Chapter Approved Leaks Discussion

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Chapter Approved Leaks Discussion

Post#1 » Nov 24 2017 09:52

I can't remember if we're allowed to post the actual leaks here, so I'll hold off for now.

Anyway, the points costs for the new Chapter Approved book have been leaked, and as far as Tau are concerned only the Forgeworld unit points were posted. This means that either (a) Tau will not be getting points adjustments in the Chapter Approved release, or (b) that page just wasn't included in the leaked pictures.

Without further ado, here's what we know:

Imperial Armor Index: Xenos

Blacklight Marker Drones: -4 points
TX7 Heavy Bombardment Hammerhead Gunship: -44 points
TX7 Fire Support Hammerhead Gunship: -54 points
Manta Super-Heavy Dropship: +121 points
KX139 Tau'nar Supremacy Armor: +755 points

For Forgeworld variant Hammerhead players, the error in your tanks costs have been fixed. Shas'o R'alai's special drones and the Manta's cost seem to have had arbitrary adjustments.

For Tau'nar players, I'm sorry for your loss. :neutral:

namegiver
Shas

Re: Chapter Approved Leaks Discussion

Post#2 » Nov 24 2017 10:53

Page numbers are visible in the leaked pics -- there aren't any missing pages. It's going to be a long wait until the codex drops. Disappointing but fortunately there's plenty of other cool stuff in the book.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 24 2017 11:53

They.. increased... the Ta'unar? I was already unimpressed with it in 8th and now they junked it. Thanks guys.

Edit
Okay all Titan's went up in points to such obscene levels they are unplayable now.
Last edited by Jacket on Nov 25 2017 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 25 2017 12:00

Jacket wrote:They.. increased... the Ta'unar? I was already unimpressed with it in 8th and now they junked it. Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm not kidding about that +755-point increase. It was 745 before and now it's 1500.. base.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 25 2017 12:04

Arka0415 wrote:
Jacket wrote:They.. increased... the Ta'unar? I was already unimpressed with it in 8th and now they junked it. Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm not kidding about that +755-point increase. It was 745 before and now it's 1500.. base.

All titans went up to insane levels. What was the last thing Reece and the ITC was whining about before I stopped listening to his verbal garbage? Titan's... hmmm coincidence? I think now Reece is such a bald face liar man. Despite the ITC fixing it by limiting units higher than a certain PL they had to go and whine to GW to utterly nerf them into oblivion for everyone.

Thanks.

On a few other forums not long ago I was talking to people telling them how Reece should not be defended for his total control over the balance of the game and ITC because at a whim he could change anything you like to being. This is just the beginning of his tyranny before people take the that he is acting like a dictator and soon will be ruining the game with his calls.

edited for swearing. El'mo

Dut'ch
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 25 2017 12:11

The other possibility is that our codex is to be one of the first released in 2018. So GW are waiting until then to release point changes. Blood Angels aren't on the list and their codex is due any time now (though I appreciate that standard SM are and that effects BA).

Ya know, just hoping!

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 25 2017 12:14

Dut'ch wrote:The other possibility is that our codex is to be one of the first released in 2018. So GW are waiting until then to release point changes. Blood Angels aren't on the list and their codex is due any time now (though I appreciate that standard SM are and that effects BA).

Ya know, just hoping!

Oh you poor naive fool. I wish I could be so blindly hopeful. Reece keeps hinting the Tau have something big coming, but he is liar or is planning to fire his fully operational nerf star. What a nice "surprise" eh?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Nov 25 2017 12:28

Jacket wrote:
Dut'ch wrote:The other possibility is that our codex is to be one of the first released in 2018. So GW are waiting until then to release point changes. Blood Angels aren't on the list and their codex is due any time now (though I appreciate that standard SM are and that effects BA).

Ya know, just hoping!

Oh you poor naive fool. I wish I could be so blindly hopeful.

No need for that...

At any rate, the old rumor says March, but if Daemons are January, then who knows, Tau might be slated for February/March.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Nov 25 2017 12:42

Arka0415 wrote:
Jacket wrote:

Ya know, just hoping!

Oh you poor naive fool. I wish I could be so blindly hopeful.

No need for that...

At any rate, the old rumor says March, but if Daemons are January, then who knows, Tau might be slated for February/March.

Just frustrated. I've been hoping for Tau to get good since before they launched when I did testing and they were over nerfed. I still think we won't get any buffs or if they do they will make sure we stay bottom tier. Actually I am expecting nerfs.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Nov 25 2017 12:47

Jacket wrote:Just frustrated. I've been hoping for Tau to get good since before they launched when I did testing and they were over nerfed. I still think we won't get any buffs or if they do they will make sure we stay bottom tier. Actually I am expecting nerfs.

I'm frustrated too. However, this new CA book will make our army better. The Warlord trait can't hurt, and the Markerlight stratagem is great. Getting FW Hammerheads with the same base cost as regular Hammerheads is good to have too.

DancinHobo
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 25 2017 01:36

I’m guessing any army that gets point updates in chapter approved will then again get them in their codex. Being more fleshed out then the index, can’t use the same base scale.
BA, DA, and Demons don’t seem to have points in chapter approved. Probably because their codex is coming soon and it would be silly to update the points, just to update them again a few weeks later. Hopefully this means we are right after demons! I sure hope so!

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#12 » Nov 25 2017 01:53

A youtube review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DsOLvt4w2Y
22:40 is basic faction rules.
32:40 is Tau. Strat is summerized because his head is blocking it.
Warlord Trait 1: Exemplar of Kauyon
You can re-roll failed hit rolls as long as you have not moved. If they moved,they lose trait until start of next turn.

Warlord Trait 1: Exemplar of Mont'ka
Warlord can advance and still shoot as if they had not moved this turn.

Relic: Puretide Engram Neurochip
Once per battle, you can re-roll a single hit roll, wound roll, or damage roll made for the bearer, or a friendly <sept> unit within 6" of the bearer. In addition, if your armyis battleforged and the bearer is on the field, roll a D6 each time you or your opponent use a stratagem. On a 6 you gain a command point.

Stratagem: uplinked markerlight
1cp, Tau Empire
play this stratagem after an enemy has been hit by a markerlight, place D3+1 instead of only 1.

AenarIT
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Nov 25 2017 01:56

Necrons are in our same position: only point adjustments for two Forge World models.

They'll probably receive a Codex around the same time as us.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Nov 25 2017 02:34

SinisterSamurai wrote:Warlord Trait 1: Exemplar of Kauyon
You can re-roll failed hit rolls as long as you have not moved. If they moved,they lose trait until start of next turn.

I can't imagine any warlords that could viably use this Trait. Missile Pod Commanders, maybe?

SinisterSamurai wrote:Warlord Trait 1: Exemplar of Mont'ka

This is a great trait and makes lots of our units better. A Fireblade can easily advance alongside Gun Drones and give them his Volley Fire buff. Coldstars and regular Commanders can advance and fire Assault weapons without the -1 to-hit penalty. Plasma Rifle Commanders can advance and fire where otherwise they couldn't.

SinisterSamurai wrote:Relic: Puretide Engram Neurochip
Once per battle, you can re-roll a single hit roll, wound roll, or damage roll made for the bearer, or a friendly <sept> unit within 6" of the bearer. In addition, if your armyis battleforged and the bearer is on the field, roll a D6 each time you or your opponent use a stratagem. On a 6 you gain a command point.

The bonus command point feels a bit lackluster, but getting Command Points on 6 each time you or your opponent use a Stratagem? Now that's cool.

SinisterSamurai wrote:Stratagem: uplinked markerlight
1cp, Tau Empire
play this stratagem after an enemy has been hit by a markerlight, place D3+1 instead of only 1.

So, +D3 Markerlight hits. Not bad. Not as good as 1+D3, but still a solid stratagem, especially that it's for only 1 CP. Does it need to be used immediately after, or just after?

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Nov 25 2017 02:41

I'm really annoyed about that Taunar change.

Frankly it was already borderline overcosted, doubling its points cost is just insulting to people who have actually bothered to go out and buy one.

armisael
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Nov 25 2017 03:10

No point adjustment for T’au? Seriously?

Wedrujacy
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Nov 25 2017 03:12

DancinHobo wrote:I’m guessing any army that gets point updates in chapter approved will then again get them in their codex. Being more fleshed out then the index, can’t use the same base scale.
BA, DA, and Demons don’t seem to have points in chapter approved. Probably because their codex is coming soon and it would be silly to update the points, just to update them again a few weeks later. Hopefully this means we are right after demons! I sure hope so!

and so what? I have seen that comment often in different areas, but why that should explain that failure?

By purpose CA was announced as tool to bring all non codex armies to competitive mode to those who already have codex. If I would get codex in 1month does it mean that my problem is solved? NO.

For me that really doesn't looks good at all.
Hope that rest of CA will be worth any cent/pens/other tiny money

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#18 » Nov 25 2017 03:14

Looks like the vid is down. Guy has a discord in the description, and is willing to answer some questions. Said discord implies video will be back up in the morning, and was removed for because of a technical error, not a takedown notice. I still have the vid open and will be awake for at least another two hours.

Basic match play changes are Boots on the ground (We should know this one by now)
Limits of command, (essentially, you can't use command re-rolls on mission related rolls)
Characters: They clarify that characters can only be targeted if they are visible AND are the closest. IE, you can't move behind a wall to discount a closer enemy model as "nearest visible." Weirdly, it looks like while they say "firer" or "firing model," they don't specify shooting attacks. Please Don't be a cheese monkey or allow cheese monkeying, though.
Lastly: Understrength units can only be taken in Auxiliary Detachments.

armisael wrote:No point adjustment for T’au? Seriously?
Tau receive NO other points changes than the ones listed in the first post. No GW points changes.
PeeJ wrote:I'm really annoyed about that Taunar change.

Frankly it was already borderline overcosted, doubling its points cost is just insulting to people who have actually bothered to go out and buy one.
It looks like almost every titanic unit doubled in cost across the board, not just the Ta'unar.

Arka0415 wrote:
SinisterSamurai wrote:Warlord Trait 1: Exemplar of Kauyon
I can't imagine any warlords that could viably use this Trait. Missile Pod Commanders, maybe?
Not much. As any character can be a warlord, you can use it one a Shaper or Firesight marksman, though for the latter I'd probably still prefer Mont'ka. It can be used for hit rolls in combat, so if you're planning to get charged, or be in melee for more than one round without a self-inflicted pile-in, maybe. You can technically still post-fight consolidate, since all your hit rolls would have been rolled by that point.

Arka0415 wrote:
SinisterSamurai wrote:Warlord Trait 1: Exemplar of Mont'ka

This is a great trait and makes lots of our units better. A Fireblade can easily advance alongside Gun Drones and give them his Volley Fire buff. Coldstars and regular Commanders can advance and fire Assault weapons without the -1 to-hit penalty. Plasma Rifle Commanders can advance and fire where otherwise they couldn't.
Even more, because of the exploitable wording, a model could advance, and then fire a heavy weapon without any penalty. Your heavy BS is better after advancing than after simply moving. Wish I could put it on a broadside, but I guess Longstrike will do.

Arka0415 wrote:
SinisterSamurai wrote:Stratagem: uplinked markerlight
1cp, Tau Empire

So, +D3 Markerlight hits. Not bad. Not as good as 1+D3, but still a solid stratagem, especially that it's for only 1 CP. Does it need to be used immediately after, or just after?

I managed to read some blurry words at a point where the guy's head doesn't block the strat.
Use this Stratagem after an enemy been hit by a markerlight fired by a model from your army. Place D3+1 markerlights next to that unit instead on only one.

It doesn't say immediately after, but I think it's implied.

Also, food for thought: PEN is free. The cost of taking a relic is that you can't take a different relic, as you are only allowed one relic per army.
Some relics replace other wargear, and you must still pay for the replaced wargear. PEN is not so. And while your army requires a Warlord, the relic doesn't have to go to the warlord, just a character.

So, until the codex comes out, it's basically a free auto-include as long as you have a viable (and unnamed) character in your army.
Last edited by SinisterSamurai on Nov 25 2017 03:24, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”