How can I buy?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Kerrygan
Shas

How can I buy?

Post#1 » Nov 07 2017 02:45

Hello, I'm a new member of the forum, and me and my group want to start with 40k. We play WFB, and want to srart with some sci fi shooting and stuffing.
I'm from Argentina, and that's a big problem.
The availability and prices here are very restrictives.
Although I can buy from online sellers or even eBay, due to import taxes and currency rates, the prices quickly go to the sky.
I found online several stores whose prices are reasonable and I can afford. But due to GW terms and conditions they don't ship outside the european countries.
So, any ideas how can I buy from these stores?
(Some of which are listed here in the forum).
Thanks for your attention.
Francisco.

P.S.: please mark me the spelling/grammar errors to improve my english, if you can and want.

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Re: How can I buy?

Post#2 » Nov 07 2017 03:10

It might help to know how you guys get your models for WFB, can you use those same channels for 40K stuff?

Kerrygan
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 07 2017 03:16

Hello Harkus, thanks for your reply.
We bought our models several years ago, when no restrictions to imports exists.
We can no longer buy using the same ways.

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 07 2017 03:31

Yeah, my best advice is to buy second hand stuff (facebook groups and local sites are generally a good place to look, here in S.A. warhammer generals often has people selling) but the only real option for first-hand models is to buy the very expensive GW prices (for reference, a "Start Collecting" box here at my local store has a price of R1000,00. Yes, one thousand rand) and just resign yourself to collecting slowly.

At least, I haven't found an alternative yet.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 07 2017 03:32

Well if all the import ways are restricted by taxes and such, we probably won't be of much help. Some places just have to deal with high prices (australia for example).
Maybe try to track local gaming groups via facebook or the bigger forums (B&C, Dakka) and ask those where they buy their models.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 07 2017 03:35

Harkus959 wrote:Yeah, my best advice is to buy second hand stuff (facebook groups and local sites are generally a good place to look, here in S.A. warhammer generals often has people selling) but the only real option for first-hand models is to buy the very expensive GW prices (for reference, a "Start Collecting" box here at my local store has a price of R1000,00. Yes, one thousand rand) and just resign yourself to collecting slowly.

I don't think anybody outside of south africa knows how much that is. In fact it's the first time I've heard of that currency even lol
Better talk in $, € or £. Those are the most common currencies people understand (and ususally are very close numbers-wise).
Also if I see right, 1000 Rand are about 60€ which makes it actually 5€ cheaper than it is for europe. ;)

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 07 2017 03:44

Panzer wrote:
Harkus959 wrote:Yeah, my best advice is to buy second hand stuff (facebook groups and local sites are generally a good place to look, here in S.A. warhammer generals often has people selling) but the only real option for first-hand models is to buy the very expensive GW prices (for reference, a "Start Collecting" box here at my local store has a price of R1000,00. Yes, one thousand rand) and just resign yourself to collecting slowly.

I don't think anybody outside of south africa knows how much that is. In fact it's the first time I've heard of that currency even lol
Better talk in $, € or £. Those are the most common currencies people understand (and ususally are very close numbers-wise).
Also if I see right, 1000 Rand are about 60€ which makes it actually 5€ cheaper than it is for europe. ;)

Well look at that, you're right. It's actually a very marginal price increase from the GW site prices in pounds, I have a new appreciation for my local store. Thank you :)

EDIT: actual numbers - start collecting is equal to £53.37 compared to GW's £50.00, Tactical Marine squad was R599.99, so £32.02 compared to GW's £25.00 so it seems like the box sets are getting slight increases, but the regular sets are still getting a decent price hike :?

I haven't bought something from them in years so I'm a little out of the loop price-wise. My last purchase was the riptide and that had at least a 12% increase from the GW price back then. So, either management changed, or the store became a little more lucrative from selling MTG and Pokemon cards and so could afford to drop their 40k prices.

I'm still poor unfortunately :P But yeah, buying second hand from facebook groups etc. is still probably the best way to get reduced cost models.

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 07 2017 04:16

If you do have to buy from GW in the end, I'd say look for the deals that save you money. If you're going to be spending lots of money, look at how to spend the least amount of "lots of money". For example, the "Start Collecting" kit effectively gets you the crisis suits for free compared to the cost of buying them separately, and the upcoming Battleforce kit effectively nets you a free ghostkeel.

So yeah, look for deals like that where you can make savings, so save up to buy collections rather than shelling out for individual kits. It's one way to save money while still buying from GW if that's the only way you can get stuff to where you live.

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Nov 07 2017 04:41

I am very good friend with my local hobby store in mexico. Prices here are 10% lower than on US or UK maybe we could make some math to find out how much the shipping to Argentina would be or if you have friends traveling here we could find a way for you to get good amount of T'au goodies.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Nov 07 2017 06:36

I don't want to be "that guy", but even at 1000 rand, you're still only paying two thirds of what we pay in Australia for the Start Collecting boxes. To compare, here in Aus we pay what would equate to roughly just over 1500 rand. I agree wholeheartedly though, GW prices are a bit crazy for what they're selling, and our governments aren't helping that fact one bit.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Kerrygan
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 07 2017 07:06

Here we pay €124 for a start collecting box.

Panzer wrote:Well if all the import ways are restricted by taxes and such, we probably won't be of much help. Some places just have to deal with high prices (australia for example).
Maybe try to track local gaming groups via facebook or the bigger forums (B&C, Dakka) and ask those where they buy their models.

Yeah. We are behind a GW restriction barrier plus a tax barrier.
But, for instance, I ask UPS if they can pick up the items from the UK store, but unfortunately the shipping need some signatures that requires a person to do the shipping.

Colt wrote:I am very good friend with my local hobby store in mexico. Prices here are 10% lower than on US or UK maybe we could make some math to find out how much the shipping to Argentina would be or if you have friends traveling here we could find a way for you to get good amount of T'au goodies.

That's sounds good. What are the prices there?

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Nov 07 2017 07:40

While I appreciate the difficult situation described in the OP, and always like to see the tabletop hobby propagated further, I must advise caution before continuing any further here. Online commerce can be a dark and murky place, especially for a volunteer-run site such as ATT. I recommend taking a quick refresher on the site policies around commerce and promotion, which can be found here.

I'll leave this thread open for the time being, in case anyone can recommend some good suppliers for the OP and those in a similar position, provided of course they comply with the site rules about such recommendations:

ATT Membership Primers, Features and FAQ, 'Drawing attention to online Dealers/Traders' wrote:It is acceptable to suggest that a particular online supplier be added to the list of dealers/traders flagged up within ATT's "Buying Online" resources. It is requested that you have had several personal dealings with the dealer you are highlighting before putting their name forward.

There are a couple of caveats when submitting a post of this nature:
1. Indicating that the dealer/trader offers a discount to the standard product RRP is fine.
2. Posting a specific special offer relating to a particular item that they are offering is not fine, as this could be construed by ATT's host ISP as advertising or soliciting items for purchase, which could/would break the ATT forum terms and conditions of service.

Examples:
"Dealer X offers 20% discount on all products, with an extra 1% for orders over Y amount" is fine because it is a general statement.
"Dealer X is selling Commander Farsight at half price. Go buy one while you can" is not acceptable as it is promoting a single specific item.

However if anyone has more personal or hands-on solutions to Kerrygan's dilemma, please discuss it with him over PM instead.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 07 2017 07:44

You also have to take into consideration the wage difference between countries, minimum wage in the UK is £7.50 an hour (about 375 Rand) where as in South Africa it's 35,000 Rand a month (about £200) so it may be cheaper in some countries, but at the same time much more expensive as that amount of money takes much longer to obtain

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Nov 07 2017 08:11

Nymphomanius wrote:You also have to take into consideration the wage difference between countries, minimum wage in the UK is £7.50 an hour (about 375 Rand) where as in South Africa it's 35,000 Rand a month (about £200) so it may be cheaper in some countries, but at the same time much more expensive as that amount of money takes much longer to obtain

Though an adult making £200/month probably wouldn't be able to afford 40k at all, even at reduced price...

Kerrygan
Shas

Post#15 » Nov 07 2017 10:05

Kakapo42 wrote:While I appreciate the difficult situation described in the OP, and always like to see the tabletop hobby propagated further, I must advise caution before continuing any further here. Online commerce can be a dark and murky place, especially for a volunteer-run site such as ATT. I recommend taking a quick refresher on the site policies around commerce and promotion, which can be found here.

I'll leave this thread open for the time being, in case anyone can recommend some good suppliers for the OP and those in a similar position, provided of course they comply with the site rules about such recommendations:

However if anyone has more personal or hands-on solutions to Kerrygan's dilemma, please discuss it with him over PM instead.

Thanks for the clarification. I've read the rules and the commerce rules before posting and thought that all was ok.
Although still didn't understand completely your warning, I'll be more careful on the future.
For clarification, I'm not looking for nothing illegal nor trying to bypass any law or trade/commerce agreement. I'm just looking for alternate ways to buy the models, other than just buying them from the GW site.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Nov 07 2017 10:40

unfortunatelly I can't quite remember where, but I heard about service that lets you buy stuff from overseas (you order it send to their adress) and get it shipped by third party to your location, you could probly try googling something like that
and since you are going to pay increased shipping, you should look online for some cheap stores, I know of one at poland that has everything around 2/3 prices, our group makes shopping trips there

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Nov 08 2017 03:15

Companies will often offer reduced shipping on orders above a certain price too, so ordering your stuff in a batch with other hobbyists might help you reach that bracket and therefore save on shipping. Just a thought.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Nov 08 2017 07:17

Also, since you are going to play Tau I suggest getting magnets as they save you some money and trouble, see magnetising tutorial,

epoxy putty (green and brown stuff should suffice and they are great to repair models too, but there are cheaper options) to copy parts that come in low volume (crisis weapons, especially CIB as you need many of those and only get them in commander box one for box, drone parts, fire warrior parts),

Bluestuff or silicon to make molds (bluestuff is lot better, faster, non-toxic and reusable, but silicon should be at your local stores)

Return to “General Discussion”