Have you noticed Tau always seems to have a "crutch" unit?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Have you noticed Tau always seems to have a "crutch" unit?

Post#1 » Nov 23 2017 01:17

In 7th edition, if you took out the riptide entirely from our codex, including it's ridiculously powerful formation, we would have been one of the worst armies in the game, maybe not bottom, but definitely among them. This edition it's the commander. He is such a crutch, that whenever I see a list that doesn't include one, let alone three or more, they lose. This is referencing various battle reports online, and my own experience.

When I look at other armies as something to play while I wait for Tau to be "fixed", this problem is only made more and more apparent. Sure, every army has it's ugly ducklings, and it's golden geese, but the gap in between them isn't as incredibly vast as our commander and the rest of our army. Take out or commander, and what are we left with? Units where there will always be an example from another army that does it better in just about every way.

When you say that Tau needs to play with it's strengths instead of using weaker equivalents to, say, space marines. What you're really saying is use the Commander. I find that extremely stale and frustrating.

I for one can't wait for our commander to be nerfed to the level of the rest of our army.

What do you think?

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Have you noticed Tau always seems to have a "crutch" unit?

Post#2 » Nov 23 2017 01:45

Are you talking about hyper competitive tournament settings or in general?

We had a bunch of really decent stuff in 7th, the riptide wing overshadowed everything with OP-ness. I’m fairly certain pair of properly supported stormsurges could do acceptably against all but the most cutthroat of lists in 7th. Skyrays were really good too. Iridium commanders were good. Missilesides were good. At least they were in semi-competitive lists.

For just casual play, most things in our codex (outside of our fliers and vespid) were ok at worst. I had an acceptable amount of success with fliers in really casual games too.

Pretty sure from a unit by unit standpoint Chaos Space Marines were considered the worst codex. Although I’m not super familiar with them.

I only played very briefly in 5th edition. But if I remember it correctly it had even worse internal balance than our current index. I think the only good units in that were crisis suits and broadsides. Right now our stealth suits, vespids, stormsurge, ghostkeels and longstrike are at least decent. Obviously not good enough for tournaments but not unfieldable.

Admittedly I haven’t played as much in 8th because of life but those’re just my thoughts.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Nov 23 2017 03:39

I don't know where you played during 7th edition, but Riptides where hardly a crutch or the only powerful unit in the codex. Yes, the Riptide Wing was the most powerful thing you could bring from our 'dex, that's why it was played in the tournament circuit. You always use the most powerful option in competitive matches. But that doesn't mean other options weren't strong, merely that they were less powerful. Optimized Stealth Cadre, Buffmanders, Y'vahra, Retaliation Cadre alfa-strike and others would still crush people at less-competitive tables. That's where a lot of hate towards Tau comes from, not from tournament placements (we didn't win usually), but from domination over more casual players (i.e. the majority of the player base).

And while the Tau are on the weaker side of things in 8th, if you don't play at tournaments you can still win without spamming Commanders. Besides we have Chapter Approved and point adjustments incoming, let's see how that shakes things up. :)

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 23 2017 05:04

Raikoh067 wrote:I for one can't wait for our commander to be nerfed to the level of the rest of our army.

What do you think?

No because compared to other armies the Commander isn't that impressive, he is useful and good value for points but definitely not the best unit or even HQ in 40k.

I can't wait until the rest of our army is brought up to his levels of efficiency.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 23 2017 06:07

Grey Knights were utter garbage in 7th with only one kind of army list to build. You basically would spam Dreadknights and hope your 2+ saves hold out for your other units. Most of their HQs were trash and they had little to no shooting capabilities overall.

Honestly, Dreadknights were the only unit making Grey Knights even a field-able army.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

leo1925
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 23 2017 06:39

About 7th, OK the riptide wing was too powerful and I never actually played it (in fact we had a "gentlemen's agreement" to never field more than 1 riptide, BUT that wasn't the only good thing in our codex, far from it, in fact I would go as far as to say that only the vespids, ethereals and the fliers (along with almost any flier in the game except the storm raven) were BAD with the devilfish, the breachers and the kroots being a bit sub par.
All the above for casual games and not competitive ones.

Return to “General Discussion”