Talk about Farsight and Shadowsun

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
armisael
Shas'Saal

Talk about Farsight and Shadowsun

Post#1 » Oct 25 2017 09:48

Hi all Tau friend,

I just started playing 40K in this edition.
I love the lore of Commander Shadowsun and Commander Farsight.
But I'm a little bit sad because they not seem viable in our index. :::(

But what's about previous edition?
Are they good?
Please share! :D

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: Talk about Farsight and Shadowsun

Post#2 » Oct 25 2017 10:26

I'm trying to acquire units to make shadowsun more playable. I think a turn one and turn two kayoun could be devastating back to back with long range units like hammerhead tanks and stormsurge

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 26 2017 02:12

Just use Shadowsun and have fun, it's simple :) I'm using her almost all the time and it's great to pair her with a Stealth team and Drones. Stealth field, cover, deploy whenever you want, homing beacon, mayor Fusion blaster damage. Super fun.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 26 2017 04:34

Special characters should be taken for fluff/narrative reasons, not because they are powerful tbh.

But to answer your question, Shadowsun used to have some niche uses and the Farsight bomb used to be a valid list build (no scatter deep strike for his Crisis unit so you could accurately blast a unit away), however the generic Commander was always a very strong, if not stronger, option compared to those two.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 26 2017 04:48

I like Shadowsun a lot and do play her a lot.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 26 2017 05:48

As units that are locked to strange loadouts for fluff reasons, Shadowsun and Farsight will probably never be powerful. That's okay though- play them because you like them, not because they're powerful. That's what special characters are for.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 27 2017 02:37

Arka0415 wrote:As units that are locked to strange loadouts for fluff reasons, Shadowsun and Farsight will probably never be powerful. That's okay though- play them because you like them, not because they're powerful. That's what special characters are for.

Tell that to girlyman :(

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 27 2017 04:58

StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:As units that are locked to strange loadouts for fluff reasons, Shadowsun and Farsight will probably never be powerful. That's okay though- play them because you like them, not because they're powerful. That's what special characters are for.

Tell that to girlyman :(

Well that's the difference between a special character with custom gear and an ultra (no pun intended) useful aura....and special characters with a meh special rule and a fix loadout consisting of basic weaponry like Fusion Blaster or Plasma Rifles.

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Oct 27 2017 07:42

Panzer wrote:Well that's the difference between a special character with custom gear and an ultra (no pun intended) useful aura....and special characters with a meh special rule and a fix loadout consisting of basic weaponry like Fusion Blaster or Plasma Rifles.

Makes me think giving them a better aura would be a great way to differentiate them and give a genuine use.

E.g. Shadowsun’s Kauyon also allows re rolls of 1 on wound rolls.

And Farsight should give better fight phase buffs. (+1 to hit?) He needs friends!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Oct 27 2017 07:44

Maxwell wrote:
Panzer wrote:Well that's the difference between a special character with custom gear and an ultra (no pun intended) useful aura....and special characters with a meh special rule and a fix loadout consisting of basic weaponry like Fusion Blaster or Plasma Rifles.

Makes me think giving them a better aura would be a great way to differentiate them and give a genuine use.

And Farsight should give better fight phase buffs. (+1 to hit?) He needs friends!

Yeah for sure. As long as it doesn't mean they're going to be an auto-include like Guilliman I'm all down for more powerful auras. Even making their auras real permanent auras instead of once-per-game activations would be awesome.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 27 2017 09:16

Maxwell wrote:

I thought it was only hit rolls.

A cool note about Shadowsun is she can embark on fortifications. If only she could get on a devil fish...

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Oct 27 2017 09:37

Lostroninsoul wrote:
Maxwell wrote:

I thought it was only hit rolls.

A cool note about Shadowsun is she can embark on fortifications. If only she could get on a devil fish...

He's talking about what it could be, not what it is.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Oct 27 2017 10:29

Something worth mentioning about Shadowsun, is that her aura abilities affect all Septs, while other commanders only affect their own Sept. It doesn't matter much now, but it will once we have a Codex and Septs traits.

Return to “General Discussion”