Shield drones. I'm totally confused.

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Shield drones. I'm totally confused.

Post#19 » Oct 26 2017 05:24

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Oct 26 2017 05:27

Nymphomanius wrote:
Panzer wrote:It's also fun to mix one or two Shield Drones in your Gun Drone squad to drive an opponent that tries to get rid of the Gun Drones insane since if he shoots at that unit you can use the Shield Drones 4++ and the 5+++. :D

Or put an ethereal nearby for a 4++/5+++/6++++ :D

It doesn't work on Drones sadly.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Oct 26 2017 06:08

Haechi wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:
Panzer wrote:It's also fun to mix one or two Shield Drones in your Gun Drone squad to drive an opponent that tries to get rid of the Gun Drones insane since if he shoots at that unit you can use the Shield Drones 4++ and the 5+++. :D

Or put an ethereal nearby for a 4++/5+++/6++++ :D

It doesn't work on Drones sadly.

Wow I didn't realise I've not used my ethereal yet but I know someone who needs a telling off as I've seen him use the fire ability to RR 1's on gun drones, that's a bit rubbish.

@Panzer ethereal is good for morale if it's a mobile force the 6+ is a cherry on the cake.

Ironically the ethereal does the kroot shapers job for him and much better being ld9 not 7 :D

I think the 6+ FNP would be handy on either breachers for a little added durability or CIB or missile pod XV8s especially if you have the forgeworld repair drones could really make 3 XV8 suits last :biggrin:

DancinHobo
Shas

Post#22 » Oct 26 2017 09:31

Why I love shield drones:
First game of 8th, I brought a Riptide with a shielded missile drone. There was another shield drone deployed close by. On the opening turn, my opponent had two twin las cannon shots and a large amount of auto cannon shots.

His las cannon shots went straight for my Riptide. 3 Hit and wounded and I redirected all 3 shots to the shield drones. ( this was back when they got their full invuln) for shield drone shrugged of a round and then took one and was destroyed. The other drone saved. The Riptide shrugged off most of the auto cannons.

On my turn I moved more shield drones in to protect my Riptide and because of them my Riptide was protected all game from the las cannons. I always take shield drones now. Don’t have enough usually...

szeszej
Shas

Post#23 » Oct 27 2017 01:24

Panzer wrote:I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.

Well, the ability says "If a <SEPT> DRONES unit is within 3" of a friendly <SEPT> INFANTRY or <SEPT> BATTLESUIT unit when an enemy attack successfully wounds it, you can allocate that wound to the Drones unit instead of the target." My problem is with mortal wounds there is no wound roll so mortal wounds never "successfully wounded" my unit to begin with :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Oct 27 2017 04:52

szeszej wrote:
Panzer wrote:I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.

Well, the ability says "If a <SEPT> DRONES unit is within 3" of a friendly <SEPT> INFANTRY or <SEPT> BATTLESUIT unit when an enemy attack successfully wounds it, you can allocate that wound to the Drones unit instead of the target." My problem is with mortal wounds there is no wound roll so mortal wounds never "successfully wounded" my unit to begin with :)

I'd argue that an auto-wound is just as much a successfull wound as passing the to-wound roll lol

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Oct 27 2017 05:02

I agree with Panzer on this.

The most limiting factor is the "enemy attack" part. The rulebook uses 'attack' all the time, but doesn't say what exactly is an attack. Is Smite an attack? (I think yes) Is an enemy exploding vehicle an attack? (maybe yes) Is a friendly vehicle exploding an attack? (probably no) Is overcharging a ion weapon and rolling a one an attack? (most likely no).

I hope they FAQ this.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Oct 27 2017 05:09

Panzer wrote:A sidenote: getting Cover with Crisis is not that easy, since they aren't Infantry. Stealth Suits are our only infantry Battlesuits (which makes them even more awesome).

That and Shadowsun. Which is wierd, because she can embark on a fortifications but she can't get on a devilfish. I haven't looked into the forgeworld models yet.

Crom
Shas

Post#27 » Oct 27 2017 01:37

While on the topic of confusing things with shield drones,

Do you roll damage when tanking wounds on shield drones?

Had this come up in a game and we ended up rolling off for how it played out. ( I lost the roll off) but curious if someone can point to hard info that determine the order of operations.

Model loses wound - drone takes it. Roll damage. Allocate X number of mortal wounds to single drone. Roll fnp saves, drone has to pass X fnp rolls to stick around

Or

Model loses wound - drone takes it. Wound becomes mortal wound so no damage roll, roll 1 save.

Can't find info supporting the second option which is how it appears most people on this forum play it

Blinx
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Oct 27 2017 01:57

If using saviour protocols, all the damage from a single wound is converted to a single mortal wound

This is in the FAQ:

If you do, that Drones unit suffers a mortal
wound instead of the normal damage.’

The 'Instead of' is the important bit

Return to “General Discussion”