Let's Contact GW! (Round 3)

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Re: Let's Contact GW! (Round 3)

Post#163 » Jan 25 2018 05:57

FoxZz wrote:I don't like those rules too much because it promotes "camping" while I feel Tau are supposed to be a mobile race.
Sadly the disappearance of armour values gives less incentive to move tanks around in order to get side shots.

Actually only the jetpack battlesuits are supposed to be mobile. The tau tanks and broadsides have always been all about static supporting fire.
The reason I don't like grinding advance is the tau don't do grinding advance. They strike with overwhelming force, much like the germans in WW2. Grinding advance is more of a WW1 kind of warfare. They usually put nimble and hard to hit battlesuits on the front line while long range guns lay down supporting fire from behind.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#164 » Jan 25 2018 06:21

Temennigru wrote:The reason I don't like grinding advance is the tau don't do grinding advance.

I think they'd give it a different name, like "stable firing platform" or something.

Temennigru wrote:They strike with overwhelming force, much like the germans in WW2. Grinding advance is more of a WW1 kind of warfare.

The first half of WW2 anyway ;)

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#165 » Jan 25 2018 06:23

Arka0415 wrote:
Temennigru wrote:The reason I don't like grinding advance is the tau don't do grinding advance.

I think they'd give it a different name, like "stable firing platform" or something.

Temennigru wrote:They strike with overwhelming force, much like the germans in WW2. Grinding advance is more of a WW1 kind of warfare.

The first half of WW2 anyway ;)

Using the same mechanic and calling it something else is always dull :/
I would rather have something unique like the following stratagem: "Coordinated distraction: Chose an enemy unit within 6 inches of an XV8 battlesuit. Whenever you fire on that unit, you may reroll hits and wounds."

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#166 » Jan 25 2018 06:56

Temennigru wrote:I would rather have something unique like the following stratagem: "Coordinated distraction: Chose an enemy unit within 6 inches of an XV8 battlesuit. Whenever you fire on that unit, you may reroll hits and wounds."

Now we're really comparing apples and oranges though. Hammerheads need an ability to increase their damage or else they will simply not be viable. An ability like Grinding Advance would help. That stratagem would be nice, but would not solve the Hammerhead problem.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#167 » Jan 25 2018 07:01

Arka0415 wrote:
Temennigru wrote:I would rather have something unique like the following stratagem: "Coordinated distraction: Chose an enemy unit within 6 inches of an XV8 battlesuit. Whenever you fire on that unit, you may reroll hits and wounds."

Now we're really comparing apples and oranges though. Hammerheads need an ability to increase their damage or else they will simply not be viable. An ability like Grinding Advance would help. That stratagem would be nice, but would not solve the Hammerhead problem.

Just double their damage output and make the mortal wounds be 5+ rather than 6+. And increase the STR of all rail weapons. I don't know why didn't increase it in the first place, since most STR needs to be higher on 8e to have a similar impact.
I don't care if it costs double what a lascannon costs. It needs to be better, since we only get one of it per hammerhead.

Torch
Shas'Saal

Post#168 » Jan 25 2018 07:07

Grinding advance is literally just a way of getting tanks to do the damage they should have been doing in the first place. Eldar got their own version, so I don't see what's wrong with it.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#169 » Jan 25 2018 08:42

Torch wrote:Grinding advance is literally just a way of getting tanks to do the damage they should have been doing in the first place. Eldar got their own version, so I don't see what's wrong with it.

Railguns don't fire twice. They deal a lot of damage. It's different ways of reaching the same goal (total damage) but dealing double damage is more fluffy.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#170 » Jan 25 2018 09:32

Temennigru wrote:
Torch wrote:Grinding advance is literally just a way of getting tanks to do the damage they should have been doing in the first place. Eldar got their own version, so I don't see what's wrong with it.

Railguns don't fire twice. They deal a lot of damage. It's different ways of reaching the same goal (total damage) but dealing double damage is more fluffy.

And that's the thing- a Grinding Advance-style rule would feel a bit less fluffy, you are correct. But Torch is also correct that it would improve the vehicle more effectively. We can't control what buff GW ends up giving the Hammerhead, if they buff it at all.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#171 » Jan 26 2018 03:06

Arka0415 wrote:
Temennigru wrote:

And that's the thing- a Grinding Advance-style rule would feel a bit less fluffy, you are correct. But Torch is also correct that it would improve the vehicle more effectively. We can't control what buff GW ends up giving the Hammerhead, if they buff it at all.

Well, I've been spamming their mailbox for almost a year now with my best ideas, like giving XV8s hard to hit if they moved because they are tiny and fast.

Return to “General Discussion”