to move on and peacefully co-exist with the 8th editionists. 3.5, early 4th and 6th edition are what I'm happiest with, so they're the rules that I'm using for 40k. I learnt long ago with Battlefleet Gothic and Warhammer Fantasy that I don't need the studio's blessing to enjoy a set of tabletop wargame rules. Indeed, while 8th edition and the modern 'NuGW' material does nothing for me, I still feel happy and excited and enthusiastic for 40k and tabletop games when I read through old GW publications from the early 2000s. What's more, the increasing dissatisfaction I have with GW's rules has led me to look further into the dark art of homebrew content and creating my own rules material, something that I've discovered I really enjoy.

So it's fine if you enjoy 8th edition, but it's not for me. I'll be over here with my 4th, 3.5 and 6th edition rules working on new content for them if you want me. :)
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Oct 15 2017 03:09

@Kakapo
Fair enough.
If something changes as much as GW and 40k did the past ~2 years (it really was a rather long process) it's just bound to happen that some people can't find their place in the new situation. It's always a tradeoff for a company and the community itself to change things up to such a degree and of course it's sad for some to not managing that jump.
I had the same problem in WHFB with the change to 8th (basically my whole group had that) and then even more with the switch to AoS. I still miss WHFB 7e badly.
At least you're reasonable about it and say it's just not for you anymore in it's current situation instead of the senseless GW/Primaris hate I see so much elsewhere on the internet. Kudos to that as lately it feels like a big accomplishment to be mature about that stuff in the community.
Overall though we can't deny that GW did the right thing with most things they did in the recent past. Their stocks are raising like mad and despite some negative nancys on other forums the overall mood in the community is more positive and engaging than it was back when I started with 40k in 7th.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 15 2017 01:57

Panzer wrote:@Kakapo
Fair enough.
If something changes as much as GW and 40k did the past ~2 years (it really was a rather long process) it's just bound to happen that some people can't find their place in the new situation. It's always a tradeoff for a company and the community itself to change things up to such a degree and of course it's sad for some to not managing that jump.
I had the same problem in WHFB with the change to 8th (basically my whole group had that) and then even more with the switch to AoS. I still miss WHFB 7e badly.
At least you're reasonable about it and say it's just not for you anymore in it's current situation instead of the senseless GW/Primaris hate I see so much elsewhere on the internet. Kudos to that as lately it feels like a big accomplishment to be mature about that stuff in the community.
Overall though we can't deny that GW did the right thing with most things they did in the recent past. Their stocks are raising like mad and despite some negative nancys on other forums the overall mood in the community is more positive and engaging than it was back when I started with 40k in 7th.

Not sure how senseless personal taste is. I equally dislike primaris marines for fluff and the overall aesthetic of 8th is cartoonish and " safe" Soft friendly letters that say don't panic with rounded corners.

I agree with the guy. 8Th edition really turned me off for a lot of reasons. I don't believe any of its senseless dislike. The game just doesn't feel right anymore. I have been trolled to death on other forums for expressing Any remote dislike for 8th. "Glad your being mature about it" seems to be almost like tactfully saying " never speak ill of 40k"( No offense Panzer I always like your posts) Anyway I was litterally harrased and threatened by mods and trolls on other sites when you say you don't like the "dumbing down" of 40k. People take it very personally.

But I know a bunch of people that don't like the streamline of the game.

I just find it silly in todays society anything against the grain is considered a thought crime or they are just trolls. So much that the guy above has to make an apology before he states his opinion. Sorry guys I don't intend to offend. But 8th edition is not for me.

"Kill him that's herasey"!

Ah well. I don't understand the appeal. I always loved massive games. With 6 plus people. That take days to finish or lengthy campaigns. And I really don't understand the way people feel when you say something isn't for you and they take it personally. 4th edition was and is my favorite version. 8th not so much.

However I would love to see a hybrid of 8th and 4th. With fluffy drop pods, firing arcs, NO characters, more complexity, and greater focus on troops. Not this heroes of blizzard nonsense that's going on. I think my lack of interest in 40ks new direction started when knights came out. Instead of seeing titans and massive battles with 100s of troops I saw a skirmish based game with 30 models on the table that cost more than my rent. After that you had rowboat gills man and..I stopped caring about 40k. I might get into historical minis before I upgrade to 8th. I really don't want to play a moba or skirmish game. I wanted to play 40k. Which is ironic. I spent years building up to large games dreaming of massive battles like in the fluff. But Now less is more.. I guess. Instead of 1000ths of troops you get a skirmish that decides the fate of galaxy with both players fielding epic heroes. Not my cup of tea. Anyways my 2 cents.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Oct 15 2017 02:37

As far as rules go, they are super easy to pick up and to understand. There's little in the way of rules modifying rules modifying rules that makes death stars a thing, which is great for the health of the game. The extra layer of strategy added with Stratagems was an excellent addition to the game.

The biggest triumph of 8th edition is really GWs community outreach. Gone are the days of GW literally ignoring or otherwise shutting out its own player base. FAQs and rule books are coming out faster than ever. We get developer insight into why rules work the way they work, and reliable balance added to the game as the meta changes (flyers not being able to hold Objectives or count for Troops on the field for example).

8th is probably the most consumer friendly and stable edition the game has ever seen. Talking to and opening a dialogue with your customers is a winning strategy, who knew?
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Oct 15 2017 03:56

Knives wrote:
Panzer wrote:@Kakapo
Fair enough.

Not sure how senseless personal taste is. I equally dislike primaris marines for fluff and the overall aesthetic of 8th is cartoonish and " safe" Soft friendly letters that say don't panic with rounded corners.

I agree with the guy. 8Th edition really turned me off for a lot of reasons. I don't believe any of its senseless dislike. The game just doesn't feel right anymore. I have been trolled to death on other forums for expressing Any remote dislike for 8th. "Glad your being mature about it" seems to be almost like tactfully saying " never speak ill of 40k"( No offense Panzer I always like your posts) Anyway I was litterally harrased and threatened by mods and trolls on other sites when you say you don't like the "dumbing down" of 40k. People take it very personally.

But I know a bunch of people that don't like the streamline of the game.

I just find it silly in todays society anything against the grain is considered a thought crime or they are just trolls. So much that the guy above has to make an apology before he states his opinion. Sorry guys I don't intend to offend. But 8th edition is not for me.

"Kill him that's herasey"!

Ah well. I don't understand the appeal. I always loved massive games. With 6 plus people. That take days to finish or lengthy campaigns. And I really don't understand the way people feel when you say something isn't for you and they take it personally. 4th edition was and is my favorite version. 8th not so much.

However I would love to see a hybrid of 8th and 4th. With fluffy drop pods, firing arcs, NO characters, more complexity, and greater focus on troops. Not this heroes of blizzard nonsense that's going on. I think my lack of interest in 40ks new direction started when knights came out. Instead of seeing titans and massive battles with 100s of troops I saw a skirmish based game with 30 models on the table that cost more than my rent. After that you had rowboat gills man and..I stopped caring about 40k. I might get into historical minis before I upgrade to 8th. I really don't want to play a moba or skirmish game. I wanted to play 40k. Which is ironic. I spent years building up to large games dreaming of massive battles like in the fluff. But Now less is more.. I guess. Instead of 1000ths of troops you get a skirmish that decides the fate of galaxy with both players fielding epic heroes. Not my cup of tea. Anyways my 2 cents.

That's really not what I meant with being mature about it. :D

About the last part you wrote...to be fair, GW used to be way more of a skirmish game in the past and only with the later editions became more about big armies. Also 8th is WAY less about few super strong models than 7th used to be. Now we actually see lots of infantry getting used again and all the characters that are there are with few exceptions there to support said infantry, not to win games on their own. Best example would be the conscript spam AM list and the Gun-Drone spam T'au list.

Also I don't feel like 8th is dumbed down. A lot unnecessary stuff is gone (and some necessary stuff like proper cover rules unfortunately, I give you that) but the way the rules interact with each other give you more meaningful decisions during the game than we had in 7th. Plus Stratagems and character auras add a whole new level of depth to the game.
While in 7th the gameplay was mostly about target priority and then simple point&shoot I feel like I have way more to think about and more stuff that I can do in 8th.

EDIT: quite a few typos...I shouldn't post long texts when I'm tired. :P
Last edited by Panzer on Oct 16 2017 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Oct 15 2017 10:41

I kinda miss T'au from 5th edition. That was probably my favourite edition so far, but I do like that I can run my army however I want, so I go for a 5th edition kind of feel, with some new model love of course. I still don't like the whole "detachments" thing, and would love to see the return of the Force Organisation Chart, but I suppose that's what the Patrol/Battalion detachments are for. I guess I'm being a tad too nostalgic, but hey, that's what makes current and future day stuff fun right!
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Oct 15 2017 11:38

Bloodknife92 wrote:I kinda miss T'au from 5th edition. That was probably my favourite edition so far, but I do like that I can run my army however I want, so I go for a 5th edition kind of feel, with some new model love of course. I still don't like the whole "detachments" thing, and would love to see the return of the Force Organisation Chart, but I suppose that's what the Patrol/Battalion detachments are for. I guess I'm being a tad too nostalgic, but hey, that's what makes current and future day stuff fun right!

I love 8th Edition because of how the hobby feels so revitalized, but I agree that 5th Edition was pretty great. With the old Multi-Trackers and Target Locks we had abilities no other army had, and our Hammerheads could break open tanks with a single shot. Not to mention that the classic Fireknife XV8 build was viable!

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Oct 16 2017 06:16

I can't say anything about the previous editions besides that it always prefented me from entering 40k. Now with 8th edition I feel that the step in level to get around the rules was easy enough to do so. And this is also what the hobby needed to get more people playing it as the player base needs to be filled up from bottom up to keep the hobby fresh and going.

The rules bloat as it was prevented me and now I really enjoy playing 40k, but I also still like AoS, though the break in the fluff was nasty and not so very good handled there, but they learned from it and made 8th ed 40k go more smooth.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#17 » Oct 16 2017 09:53

I'm not a fan of some of the simplified stuff, like cover, firing arcs, and armor facings. I get that armor facings needed to go to give vehicles wounds, and that armor facings could be pretty contentious. But overall, in the few games I've played so far, I'm mostly enjoying myself when it comes to rules. Unfortunately, Tau isn't really competitive this edition so far; I'll be sticking with my Marines until either the new codex or Chapter Approved fixes things. Due to all the 7th ed Tau hate, though, I don't see that happening, though I'm still cautiously optimistic.

As for the lore....meh? The new codex for Tau hasn't come out yet, so I'm on the fence about our new lore. As for Primaris Marines, I'm honestly kind of ambivalent about them. I'm not planning on buying any, though their kits do look like a bit of fun to put together. From what I've seen on a few different sites, they don't actually offer a lot competitively, which is my main focus this edition. For the rest of the lore, it's still the same classic grim-dark shenanigans abut the boys in blue that I'm still sick of and have been since fourth edition.

Kakapo, I'm curious as to why you don't like Chapter Tactics? It adds a lot of flavor, though I could wish it was a bit more balanced. Some are blatantly better than others, though it seems as though each codex is generally having at least two functional builds, which is a nice variety to see.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Oct 16 2017 11:53

One thing I like about 8th that I don't see mentioned often is the faction keyword system.
I love my Tau, I love my Dark Angels and I love my Imperial Guard.
But when I saw the abomination of Space Wolf Thunder Wolves Cavalry blended with Dark Angels Black Knights and what ever powerful character you wanted sprinkled into the mix, I felt an urge throw up.
That game was not fun to play.
I am sad to see armor facings go away, but that is because I'm generally interested in armored warfare.
But even though I'm sad about that I still see why it was removed and why the game is better off for it.
Also I don't judge an edition on how powerful my chosen army is.
I come from a time where we had wargear that modified a rule that didn't even exist anymore.
I also come from a time where RAW you could put Kroot Gnarlocs into a Devilfish.
I play to have fun, not to crush the spirit of my opponent, and this edition is helping me (and my opponent) having fun more so than any other edition of WH40k I've played.
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Return to “General Discussion”