Chapter Approved Leaks Discussion

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Re: Chapter Approved Leaks Discussion

Post#127 » Dec 08 2017 07:20

StealthKnightSteg wrote:What I missed in the CA book was a point to confine the HQ spam a little...
I was really hoping on an extra rule for the Supreme Command Detachment. Something like that you can only employ this detachment if you have 3 of the following detachments in any combination already in your army (Patrol, Battalion, Brigade, Vanguard, Spearhead and Outrider)
That way it would be a more thematic solution.

So you can't use SCD in tournaments where detachment is limited to 3 I get what you're saying but I think this is more a T'au issue than any other army, maybe tyranids but most armies I've seen if they use SCD are only using 1 especially in 1500pts and that area

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#128 » Dec 08 2017 07:33

Nymphomanius wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:What I missed in the CA book was a point to confine the HQ spam a little...
I was really hoping on an extra rule for the Supreme Command Detachment. Something like that you can only employ this detachment if you have 3 of the following detachments in any combination already in your army (Patrol, Battalion, Brigade, Vanguard, Spearhead and Outrider)
That way it would be a more thematic solution.

So you can't use SCD in tournaments where detachment is limited to 3 I get what you're saying but I think this is more a T'au issue than any other army, maybe tyranids but most armies I've seen if they use SCD are only using 1 especially in 1500pts and that area

Unfortunatly I have seen armylists almost exclusivly employ this added with maybe a patrol detachment for some non character bodies on the table to take use of the character rule. HQ spam to make use of all the buffing power or individual powers while they cannot be targetted is borderline OP in some situations.

I think together with above mentioned rule I would add a maximum of 1 SCD per army.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#129 » Dec 08 2017 08:14

StealthKnightSteg wrote:Unfortunatly I have seen armylists almost exclusivly employ this added with maybe a patrol detachment for some non character bodies on the table to take use of the character rule. HQ spam to make use of all the buffing power or individual powers while they cannot be targetted is borderline OP in some situations.

I think together with above mentioned rule I would add a maximum of 1 SCD per army.

I'm not familiar with these lists but I've heard similar complaints (armies with too many HQs) on other sites. Any factions in particular that you've noticed have good HQ-spam builds?

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#130 » Dec 08 2017 08:22

Arka0415 wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:Unfortunatly I have seen armylists almost exclusivly employ this added with maybe a patrol detachment for some non character bodies on the table to take use of the character rule. HQ spam to make use of all the buffing power or individual powers while they cannot be targetted is borderline OP in some situations.

I'm not familiar with these lists but I've heard similar complaints (armies with too many HQs) on other sites. Any factions in particular that you've noticed have good HQ-spam builds?

Astra Militarum with all the buffing characters
Girlyman, bannerdude and some more of those overlapping buff characters
and
T'au with 5+ Commanders

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#131 » Dec 08 2017 09:15

StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Astra Militarum with all the buffing characters
Girlyman, bannerdude and some more of those overlapping buff characters
and
T'au with 5+ Commanders

Right but you can do both those in 1 SCD you would have to put rowrowrowyourboat gentlydownthestreamlyman in a super heavy auxiliary to keep regiment bonuses, but you can get 9 HQ between 1 SMC and 2 vanguard / outrider / spearhead anyway so again even limiting SMC to 1 wouldn't change that much.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#132 » Dec 08 2017 09:59

Chaos were doing it before they got a few things nerfed I heard. Probably still will.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#133 » Feb 02 2018 07:54

Is a taunar playable still? It has good range/firepower still and can easily eat 3 tanks a turn across the map if backed by an ethereal. I just picked it up and consider running it in a 2 k list. The down side is 30wounds protected by 8 T +5save is nothing to write home about

Each Tri-axis arm does about 9.72 damage against 7t 3+sv
And a pulse ordnance multi driver does about 15.2 damage to same targets. (Ethereal is needed for the reroll 1's in calculations)

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#134 » Feb 02 2018 08:05

Lostroninsoul wrote:Is a taunar playable still? It has good range/firepower still and can easily eat 3 tanks a turn across the map if backed by an ethereal. I just picked it up and consider running it in a 2 k list. The down side is 30wounds protected by 8 T +5save is nothing to write home about

And a pulse ordnance multi driver does about 15.2 damage to same targets. (Ethereal is needed for the reroll 1's in calculations)

Only it's points were changed, it's powerlevel stays the same, and apocalypse users powerlevel not points.

All chapter approved did was stop the Taunar being used in a game mode it was not intended for (matched play, where it is now hugely points-inefficient thanks to the points hike). In the game mode it was intended for use in (Apoc) it is still EXACTLY the same as it was before.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#135 » Feb 02 2018 08:10

Given the points changes, you can now field basically just the Tau'nar at 2000 points, which I'd say is fair- as Peej pointed out it's meant for Apocalypse games anyway.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#136 » Feb 02 2018 09:55

Makes sense. I was just wondering how good or bad it would be to play said taunar (1955) +an auxiliary ethereal (WL+pen) (45).

2 cp

I'm tempted to try it out in a 2 k event in two weeks. Unfortunately it would absolutely have to win only by tabling the opponent

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#137 » Feb 02 2018 10:05

Lostroninsoul wrote:Makes sense. I was just wondering how good or bad it would be to play said taunar (1955) +an auxiliary ethereal (WL+pen) (45).

2 cp

I'm tempted to try it out in a 2 k event in two weeks. Unfortunately it would absolutely have to win only by tabling the opponent

It would likely not go well for you. It was pretty well balanced before the points changes, but still not as good as commander spam etc.

The base model pretty much doubled in price IIRC, meaning it will now be worse than that. It goes further than just that though, because previously it worked due to being a 'battlesuit' and people bringing along shield drones to bubble-wrap it and use 'saviour protocols' to drop macro or high damage weapons onto one as an ablative wound. Since you can't fit any extra drones in the list with it it's a double whammy of a nerf in matched play.

You will still probably generate a lot of bad blood from bringing it, but not necessarily stand a good chance of winning, it's kind of a lose/lose situation for you i think.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#138 » Feb 02 2018 12:29

Thanks PeeJ. You talked me out of it. I still will try to get this bad boy up and running soon but will reserve it for higher point games (or if I can do power/apolocolypse). :)

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#139 » Feb 02 2018 01:33

PeeJ wrote:
Lostroninsoul wrote:Is a taunar playable still? It has good range/firepower still and can easily eat 3 tanks a turn across the map if backed by an ethereal. I just picked it up and consider running it in a 2 k list. The down side is 30wounds protected by 8 T +5save is nothing to write home about

Only it's points were changed, it's powerlevel stays the same, and apocalypse users powerlevel not points.

All chapter approved did was stop the Taunar being used in a game mode it was not intended for (matched play, where it is now hugely points-inefficient thanks to the points hike). In the game mode it was intended for use in (Apoc) it is still EXACTLY the same as it was before.

Taunar is actually still viable in matched play. While his railgun is god awful, the pulse ordnance gun thingy can take down a knight in a single shooting phase with the macro weapon rule that lets you deal double damage to titanic targets and you would still have enough firepower from your arm guns to take down a couple of tanks.
His pulse ordnance multi driver on average dealt on average 17.778 damage to a knight per turn.
As a side-note, his old points value was a bit overpowered, according to this guy's calculations
https://40kdicerolls.blog/2017/12/08/ta ... ation-low/
And considering the t'aunar cost double the PL of the knight, I'd say it was only natural that they'd bring his points value up, since his points cost was only ~20% higher than a knight.
I guess people were disappointed with his points hike because we are so bad right now that the last thing we needed was a nerf :P

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#140 » Feb 02 2018 03:32

Excellent article. I can't wait to finish reading it. :biggrin: *Gobbles it up*

Return to “General Discussion”