Trying to rebuild after the Codexpocalypse

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Grogalmighty
Shas'Saal

Trying to rebuild after the Codexpocalypse

Post#1 » Oct 30 2017 11:45

So we all know our lists basically got binned when the new edition came out.

As every new codex is released, our army slowly gets pushed further and further down in the meta. I feel like our army has effectively been reduced to temporary "sister of battle" status.

Our rules aged quickly, everything that was good isn't anymore, and everything that was bad is worse.

What makes life more difficult is that I played Farsight Enclaves, which essentially required the use of crisis suits in lieu of fire warriors...Current meta on crisis suits is that they are less then stellar, and utterly incapable of being effective due to the boost of close combat in the game. We have some nice weapons, just not the points+range+lethality combo that we need. Right now our best unit is the XV-9 with dual burst cannons, simply due to the stupid amount of fire it can send down range.

My question is, do you think we are doomed ala 4th edition to be thrown under the bus for another two editions before we start becoming worth playing again? Things started getting awesome with Keelwings and Riptide wings, and the Fire team rule was awesome.

Then again, I have noticed a trend where the codexes come out and everything -tends- to get better... But a decked out team of broadsides still costs between 700 and 1000 points.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Trying to rebuild after the Codexpocalypse

Post#2 » Oct 30 2017 11:49

Implying we aren't already at the bottom of the meta. :D

Anyway, no we aren't doomed for two editions or anything close. We'll be getting our own Codex soon and then everything will most likely look a lot better already.
And please don't say things started getting awesome with those broken formations. Riptide Wing was everything that was wrong with 7th. Only getting free Riptides would've made it worse lol

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 30 2017 01:08

You're mentioning a few things that make no sense to me. First of all the close combat isn't prevalent at all in 8th, and even if it was, then Crisis would be one of the best solution to it thanks to FLY.

Then I have to disagree with the overall T'au is bottom tier and comparing it to Sisters of Battle because well, SoB are actually very solid with their current index, and T'au isn't all trash either. I finished 4th out of 14 in a tournament yesterday. There a lot of a good entries, and yes, a lot of *BAD WORD DELETED!* ones, which are usually the most attractive ones, I agree. But right now T'au is really good at building lists to counter hordes, and one of the better armies to face the almighty Astra Militarum with.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 30 2017 06:25

Grogalmighty wrote:Our rules aged quickly, everything that was good isn't anymore, and everything that was bad is worse.

You're not wrong. We did get some great new tech though, like Fusion Commanders.

Grogalmighty wrote:Current meta on crisis suits is that they are less then stellar, and utterly incapable of being effective due to the boost of close combat in the game. We have some nice weapons, just not the points+range+lethality combo that we need. Right now our best unit is the XV-9 with dual burst cannons, simply due to the stupid amount of fire it can send down range.

XV9s may not be amazing, but they're still a passable unit that has access to unique weapons and abilities other factions rarely get. Who else gets deep-striking flying W3 units? Also, XV9s may be cool, but compared to Devilfishes full of Gun Drones, Fusion Commanders, or Y'vahras?

Grogalmighty wrote:But a decked out team of broadsides still costs between 700 and 1000 points.

More like 600-700, but I see your point. Broadsides got the worst of it, I think.

Grogalmighty wrote:Then again, I have noticed a trend where the codexes come out and everything -tends- to get better...

Hopefully we will! And when the new book comes out, this community will be at the forefront of finding the good new unit synergies and combos that will bring Tau back to the competitive scene. Or, we can talk now, and hope to make a change in the new Codex: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26733

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Oct 31 2017 12:10

Problem is, we're going to suffer from codex creep till late 2018. Pretty much every other army is going to get their updated rules before us, and I've heard credible rumours that Eldar, Orks and Tyranids are going to be getting their codexes before us, if not already out. Good thing is that they'll have to wait nearly as long as us for the torrent of endless Space Marine and Chaos books to come out. However, the main thing we should be doing as of right now is trying to communicate with GW. They're certainly a lot more cooperative with the fanbase as of their management change, and the new CEO is actually not trying to turn away customers. Their stock has risen MASSIVELY since the new guy came in, and I think there's a good chance that if we tell them what we want out of our codex, they'll actually listen. What I really want (at least my top five) is below (can someone transfer this to the appropriate thread: I couldn't find it and my internet is reeaaly uncooperative today) (goddam Australian Internet!!!)

1. Return of Sig systems and Vehicle Support Systems
2. Rebalancing of Broadside Ballistics Skill (I think that such a 'sniper' suit shouldn't have the same BS as a Infantry Trooper, especially since the pilot is a Shas'vre/Shas'ui)
3. Point Decreases to our major units
4. Reworks of our now-pointless weapons. We have too much stuff that is totally trash
5. PL Rebalancing for better Matched Play
Igne vir renovatur integra

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 31 2017 12:17

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:1. Return of Sig systems and Vehicle Support Systems
2. Rebalancing of Broadside Ballistics Skill (I think that such a 'sniper' suit shouldn't have the same BS as a Infantry Trooper, especially since the pilot is a Shas'vre/Shas'ui)
3. Point Decreases to our major units
4. Reworks of our now-pointless weapons. We have too much stuff that is totally trash
5. PL Rebalancing for better Matched Play

Luckily lots of this may happen:

1. Signature systems will be returning 100% in the form of relics. They may not be the exact same thing as last time, but we'll definitely get something.

2. No reason to believe it's true, but we're all hoping to see BS3+, or better Markerlights, or better Systems to improve accuracy!

3. Most Codexes have gotten nice points-reductions, let's hope we will too!

4. Seeker Missiles will probably see a re-work, but I think most of our weapons are good- they just cost too much.

5. PL re-balancing, like points re-balancing, is something we've seen in other Codexes, so it's likely we'll get some too.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 31 2017 01:10

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:Problem is, we're going to suffer from codex creep till late 2018. Pretty much every other army is going to get their updated rules before us, and I've heard credible rumours that Eldar, Orks and Tyranids are going to be getting their codexes before us, if not already out. Good thing is that they'll have to wait nearly as long as us for the torrent of endless Space Marine and Chaos books to come out. However, the main thing we should be doing as of right now is trying to communicate with GW. They're certainly a lot more cooperative with the fanbase as of their management change, and the new CEO is actually not trying to turn away customers. Their stock has risen MASSIVELY since the new guy came in, and I think there's a good chance that if we tell them what we want out of our codex, they'll actually listen. What I really want (at least my top five) is below (can someone transfer this to the appropriate thread: I couldn't find it and my internet is reeaaly uncooperative today) (goddam Australian Internet!!!)

Eldar's codex already came out and nids is next. I'm not sure if tau will come out before or after the realy realy realy long list of space marine sub-sub-factions.

But I, at least, have been sending twice a week an email to GW with "why tau is crap right now" and "why are space marines so much better than tau?"

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 31 2017 09:27

T'au is mid March. Marines sub-faction aren't coming in earlier than May.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 31 2017 09:54

Haechi wrote:T'au is mid March. Marines sub-faction aren't coming in earlier than May.

Do we have a source for this? I've only heard it here on ATT.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Oct 31 2017 10:34

Arka0415 wrote:
Haechi wrote:T'au is mid March. Marines sub-faction aren't coming in earlier than May.

Do we have a source for this? I've only heard it here on ATT.

Nop, it only got said here and on atias blog by Haechi himself as well. It's as good/bad a rumour as any. Take it with a big pinch of salt.

That being said, Feb-March was the most estimated date for our Codex before already and considering that by then not many Codexes are left it's not very unlikely imo. ^^

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 31 2017 01:07

I'm at the house of the guy who gives me the rumors first hand and I was wrong sorry. Dark Angels and either BA or SW is coming in December. T'au still definitely mid March.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Oct 31 2017 04:05

I've asked in 4 different GW stores (Swansea, Cardiff, Bristol, and Tottenham Court Road London) all have said that all the Codexes will be released by end of February

Edit: and the general consensus is thousand sons and dark angels after tyranids though they said they couldn't confirm anything just opinion

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Oct 31 2017 04:11

Nymphomanius wrote:I've asked in 4 different GW stores (Swansea, Cardiff, Bristol, and Tottenham Court Road London) all have said that all the Codexes will be released by end of February

Edit: and the general consensus is thousand sons and dark angels after tyranids though they said they couldn't confirm anything just opinion

GW manager normally don't know more than we do though. They might be guessing that but that doesn't mean it's true and imo it's very unlikely regardless of any rumours. We are still lacking more than half of the Codexes, till Christmas we will have about half of them. No way they are going to release the other half in just two months.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Oct 31 2017 06:23

Haechi wrote:I'm at the house of the guy who gives me the rumors first hand and I was wrong sorry. Dark Angels and either BA or SW is coming in December. T'au still definitely mid March.

Well, let's put a sticky note on our calendars and check back in March :D

Return to “General Discussion”