Revisiting the Droneport

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Re: Revisiting the Droneport

Post#37 » Nov 06 2017 04:47

Haechi wrote:Don't take me wrong, you have me interested, and I'm not trying to poop on the party at all. And I wonder if the Gunrig would be a good candidate, although, it would make it a better target as well, since you'd kill two birds in one stone, while killing a port only removes the Pathfinder's cover. I'm legit interested in this, please keep debating, I might want to try one.

The gunrig is annoyingly bad. You need a strong sense of humour - or much beer - to enjoy putting it on the table. Too many armies reduce it to hitting on 6's.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#38 » Nov 06 2017 04:59

nic wrote:The shieldline is just sad at the moment, its reflection rule is effectively useless because of the way armour modifiers work in 8th. It is almost as bad as the gunport.

I bet the shieldline will get a 6+ invul for the reflection rule, like the Kastellan robots.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#39 » Nov 06 2017 05:00

nic wrote:
Haechi wrote:Don't take me wrong, you have me interested, and I'm not trying to poop on the party at all. And I wonder if the Gunrig would be a good candidate, although, it would make it a better target as well, since you'd kill two birds in one stone, while killing a port only removes the Pathfinder's cover. I'm legit interested in this, please keep debating, I might want to try one.

The gunrig is annoyingly bad. You need a strong sense of humour - or much beer - to enjoy putting it on the table. Too many armies reduce it to hitting on 6's.

Yeah looked at in a vacuum it might be as good or even better than Railgun Hammerheads, however as soon as there are negative to-hit modifier it's efficiency really goes down the drain.

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#40 » Nov 07 2017 03:06

nic wrote:All of which is dependent on Tau tanks getting a big enough boost from the codex to make mechanised Tau competitive in the first place.

I wanted to reply questioning how a competitive mech Tau list looks like until I read this :) But I agree, if mech Tau is good I can seen Droneports being good in that list.

Pottsey
Shas'Saal

Post#41 » Nov 07 2017 03:11

Haechi wrote:Also, why not get a Gunrig while at it? 69 more points for a very potent weapon (if you have markers).

It depends who you are fighting. Personally I am a big fan of the Gunrigs as they have the potential to kill major targets cheaply in 1 turn and they have done that a number of times for me. Gunrings have been a game changer for me for the shear spike damage they can put out. It can change the course of the game when that double railgun shot hits on turn 1 or 2. They function best when shooting targets with markerlight support.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#42 » Nov 07 2017 07:38

Pottsey wrote: They function best when shooting targets with markerlight support.

Apart from all Flamer suits is there anything that doesn't :biggrin:

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#43 » Nov 07 2017 08:41

This post was about the droneport, but I kinda want to try the Gunrig now ^^

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#44 » Nov 07 2017 12:15

Harkus959 wrote:I do sometimes include a markerlight on the stealth team, but it's just as accurate/inaccurate as the marker drones so there's no real advantage there, and it means you can't fire the BC on the XV25 so I think it's actually inferior in terms of efficiency to just taking another marker drone as you only save 1 point on buying it instead of a drone.

where did you get that you only save 1 point? was the ML price on suits FAQ'd? cause in my book its 3 points...

also the idea with stealth was since you are taking them as support for ML unit(s) they shouldn't get very close to enemy, especially since you don't even take the FB, and that the XV25 shas'vre can take support system and markerlight (uless that section of rules was FAQ'd) thus allowing him to reroll 1's with multi tracker, getting slightly better chance to hit then drones for just a few points, which might help you paint the priority target at beggining of game, especially since BC ain't really good anyway so you don't lose that much if you decide to shoot the ML instead of BC (in case you did something wrong and you are within 18" range with your ML unit)

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#45 » Nov 07 2017 12:32

Beerson wrote:
Harkus959 wrote:I do sometimes include a markerlight on the stealth team, but it's just as accurate/inaccurate as the marker drones so there's no real advantage there, and it means you can't fire the BC on the XV25 so I think it's actually inferior in terms of efficiency to just taking another marker drone as you only save 1 point on buying it instead of a drone.

where did you get that you only save 1 point? was the ML price on suits FAQ'd? cause in my book its 3 points...

also the idea with stealth was since you are taking them as support for ML unit(s) they shouldn't get very close to enemy, especially since you don't even take the FB, and that the XV25 shas'vre can take support system and markerlight (uless that section of rules was FAQ'd) thus allowing him to reroll 1's with multi tracker, getting slightly better chance to hit then drones for just a few points, which might help you paint the priority target at beggining of game, especially since BC ain't really good anyway so you don't lose that much if you decide to shoot the ML instead of BC (in case you did something wrong and you are within 18" range with your ML unit)

The index does list a markerlight as 3 points, so it might just be a battlescribe thing that the upgrade is listed as 9 points, but it could also be because you have to take a markerlight AND a target lock as a single upgrade.

If it is only 3pts for a ML then you can take a multi-tracker for the shas'vre to increase it's accuracy and still have an upgrade total cheaper than another drone, but if it is a nine point upgrade, then that multi-tracker means your Shas'vre markerlight is now more expensive, although probably still more points efficient, so definitely worth it. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll be sure to give the Shas'vre a ML and TL and just stick the controller on a regular shas'ui.

And yeah, 18" range is kind of limiting, but it's the same as the carbines the pathfinders have, so you're not really losing anything there. It can be quite useful for if you get charged, as you can fall back the next round and have the burst cannons hose down the unit that was attacking you. But yes, situational and not something to invest in unless you have a specific plan to work with.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#46 » Nov 07 2017 12:38

Harkus959 wrote:The index does list a markerlight as 3 points, so it might just be a battlescribe thing that the upgrade is listed as 9 points, but it could also be because you have to take a markerlight AND a target lock as a single upgrade.

Of course it is because of the Target Lock lol.
And that's a good thing. Without it the Stealth Sutis couldn't move without the 'Vre having to hit the Markerlight on 5s due it being a Heavy weapon.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#47 » Nov 07 2017 01:02

Panzer wrote:
Harkus959 wrote:The index does list a markerlight as 3 points, so it might just be a battlescribe thing that the upgrade is listed as 9 points, but it could also be because you have to take a markerlight AND a target lock as a single upgrade.

Of course it is because of the Target Lock lol.
And that's a good thing. Without it the Stealth Sutis couldn't move without the 'Vre having to hit the Markerlight on 5s due it being a Heavy weapon.

Also for lols take the velocity tracker to get a 3+ ML vs anything with the fly keyword :D

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#48 » Nov 07 2017 01:24

Nymphomanius wrote:Also for lols take the velocity tracker to get a 3+ ML vs anything with the fly keyword :D

I don't have rulebook with me, but isn't VT just negating the -1 hit penalty fly keyword gives?

also yeah, VT against fly heavy armies is nice thing, but rather situational

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#49 » Nov 07 2017 01:26

Beerson wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:Also for lols take the velocity tracker to get a 3+ ML vs anything with the fly keyword :D

I don't have rulebook with me, but isn't VT just negating the -1 hit penalty fly keyword gives?

If it has the hard to hit rule, then yes. However, the VT gives you +1 against ANY unit with the fly keyword, including things like battlesuits and not all of those units have the "Hard to Hit" rule. So, against units with FLY and "Hard to Hit" your modifiers cancel out, but against units that just have FLY you get a +1 to your to-hit rolls.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#50 » Nov 07 2017 01:29

Beerson wrote: I don't have rulebook with me, but isn't VT just negating the -1 hit penalty fly keyword gives?

Fly and -1 to hit are too different things. The FLY keyword appears on all sorts of stuff like our battlesuits, devilfishes, and so on, while only what used to be flyers (like the Sun Shark) get -1 to hit. So the VT does cancel out the -1 to hit that flyers have, but it also gives you +1 to hit against a ton of other units.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#51 » Nov 07 2017 01:33

Harkus959 wrote:If it has the hard to hit rule, then yes. However, the VT gives you +1 against ANY unit with the fly keyword, including things like battlesuits and not all of those units have the "Hard to Hit" rule. So, against units with FLY and "Hard to Hit" your modifiers cancel out, but against units that just have FLY you get a +1 to your to-hit rolls.

Watcher on the wall wrote:
Fly and -1 to hit are too different things. The FLY keyword appears on all sorts of stuff like our battlesuits, devilfishes, and so on, while only what used to be flyers (like the Sun Shark) get -1 to hit. So the VT does cancel out the -1 to hit that flyers have, but it also gives you +1 to hit against a ton of other units.

thanks for the clarification, forgot that they are separate, then yeah, its pretty nasty thing especially against other tau (will field this in my next game vs our group's other Tau player hehe, might be dangerous as hes my taxi back home :D)

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#52 » Nov 07 2017 01:44

Beerson wrote:
Harkus959 wrote:If it has the hard to hit rule, then yes. However, the VT gives you +1 against ANY unit with the fly keyword, including things like battlesuits and not all of those units have the "Hard to Hit" rule. So, against units with FLY and "Hard to Hit" your modifiers cancel out, but against units that just have FLY you get a +1 to your to-hit rolls.

thanks for the clarification, forgot that they are separate, then yeah, its pretty nasty thing especially against other tau (will field this in my next game vs our group's other Tau player hehe, might be dangerous as hes my taxi back home :D)

Also see jetbikes, SM landspeeders, most of the necron codex (anything that hovers) any tyranids with wings, jump infantry, winged daemons, ork koptas, and and fliers that can choose to hover lose hard to hit but keep "FLY"

Glad to help, let me know if you find it makes a difference :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#53 » Nov 07 2017 02:30

Beerson wrote:

It's just a gimmick. It's nothing that will win you games. If you win the game then you would probably have won it without the Velocity Tracker anyway. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”