Tau's most annoying weakness. Thoughts?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Tau's most annoying weakness. Thoughts?

Post#55 » Oct 20 2017 06:47

Panzer wrote:Strong? Yes. Too strong? No. Markerlights are very vulnerable and so far our suits are very expensive.

On the other side of the fence we have:
- Assault Cannon Razorbacks who are 1. Dedicated Transports, 2. have 12 S6 AP-1 shots at BS3+ for just 100p
- Characters with re-roll to hit auras (both kind, 1s and failed ones) and are WAY harder to remove than Markerlights (and don't need to hit their BS4+ shots in the first place), without having to stay stationary and without it being a once-per-game bonus like with our HQs
- Lascannon wielding infantry and tanks cheaper than our comparable stuff, in case of Slaanesh CSM they can even shoot twice
- Slaanesh Terminators who drop in and shoot 20 Plasma shots hitting on 3+, re-rolling 1s with a nearby Lord
- +1 to-wound stratagems
- +1 to-hit psychic powers
- -1 to-hit psychic powers
- 5+ FnP psychic powers
- a ton of other shenanigans

You're talking about the best case where we have all our Markerlights left and managed to get our max bonus. It's literally the best we could possibly pull off in your scenario. If the enemy goes first or deployed out of LoS or in reserves for a beta strike he will aim to remove our Markerlights for sure so we won't get all the bonuses while the other armies buffs are usually on characters and stratagems who aren't as easily countered.
Most rounds you would probably only hit with 1-3 Markerlights and not 4.

Also, our weapons aren't stronger than others. Our Plasma is weaker even. We just happen to be able to put more of those on a single model. Space Marines usually play Devastators or Company/Vanguards Vets where they can give every model a plasma, melta or lascannon as well.
Only our basic weapons are stronger which we usually opt to not take too unless we play a gunline or drone spam list (and the drone spam is a very new concept even).

Yeah, I think what people are missing is the fact that the other armies get synergies that are absolutely bonkers. What's our craziest synergy? Stacking our Fire Warriors with three different non-stacking re-rolling ones buffs while Slaanesh units get access to nonsensical levels of power?

Man, there are times when I wish I played any other army. But nope, we're going to work together and make Tau the best faction in the game or we're going to die trying! :biggrin:

mason8ah
Shas'Saal

Post#56 » Oct 20 2017 07:26

Panzer wrote:Strong? Yes. Too strong? No. Markerlights are very vulnerable and so far our suits are very expensive.

On the other side of the fence we have:
- Assault Cannon Razorbacks who are 1. Dedicated Transports, 2. have 12 S6 AP-1 shots at BS3+ for just 100p
- Characters with re-roll to hit auras (both kind, 1s and failed ones) and are WAY harder to remove than Markerlights (and don't need to hit their BS4+ shots in the first place), without having to stay stationary and without it being a once-per-game bonus like with our HQs
- Lascannon wielding infantry and tanks cheaper than our comparable stuff, in case of Slaanesh CSM they can even shoot twice
- Slaanesh Terminators who drop in and shoot 20 Plasma shots hitting on 3+, re-rolling 1s with a nearby Lord
- +1 to-wound stratagems
- +1 to-hit psychic powers
- -1 to-hit psychic powers
- 5+ FnP psychic powers
- a ton of other shenanigans

You're talking about the best case where we have all our Markerlights left and managed to get our max bonus. It's literally the best we could possibly pull off in your scenario. If the enemy goes first or deployed out of LoS or in reserves for a beta strike he will aim to remove our Markerlights for sure so we won't get all the bonuses while the other armies buffs are usually on characters and stratagems who aren't as easily countered.
Most rounds you would probably only hit with 1-3 Markerlights and not 4.

Also, our weapons aren't stronger than others. Our Plasma is weaker even. We just happen to be able to put more of those on a single model. Space Marines usually play Devastators or Company/Vanguards Vets where they can give every model a plasma, melta or lascannon as well.
Only our basic weapons are stronger which we usually opt to not take too unless we play a gunline or drone spam list (and the drone spam is a very new concept even).

I'd agree here, I can see how it's it seems too strong and I'm 100% sure we wont get a table anywhere near like this in the new codex.
BUT when you consider there are 4 phases to every turn in 40k:
1. Move
2. Psychic
3. Shoot
4. Combat.
And Tau only get to use 2 of those. Move and Shoot, (+ maybe a smidgen of combat, but mainly to tie up units rather than take them out, at great risk to ourselves)

With all other armies using all 4 phases and the likes of marines 3+BS or 2+ re-rolling 1s with a character near, which is SO much more efficient than having to use markerlights.
PLUS add in the fact that we don't have any snipers so can't take out characters where they can take Pathfinders out easily. No sniper drones are even worth considering, 5+ BS or AT BEST 4+ is NOT a sniper, they cannot benefit from markerlights cos if the markerlights can target them, so can much more effective weaponry, and the 1 markerlight the marksman has at 4+BS doesn't do much even if it hits. (There is the forgeworld sniper commander though I really want to field against Guard. But forgeworld can't really count as it's not 'official'.)
Marines have awesome snipers, scouts 2+BS 2+ cover save. A shooty army like Tau with no snipers is disgraceful in my opnion.

So I'm in favour of the markerlight table above, OR making pathfinders snipers (or at least rail rifles) so Sniper drones can use the markerlights to get a 3+BS ignores cover and maybe some seeker missiles on it (ok maybe the seekers are a bit OP)
mason8ah

Nothing fancy.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#57 » Oct 20 2017 07:41

mason8ah wrote:
With all other armies using all 4 phases and the likes of marines 3+BS or 2+ re-rolling 1s with a character near, which is SO much more efficient than having to use markerlights.
PLUS add in the fact that we don't have any snipers so can't take out characters where they can take Pathfinders out easily. No sniper drones are even worth considering, 5+ BS or AT BEST 4+ is NOT a sniper, they cannot benefit from markerlights cos if the markerlights can target them, so can much more effective weaponry, and the 1 markerlight the marksman has at 4+BS doesn't do much even if it hits. (There is the forgeworld sniper commander though I really want to field against Guard. But forgeworld can't really count as it's not 'official'.)
Marines have awesome snipers, scouts 2+BS 2+ cover save. A shooty army like Tau with no snipers is disgraceful in my opnion.

So I'm in favour of the markerlight table above, OR making pathfinders snipers (or at least rail rifles) so Sniper drones can use the markerlights to get a 3+BS ignores cover and maybe some seeker missiles on it (ok maybe the seekers are a bit OP)

A bunch of mistakes there:
- Sniper Drones get up to BS3+ (Marksman + Drone Controller)
- Marksman have BS3+ and aren't sniper so they wouldn't be able to shoot at characters anyway
- Marine Scouts have BS3+

Doesn't change the fact that Sniper aren't worth it though. Even the Marine ones are barely worth it.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#58 » Oct 20 2017 08:02

Panzer wrote:Doesn't change the fact that Sniper aren't worth it though. Even the Marine ones are barely worth it.

I guess there aren't too many snipers that are really worth it. Though it would be nice if we could get a character-buster like a Vindicare. Sniper Drone with a Railgun anyone? :D

In all seriousness though, does anyone think Sniper Drones might get a good stratagem? I don't know why, but I have a feeling that's going to be the case.

mason8ah
Shas'Saal

Post#59 » Oct 20 2017 08:23

Panzer wrote:
mason8ah wrote:

A bunch of mistakes there:
- Sniper Drones get up to BS3+ (Marksman + Drone Controller)
- Marksman have BS3+ and aren't sniper so they wouldn't be able to shoot at characters anyway
- Marine Scouts have BS3+

Doesn't change the fact that Sniper aren't worth it though. Even the Marine ones are barely worth it.

I must be missing something. Sniper drones are BS 5+, The Firesight Marksman is BS 3+ with a drone uplink "you can add 1 to hit rolls for sniper drones in the shooting phase when they attack a unit visible to a friendly Firesight Marksman."
That would make them a 4+.
(that's what it says on the BattleScribe app anyway)
EDIT - Are you saying stack it with a crisis suit next to it with a drone controller? I wouldn't think that would be a good use of a suit. Maybe a static Missile pod suit. Or a broadside, but they're not worth their points at all.
Last edited by mason8ah on Oct 20 2017 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
mason8ah

Nothing fancy.

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#60 » Oct 20 2017 08:25

mason8ah wrote:I must be missing something. Sniper drones are BS 5+, The Firesight Marksman is BS 3+ with a drone uplink "you can add 1 to hit rolls for sniper drones in the shooting phase when they attack a unit visible to a friendly Firesight Marksman."

I think he meant with Firesight Marksman, and a Drone Controller (also a +1 to hit) sniper drones become BS 3+ but this requires a piece of equipment, rather than being part of the standard profile/deployment.
He does specifiy "up to" BS 3+, so I think the point he was trying to make is that you can get BS 3+ snipers for T'au (the same accuracy as SM snipers) without having to use markerlights at all.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#61 » Oct 20 2017 08:32

Harkus959 wrote:
mason8ah wrote:I must be missing something. Sniper drones are BS 5+, The Firesight Marksman is BS 3+ with a drone uplink "you can add 1 to hit rolls for sniper drones in the shooting phase when they attack a unit visible to a friendly Firesight Marksman."

I think he meant with Firesight Marksman, and a Drone Controller (also a +1 to hit) sniper drones become BS 3+ but this requires a piece of equipment, rather than being part of the standard profile/deployment.
He does specifiy "up to" BS 3+, so I think the point he was trying to make is that you can get BS 3+ snipers for T'au (the same accuracy as SM snipers) without having to use markerlights at all.

Actually no you're still Bs 5+ with +2 to hit, it doesn't seem to make a difference but I think that's why sniper drones don't get the 6+ mortal wound other snipers get because If you did have a Stealth suit or something nearby and marksman then they would hit on 3+ and cause extra MW on 4+

So if we do get something that triggers an extra effect on 6+ might make sniper drones more usable

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#62 » Oct 20 2017 08:35

mason8ah wrote:EDIT - Are you saying stack it with a crisis suit next to it with a drone controller? I wouldn't think that would be a good use of a suit. Maybe a static Missile pod suit. Or a broadside, but they're not worth their points at all.

It's worth noting that the sniper drones don't have to be near the marksman to gain the bonus, they just have to be shooting at something he has LoS for. So, if you have a suit in your army that already has a drone controller (for gun drone buffs presumably) feel free to have your sniper drones tag along with that suit. As long as they're shooting at a target visible to the marksman, they'll get the +1 from the drone uplink, and the +1 from the drone controller and they still have saviour protocols so they can even pitch in to protect the suit if need be.

PLUS longshot pulse rifles are still rapid fire, so following the suit around is much more likely to let you pump out twice as many shots at enemy characters, at (effectively) BS3+.

That point you make about the bonus being to your "to hit" rolls and not your BS is a good one Nymphomanius and something I hadn't considered before. Doesn't really make a difference to your accuracy for the most part, but it will affect those specific situations where you need a roll a 6+, etc.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#63 » Oct 20 2017 08:47

Nymphomanius wrote:
Harkus959 wrote:

Actually no you're still Bs 5+ with +2 to hit, it doesn't seem to make a difference but I think that's why sniper drones don't get the 6+ mortal wound other snipers get because If you did have a Stealth suit or something nearby and marksman then they would hit on 3+ and cause extra MW on 4+

So if we do get something that triggers an extra effect on 6+ might make sniper drones more usable

You're right but for the normal hitting it's the same. You hit on 3+ with a Marksman and a Drone Controller nearby.
Also that's a rather weak reason for not getting Mortal wounds on 6+. If they wanted to avoid the Marksman and Drone Controller to let us deal Mortal wounds on 4+, they could have written it like "deals mortal wounds on 8+" or "7+" even. Or something else. So many ways to adjust things. However I do think Mortal wounds on 4+ would fix Sniper weapons somewhat. :P

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#64 » Oct 20 2017 08:49

Panzer wrote:I'm still promoting my reworked Markerlight table:
1. Re-roll 1s
2. Missiles at users BS, +1 to-hit
3. Ignore Cover
4. +1 to-hit

It basically fused the 2nd and 3rd bonus and made the "ignore movement penalties" into a +1 to-hit because it's basically the same thing just before it was very siuational and very clunky to use because you have to move/advance before shooting Markerlights.
We could even add other stuff for a 5th bonus. Stronger Missiles or whatever.

Like a lot of other people I believe it would be too easy to achieve the +2 BS. I actually think the current table is not good but is actually pretty close if it could be tweaked a bit. Consider what bonuses we get.

1 Markerlight - Generic great buff
2 Markerlight - Situational buff but one that needs to be low to make a one use piece of wargear function
3 Markerlight - Situational buff that is good when it occurs
4 Markerlight - Situational buff that is very good when it occurs
5 Markerlight - Great capstone buff and a major incentive to go all the way.

The problem isn't 1 and 5 it's 2,3 and 4 are so mediocre and situational. What if it was something like this?

1 Markerlight - Generic good buff
2 Markerlight - Situational buffs that need to be reliable to enable a playstyle
3 Markerlight - Generic good buff

In my mind it would go something like this

1 Markerlight - Re-roll 1's to hit
2 Markerlight - Fire Missiles at users BS, Ignore penalties for moving with heavy weapons and advancing with assault
3 Markerlight - Re-roll 1's to wound (Could represent head shots or finding the chink in the armor)
4 Markerlight - Ignore Cover
5 Markerlight - +1 to Hit

I like this design because it makes every markerlight relevant. It also means you could realistically plan to have your heavy weapons move and shoot or assault weapons advance and shoot without the penalty. Two hits are easy enough to get so you would be able to reliably expect to be able to get it off. It's like +1 to hit when you use the abilities and helps us out in our movement phase. 3 was the hardest to find another generic buff that was different from the others and made sense and honestly I'm not super sold on it. But re-rolling 1's to wound would be something people would want to stretch for especially for their big guns. It could even be an additional -1 AP on a wound roll of 6 or something. Then the rest of the table is fine. I think a larger table is good and preferable so long as everything stays relevant.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#65 » Oct 20 2017 08:53

Draaen wrote:
1. Re-roll 1s
3. Ignore Cover
4. +1 to-hit

It basically fused the 2nd and 3rd bonus and made the "ignore movement penalties" into a +1 to-hit because it's basically the same thing just before it was very siuational and very clunky to use because you have to move/advance before shooting Markerlights.

Like a lot of other people I believe it would be too easy to achieve the +2 BS. I actually think the current table is not good but is actually pretty close if it could be tweaked a bit. Consider what bonuses we get.

2 Markerlight - Situational buff but one that needs to be low to make a one use piece of wargear function

The problem isn't 1 and 5 it's 2,3 and 4 are so mediocre and situational. What if it was something like this?

2 Markerlight - Situational buffs that need to be reliable to enable a playstyle

2 Markerlight - Fire Missiles at users BS, Ignore penalties for moving with heavy weapons and advancing with assault
3 Markerlight - Re-roll 1's to wound (Could represent head shots or finding the chink in the armor)

I like this design because it makes every markerlight relevant. It also means you could realistically plan to have your heavy weapons move and shoot or assault weapons advance and shoot without the penalty. Two hits are easy enough to get so you would be able to reliably expect to be able to get it off. It's like +1 to hit when you use the abilities and helps us out in our movement phase. 3 was the hardest to find another generic buff that was different from the others and made sense and honestly I'm not super sold on it. But re-rolling 1's to wound would be something people would want to stretch for especially for their big guns. It could even be an additional -1 AP on a wound roll of 6 or something. Then the rest of the table is fine. I think a larger table is good and preferable so long as everything stays relevant.

Your table wouldn't fix the main point of a Markerlight table rework though. The point was to get more reliably a +1 to-hit. On yours it's still the 5th bonus. The +1 to-hit shouldn't be the great capstone, it should be the main point of shooting Markerlights at all. To make T'au work with BS4+ it has to be somewhere on the middle of the table. 2nd or 3rd bonus.
Also I'm still not convinced that my table would be too strong. Like, at all.

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#66 » Oct 20 2017 09:02

Panzer wrote:Also that's a rather weak reason for not getting Mortal wounds on 6+. If they wanted to avoid the Marksman and Drone Controller to let us deal Mortal wounds on 4+, they could have written it like "deals mortal wounds on 8+" or "7+" even. Or something else. So many ways to adjust things. However I do think Mortal wounds on 4+ would fix Sniper weapons somewhat. :P

The simplest would probably be to say "inflicts an additional mortal wound on an unmodifed to-hit roll of 6". Although, sniper weapons in other armies can inflict the mortal wounds from modified rules (or at least, there's nothing explicitly stating that they can't, and the fact that it's a roll of 6+ rather than a roll of 6 shows that they're definitely allowing for modifiers as it's impossible to roll higher than 6 on a D6) so technically it shouldn't be any different for the T'au. I just don't think other armies have as many ways of gaining to-hit bonuses.

Still, if the mortal wound represents hitting a weak spot/critical location/vital organ/etc, it shoudn't matter how we achieve that 6+, if we make our guns accurate enough to hit those weak points, we should still get the bonus for hitting those weak points.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#67 » Oct 20 2017 09:11

Panzer wrote:
Draaen wrote:
1. Re-roll 1s
3. Ignore Cover
4. +1 to-hit

Your table wouldn't fix the main point of a Markerlight table rework though. The point was to get more reliably a +1 to-hit. On yours it's still the 5th bonus. The +1 to-hit shouldn't be the great capstone, it should be the main point of shooting Markerlights at all. To make T'au work with BS4+ it has to be somewhere on the middle of the table. 2nd or 3rd bonus.
Also I'm still not convinced that my table would be too strong. Like, at all.

Okay potentially I presented the wrong generic option for number 3. You say you want +1 to hit you want to hit but what I think you mean is you want to hit more. Instead of +1 at 3 why not Re-roll all misses? That's a good table of buffs and a natural progression to the Re-roll 1's. Or move +1 to hit to 3 and re-roll all misses to 5? That's a strong table.

My point is the problem with the current table is that we don't get anything really good except at 1 and 5 and 2 is far too limited and 3 while good is not enough to reliably plan around it. Merge the current 2 and 3 and make the new 3 attractive and the table looks pretty good to me.

If all 5 markerlight bonuses were good and relevant why would you not want 5 potential buffs vs 4?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#68 » Oct 20 2017 09:14

Please don't try to interpret what I'm saying. I said exactly what I meant.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#69 » Oct 20 2017 09:33

Panzer wrote:Please don't try to interpret what I'm saying. I said exactly what I meant.

Sorry didn't mean to offend.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#70 » Oct 20 2017 09:34

No offense taken. ;)

Supershrew
Shas'Saal

Post#71 » Oct 20 2017 09:52

I’m afraid I have defected from tau and have started a death guard army until the codex comes out . With more and more armies having access to -1 to hit Buffs ( raven guard etc) I just don’t think bs 4+ can cut it . It is ridiculous that a riptide at 300 point plus is only hitting on 5+ against loads of armies . Whilst I think you can play tau semi competitively your lists options are too restricted and I got bored of playing commanders and drones. Our big suits need serious rebalancing and without psychic powers, combat or allies we are too one dimensional to either be that competitive or fun. I would argue that we are the faction most in need of a codex right now, given that loads of the index is not playable. My most annoying weakness is that everything we have , other factions have it but better. Our buffs are poor and don’t fit with a mobile army . Markerlights are poor and struggle to live past turn 2 .when marines get rerolls 3+ and we need 5 markerlight hits to get that you know you have problems .

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#72 » Oct 20 2017 09:56

Supershrew wrote:I’m afraid I have defected from tau and have started a death guard army until the codex comes out . With more and more armies having access to -1 to hit Buffs ( raven guard etc) I just don’t think bs 4+ can cut it . It is ridiculous that a riptide at 300 point plus is only hitting on 5+ against loads of armies . Whilst I think you can play tau semi competitively your lists options are too restricted and I got bored of playing commanders and drones. Our big suits need serious rebalancing and without psychic powers, combat or allies we are too one dimensional to either be that competitive or fun. I would argue that we are the faction most in need of a codex right now, given that loads of the index is not playable. My most annoying weakness is that everything we have , other factions have it but better. Our buffs are poor and don’t fit with a mobile army . Markerlights are poor and struggle to live past turn 2 .when marines get rerolls 3+ and we need 5 markerlight hits to get that you know you have problems .

To rub salt into the wound, Craftworld Eldar just got a -1 to hit at >12" Attribute as well and it even applies to their Knights and Flyer. Oh boy I can't wait to hit stuff on 5+ and 6+!

Return to “General Discussion”