Concrete objectives

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Concrete objectives

Post#1 » Oct 23 2017 05:49

I was never a fan of victory points.
I've always wanted to play a game where objectives grant you benefits, such as capturing a satellite dish and getting better deep strike.

Does anyone know of a source where I can get alternative objective rules?

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Concrete objectives

Post#2 » Oct 23 2017 07:25

You could always use the mysterious objective rules from the previous edition. I didn't like them, so I made my own mysterious objectives in the last edition. I can't remember for the life of me what they were, but I know that one was a kind of light refraction anomaly that gave a cover bonus, and one was a warp anomaly that had a small chance(2 rolls of 6 on a D6) to teleport the unit to another random objective. They were cool, but not too powerful.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Oct 23 2017 07:34

Warhammer 40,000 rulebooks generally contain some advice on creating your own special scenario rules, usually included as part of a hobby section towards the back, but I am unsure if this trend was continued with 8th edition.

If you can find them, another great source of inspiration are old White Dwarf magazines, which are a rich source of ideas and tips for custom rules (often including a few examples themselves). While the exact mechanics may not be applicable to 8th, much of the general principles should still be useful to keep in mind.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Oct 23 2017 07:38

Temennigru wrote:I was never a fan of victory points.
I've always wanted to play a game where objectives grant you benefits, such as capturing a satellite dish and getting better deep strike.

You could handily just do a game about capturing emplacements, that you can then use. Honestly, I just say use your imagination; custom scenarios are part of the fun.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 23 2017 08:11

You could use the Twist cards from the Open War deck. Capture this particular objective and next turn this specific Twist comes into play. You could possibly use the Ruse and Sudden Death cards that way too.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 24 2017 12:08

Bloodknife92 wrote:You could always use the mysterious objective rules from the previous edition. I didn't like them, so I made my own mysterious objectives in the last edition. I can't remember for the life of me what they were, but I know that one was a kind of light refraction anomaly that gave a cover bonus, and one was a warp anomaly that had a small chance(2 rolls of 6 on a D6) to teleport the unit to another random objective. They were cool, but not too powerful.

^ this
Just use the mysterious objective rules. Modify them if you don't like something about it. They are still in the 8th edition rules even. Overall all the narrative missions have interesting and fun rules (keep in mind that you can play Narrative mission with points instead of power levels as well if you prefer them like most people).

The Open War cards can make for really good games as well (can be used with any game mode, not just open play) and if you want only specific cards from it, then just take those manually instead of drawing them randomly.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 24 2017 12:59

R.D. wrote:

You could handily just do a game about capturing emplacements, that you can then use. Honestly, I just say use your imagination; custom scenarios are part of the fun.

The problem with homebrewing is balance.
Spending a couple hours on a broken game is not fun.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 24 2017 01:01

You shouldn't worry too much about balance when doing such scenarios. It's more about the narrative than true balance. Hence why the rules differentiate between narrative scenarios and matched play scenarios.

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Oct 24 2017 01:33

Temennigru wrote:
R.D. wrote:

The problem with homebrewing is balance.
Spending a couple hours on a broken game is not fun.

As long as you're sensible about it you'll be fine; like just having equal numbers of possible boons. Especially as these are usually just friendly narrative games.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Oct 25 2017 12:36

I also have a problem with symmetric games.

One thing me and my friends came up with was:

Linear narrative:
Defender has a 3X point army
Attacker has a 2X point army

Defender deploys first. He can deploy up to X points.
Attacker deploys up to 2X points second.

Attacker goes first.

Whenever a defending player's unit moves off the edge, it gets added as a bonus to the next phase.

There are 3 points to capture. Each one granting a specific bonus.
Some benefits I thought about:
6 inch deep strike (communications array)
+2 BS per turn for 1 unit (targeting array)
+1 invuln save to up to 3 units (shield generator)
X points in upgrades (munitions depot)
Refresh models in one unit (teleport beacon)
Refresh wounds in one unit (automated medical unit)

One objective gets added to the defender's deployment zone at his choice of location.
Defenders start off gaining its bonus.

When that objective is captured, attackers gain the bonus it grants for the rest of the game.
The table is then reset. Any units that were deployed by the attackers may not be placed on reserve.
Defenders then deploy up to X points again, plus the units that fell back during the last phase. The next objective is then placed in the defender's side.

A few additional side-objectives could possibly be added.

Return to “General Discussion”