What to do with a Pathfinder Team box?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

What to do with a Pathfinder Team box?

Post#1 » Nov 17 2017 11:03

Hey everyone, working on my tiny little army and wondering what the best way to utilize a Pathfinder team box is.

I see lots of people use Pathfinders in squads of 5. Should I paint two as Shas’Ui, magnetize 2-4 for Ion/Rail rifles and glue down regular weapons for the rest?

Generally speaking what would you do if you were building for general purpose use (not to fit into a specific list you’re building)?

Thanks in advance brothas!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: What to do with a Pathfinder Team box?

Post#2 » Nov 17 2017 11:41

My next project actually is a Pathfinder box. I will indeed be magnetising them for interchangability, and because I have 6 old metal Pathfinders, I'll be able to make: 2 units of 8(5 plastic and 3 metal), one with 5 Markers and 3 Ion, and one with 5 Markers and 3 Rails. The drones, I'll definitely be making, because the Pulse Accelerator Drone and the Grav-inhibitor Drone are both invaluable assets! I won't use the recon drone unless it gets a buff in the codex though.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 17 2017 11:59

Hmmm, so two Shas’Ui? I’ll eventually get another box of these boys but I ain’t in the mood to paint 20 of the same model right at the moment

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 18 2017 02:01

When I painted up my new Fire Warriors, I painted a slight change onto one of the Shas'la so that if I wanted to split them up into two teams of 5, I would have a second Shas'ui that can be distinguished. I'll be doing the same with my Pathfinders. Just a small transfer, or a little bit more sept colour than the rest of the Shas'la is all I need to do.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 18 2017 04:04

Bloodknife92 wrote:My next project actually is a Pathfinder box. I will indeed be magnetising them for interchangability, and because I have 6 old metal Pathfinders, I'll be able to make: 2 units of 8(5 plastic and 3 metal), one with 5 Markers and 3 Ion, and one with 5 Markers and 3 Rails. The drones, I'll definitely be making, because the Pulse Accelerator Drone and the Grav-inhibitor Drone are both invaluable assets! I won't use the recon drone unless it gets a buff in the codex though.

I would definitely want to see your way of tackling this magnetization issue on such a small scale. I've been pondering myself for quite a while now how to pull off a flexible and a customizable pathfinder team. I'd love to see some of the shared process of yours on your project log :D
Cheers!
Nix

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 18 2017 04:15

I'd say units of 5 if you don't plan to take some of the rifles for a MSU approach and units of ~7 if you take rifles so you still have some markerlights and ablative wounds left. However a unit of 5 with 3 of them having Ion Rifles wouldn't be a bad idea either since they're fairly cheap so losing them wouldn't hurt as much.

tl;dr units of 5 unless you plan to take Rail Rifles in that unit ^^

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 18 2017 05:06

Bloodknife92 wrote:My next project actually is a Pathfinder box. I will indeed be magnetising them for interchangability, and because I have 6 old metal Pathfinders, I'll be able to make: 2 units of 8(5 plastic and 3 metal), one with 5 Markers and 3 Ion, and one with 5 Markers and 3 Rails. The drones, I'll definitely be making, because the Pulse Accelerator Drone and the Grav-inhibitor Drone are both invaluable assets! I won't use the recon drone unless it gets a buff in the codex though.

Why don't you like the recon drone? Especially with rail rifles ignoring cover is awesome "Ap-4? I'm a space marine in cover so I've got a 6+ atleast" NOT TODAY SPESH MARINE MWAHAHA.

And for only 4pts more than a gun drone has same number of shots and double the wounds for saviour Protocol.

IMO pathfinders drones go recon>grav>pulse acc.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 18 2017 05:21

Nymphomanius wrote:

Why don't you like the recon drone? Especially with rail rifles ignoring cover is awesome "Ap-4? I'm a space marine in cover so I've got a 6+ atleast" NOT TODAY SPESH MARINE MWAHAHA.

And for only 4pts more than a gun drone has same number of shots and double the wounds for saviour Protocol.

Because paying to ignore a very situational 6+ save (which you could ignore with Markerlights as well anyway) is not that good of an investment. It would make more sense on a Ion Rifle squad. :D

I agree on your order for Drones though unless you know you're playing against a particularly assaulty army. I usually don't take any of those though. Better invest in more Pathfinder instead. :P

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Nov 18 2017 05:50

Panzer wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:

Because paying to ignore a very situational 6+ save (which you could ignore with Markerlights as well anyway) is not that good of an investment. It would make more sense on a Ion Rifle squad. :D

I agree on your order for Drones though unless you know you're playing against a particularly assaulty army. I usually don't take any of those though. Better invest in more Pathfinder instead. :P

Yeah I'd never take pulse accelerate drone and grav only if I know I'm going against assault heavy deep striking.

I take 2 squads of 8 3 ion and 3 rail rifle (I had 6 old metal Pathfinders to add to my box) and they share the recon drone.

Ion rifles are particularly funny vs units that get+2 cover save as suddenly go from a 3+ to a 6+ from ion rifles because of recon drone. And like I said it's 2 extra wounds I can save my rail rifles from when push comes to shove.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Nov 18 2017 06:10

nix0n wrote:

I would definitely want to see your way of tackling this magnetization issue on such a small scale. I've been pondering myself for quite a while now how to pull off a flexible and a customizable pathfinder team. I'd love to see some of the shared process of yours on your project log :D

When I finish my third Broadside conversion, I'll be jumping straight into them!

Nymphomanius wrote:Why don't you like the recon drone? Especially with rail rifles ignoring cover is awesome "Ap-4? I'm a space marine in cover so I've got a 6+ atleast" NOT TODAY SPESH MARINE MWAHAHA.

I've never used the Rail or Ion rifles, and I'm not going to put too much love into their uses. They're going to be more of a fun thing for me until I see them serve me well :D As for the Recon Drone, I'm not too happy with its cost compared to what it gives and the unit it gives it to, and I'm feeling a little inclined to use it for a converted Hammerhead turret :P

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Nov 18 2017 09:24

Bloodknife92 wrote:I've never used the Rail or Ion rifles, and I'm not going to put too much love into their uses. They're going to be more of a fun thing for me until I see them serve me well :D As for the Recon Drone, I'm not too happy with its cost compared to what it gives and the unit it gives it to, and I'm feeling a little inclined to use it for a converted Hammerhead turret :P

That explains a lot. If you don't use the pathfinder special weapons then the recon drone ability is wasted on just Markerlights.

I would give ion rifles a chance if you have the models, each shot has roughly 20% chance to wound T5-7 3 3+ armor (with 1 markerlight) and 25% chance to wound MEQ with 3-9 shots a Turn if you kill 3 space Marines they've made their points back.

Rail rifles were built to kill terminators / bikes basically anything T4-5 with 2-3 wounds, again yes they are expensive but can make back their points in a few turns very easily.

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Nov 18 2017 12:21

On the topic of magnets, Magnetizing Pathfinders really isn’t too difficult if you glue the arms and gun together as one piece, and put your magnets in the shoulders. It means that you won’t be able to use one-handed gun poses but that’s an exceeedingly minor issue given the pieces that come in this box. Having the option of using either Ion or Rail rifles seems pretty clutch!

Return to “General Discussion”