Start Collecting box and 4th ed. conversion advice

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Start Collecting box and 4th ed. conversion advice

Post#19 » Nov 01 2017 06:56

Nymphomanius wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:Is that an official rule? Because I honestly couldn't care less about fluff

Not an official rule, but WYSIWYG is pretty important. If you have two Fire Warriors, and one is T'au and one is Vior'la, and they're identical, that could be an issue, or at least a nuisance for your opponent.

I wouldn't know what that means but 1 firewarriors squad is blue, one pink, and one yellow
My crisis suits are green, orange, and red
My head Commander is purple
Another pink
Another black
I haven't painted my stealth suits yet but I'm thinking blue and green
Black and gold for the ghostkeel sounds bossing
And deep blue metallic silver for the piranha

Haven't decided on pathfinders colours yet

WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get.
That means the model represent the rules for it. Mainly weapons but also includes other gear and with 8th edition often specific color schemes as well (depends on the group and the tournament, but having two different Septs look different is the main purpose here, not necessarily to use the right color schemes).

Since you already use so many different color schemes in your army that could become a problem in the future, but if your group is fine with you just saying one unit belongs to one Sept and the other unit belongs to the other Sept and if they can keep in mind which unit is which it should be fine. Alternatively think about marking those units in a different way than using Sept colors. Maybe bases with a different rim color for each Sept.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Nov 01 2017 07:09

Panzer wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Not an official rule, but WYSIWYG is pretty important. If you have two Fire Warriors, and one is T'au and one is Vior'la, and they're identical, that could be an issue, or at least a nuisance for your opponent.

I wouldn't know what that means but 1 firewarriors squad is blue, one pink, and one yellow
Another pink
Another black

That means the model represent the rules for it. Mainly weapons but also includes other gear and with 8th edition often specific color schemes as well (depends on the group and the tournament, but having two different Septs look different is the main purpose here, not necessarily to use the right color schemes).

Since you already use so many different color schemes in your army that could become a problem in the future, but if your group is fine with you just saying one unit belongs to one Sept and the other unit belongs to the other Sept and if they can keep in mind which unit is which it should be fine. Alternatively think about marking those units in a different way than using Sept colors. Maybe bases with a different rim color for each Sept.

Sorry I wasn't clear I know what WYSIWYG is but not the difference between T'au and Vio'rla :D

I'll probably stick to 1 sept anyway or as I would with Am separate by unit type keep it simple :biggrin:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Nov 01 2017 07:11

Nymphomanius wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear I know what WYSIWYG is but not the difference between T'au and Vio'rla :D

I'll probably stick to 1 sept anyway or as I would with Am separate by unit type keep it simple :biggrin:

There's no difference yet, but there will be! :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Nov 01 2017 07:20

Nymphomanius wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:
Another pink
Another black

Sorry I wasn't clear I know what WYSIWYG is but not the difference between T'au and Vio'rla :D

Well the difference between T'au and Vior'la rules-wise is basically non currently.
Only thing would be that Aun'Shi has the Vior'la faction keyword fix and other special characters the T'au one fix so if an ability says it only affects friendly T'AU SEPT INFANTRY and lets say the unit with that ability is from Vior'la Sept, it wouldn't work on Shadowsun or etc. since they are from T'au Sept but it would work on Aun'Shi since he is from Vior'la Sept.
In future, when we get our Codex, it also means that they can't be in the same detachment without you losing access to Stratagems, Relics, Warlord traits etc.

Visually the difference would be white sept&rank markings for T'au and red sept&rank markings for Vior'la if we go with the official color schemes of course.

Of course if you want to stick to only one Sept anyway you won't have any problems. I suggest though not to change the Sept rules you're using all the time. I'm always in favor of being consistent with things so it doesn't confuse regular opponents since that would only frustrate everyone.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Nov 01 2017 09:01

I'm a pretty consistent guy normally,

If I was SM it would be salamanders all the way
Stormtroopers for AM
Couldn't say for CSM don't like the army enough to care
Alatoic is only decent craftworld imo #spiderbansheearmy
And Graia for AdMech

So I'll probably find a sept that suits my style and stick to that :D

P.S. I'm hoping we get the salamander rule that would be so bossing on things like piranha and broadsides

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Nov 01 2017 09:16

Nymphomanius wrote:So I'll probably find a sept that suits my style and stick to that :D

P.S. I'm hoping we get the salamander rule that would be so bossing on things like piranha and broadsides

The issue is just that some players who already have their sept decided (I play T'au) might end up high-and-dry with terrible rules. What if, for example, FSE got XV8s that re-roll ones and T'au got army-wide +1LD? FSE would be decent while T'au would be awful.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Nov 01 2017 09:21

Arka0415 wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:So I'll probably find a sept that suits my style and stick to that :D

The issue is just that some players who already have their sept decided (I play T'au) might end up high-and-dry with terrible rules. What if, for example, FSE got XV8s that re-roll ones and T'au got army-wide +1LD? FSE would be decent while T'au would be awful.

For tournament player it would suck, yes. For fluff player, I don't see the problem that much. It's the same as it has always been for Space Marines. You like a Sept/Chapter, you stick with it no matter the rules. There are good times and there are bad times for everyone. ^^

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Nov 02 2017 05:02

Nymphomanius wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:Is that an official rule? Because I honestly couldn't care less about fluff

Not an official rule, but WYSIWYG is pretty important. If you have two Fire Warriors, and one is T'au and one is Vior'la, and they're identical, that could be an issue, or at least a nuisance for your opponent.

Another pink
Another black

Wow. Do you have maybe a photo of your army. I would really like to see it.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Nov 02 2017 07:00

Studioworks wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Not an official rule, but WYSIWYG is pretty important. If you have two Fire Warriors, and one is T'au and one is Vior'la, and they're identical, that could be an issue, or at least a nuisance for your opponent.

Another pink
Another black

In work atm I'll take some later, though how do you upload pictures? I've seen people do it but can't see any add attachments or upload photos options??

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Nov 02 2017 07:22

Nymphomanius wrote:
Studioworks wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:
Another pink
Another black

In work atm I'll take some later, though how do you upload pictures? I've seen people do it but can't see any add attachments or upload photos options??

You could always just upload it on imgur or another image hoster and then copy the direct link here using the [ img ] tags.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Nov 02 2017 09:44

Here goes nothing, I found these on my phone from the other day, first pic is my devilfish being ganged up on by Admech
2nd is some space Marines I had lying around I'm converting to the greater good
3Rd is a chaos cultist getting the same treatment :D

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Nov 03 2017 01:00

Panzer wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:
Studioworks wrote:Wow. Do you have maybe a photo of your army. I would really like to see it.

You could always just upload it on imgur or another image hoster and then copy the direct link here using the [ img ] tags.

Thanks for that info Panzer I never knew how to do this
Here's a few more pictures showing some converted models and one of each painted unit, though the orange needs stripping and starting from scratch.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#31 » Nov 27 2017 03:04

So, slowly assembling my models, I need a tactical advice, currently am working on fire warriors, allready have 12 old + 2 new strikers leaving 2 old and 8 new to be (re) assembled.

Should I assemble some breachers and if so, how many would be optional?

I am going to aim for minimal squads and also try to outsource infantry duties to drones, but with the new stratagem eating CP I will be fielding the warriors for CP detachments

Return to “General Discussion”