'Ninja Tau' and the New Codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Juicy Fruit
Shas

'Ninja Tau' and the New Codex

Post#1 » Oct 17 2017 02:11

I've been playing around with a ninja tau list and would like to see stratagems that make this play style more viable and encourage those who choose it to pick other Battlesuits rather than just Commanders. The roll off for 'who goes first' change also hurt. The potential for your Stealthsuits to be left flapping in the wind is further increased beyond the command point-able 'seize the initiative' roll.

My suggestion for stratagems to help this play style:

Stealthsuit version of Krootox Rider 'Agile Brute' - 1 CP
Use this stratagem at the start of the movement phase; select an XV25 Stealth Battlesuit unit. When this unit advances, add 6" to its Move for that Movement phase instead of rolling a D6. This unit may not shoot, charge or overwatch until the start of your next turn.

T'au version of AM 'Aerial Spotter' - 2 CP
Use this stratagem at the start of the shooting phase. Pick an XV8 Crisis Battlesuit unit that has arrived on the battlefield this turn. One model from that unit may re-roll all failed hit rolls in this phase.

T'au version of AM 'Cadia - Overlapping Fields of Fire' - 2CP
When a Battlesuit unit causes an unsaved wound on an enemy Vehicle or Monster, use this stratagem. All other Battlesuit units add 1 to hit when firing at that Vehicle or Monster. Characters may not benefit from the effect of this stratagem but may trigger it.

N.B: I considered adding this to the 'Upcoming T'au Codex ' thread but felt it was enough of a separate topic to warrant a separate thread.
Primum conatus pessimi

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: 'Ninja Tau' and the New Codex

Post#2 » Oct 17 2017 02:32

I don't think I'd ever use the Stealth Suit Stratagem unless i really really really need to get to that one objective lol
The rest sounds okay-ish.

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 17 2017 05:16

The idea of the Stealth Suit Stratagem is to give them a 14" move to drop their homing beacon somewhere useful and allow you to deploy a little more defensively.
Primum conatus pessimi

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 18 2017 01:12

I really rarely have the problem of dropping the Homing Beacon somewhere useful though. Infiltrating 12" away from the enemy, 8" move, ~3.5" advance should let them get where needed unless you screwed up your deployment.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 18 2017 02:54

The juiciest Strategems I've seen yet have been in Adeptus Mechanicus and Imperial Guard, I think:

(AdMech) Elimination Volley - Grants +1 to hit rolls for certain units when they are near each other. Fire Warriors and Sniper Drones? XV8s and Stealthsuits? There could be some interesting combinations here.

(Admech) Wrath of Mars - Bonus Mortal Wound on to-hit rolls of 6. You can imagine why this would be good. This would make Tau brutal, especially with +1 to hit buffs.

(IG) Overlapping Fields of Fire - Grants +1 to wound if a certain unit scored an unsaved wound. This would be especially great for Fire Warriors, and fluffy too.

(IG) Born Soldiers - Upgrades re-rolling ones to re-rolling all hits. If we got this in the form of a Sept trait (maybe if a unit didn't move) that could solve the problem of our overabundance of re-rolling ones abilities.

(IG) Storm Troopers - Units get an extra shot for every to-hit roll of 6+. Not amazing but it could be fun as a Sept trait.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 18 2017 02:55

CSM has some very neat ones as well.
Slaanesh infantry shooting twice.
-> Crisis after manta strike shooting twice? Maybe for FSE?
Getting +1 on to-wound rolls.
-> That's a very universal one that could be applied to any unit.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 19 2017 08:48

Arka0415 wrote:(IG) Storm Troopers - Units get an extra shot for every to-hit roll of 6+. Not amazing but it could be fun as a Sept trait.

It doesn't seem amazing but it's more than just fun, adding 16% more shots as standard would be insane on drones with a controller nearby 6 gun drones would fire 24 shots and get 16 hits with DC compared to12 and that's without markerlight support

Return to “General Discussion”