Chapter Approved Leaks Discussion

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Folklore
Shas

Re: Chapter Approved Leaks Discussion

Post#91 » Nov 27 2017 02:29

That is an EXTREMELY alarming rumor. Can anyone corroborate? If GW was even thinking about squatting an army it should be blowing up the rumor mill, no?

That said I don't know what defense the design team could possibly offer for our horribly balanced index entry and subsequent lack of adjustment.

On the other hand we recently had some huge additions to our line of models. I have a hard time believing GW would walk away from that investment.

I can imagine a plot twist where the T'au become an imperial sub-faction though.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#92 » Nov 27 2017 02:34

Anyone notice that the Manta got a points decrease? It's almost as if they're trying to encourage us to buy the outlandishly overpriced model...

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#93 » Nov 27 2017 02:36

Folklore wrote:That is an EXTREMELY alarming rumor. Can anyone corroborate? If GW was even thinking about squatting an army it should be blowing up the rumor mill, no?

I can imagine a plot twist where the T'au become an imperial sub-faction though.

It's not a rumor, just a whining isolated player. Especially considering his "source" are GW store staff, who know nothing.
And if you need reassuring: Lady Atia, a very reliable source, said T'au Empire is getting a new release "soon"

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#94 » Nov 27 2017 02:52

Haechi wrote:
Folklore wrote:That is an EXTREMELY alarming rumor. Can anyone corroborate? If GW was even thinking about squatting an army it should be blowing up the rumor mill, no?

It's not a rumor, just a whining isolated player. Especially considering his "source" are GW store staff, who know nothing.
And if you need reassuring: Lady Atia, a very reliable source, said T'au Empire is getting a new release "soon"

What they said. It's a common thing for players to whine that their faction is getting squatted when they don't get a new codex right away. We may be low on the totem pole in the meta right now, but that doesn't mean squatting. We'd probably see the loss of the Sisters of Battle or the Dark Eldar before Tau.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#95 » Nov 27 2017 03:18

CelticBarbarian wrote:What they said. It's a common thing for players to whine that their faction is getting squatted when they don't get a new codex right away. We may be low on the totem pole in the meta right now, but that doesn't mean squatting. We'd probably see the loss of the Sisters of Battle or the Dark Eldar before Tau.

I once suggested collapsing the various space marine factions into one codex, about 5 ppl looked at me like I'm completely crazy :D That was back when they were releasing editions faster than refreshing codexes...

I don't think they'd collapse a whole "standalone" faction like Orks/Tyranids/Necrons, merging some eldar/imperium/chaos is a possibility though...

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#96 » Nov 27 2017 03:38

CelticBarbarian wrote:Anyone notice that the Manta got a points decrease? It's almost as if they're trying to encourage us to buy the outlandishly overpriced model...

Remember that the 2000 points is the model without weapons. I'd have to get back to my previous index and look at the weapon costs to see if that is actually a decrease. Off the top of my head, adding 2 heavy rail, 6 Ion cannons, 16 long barreled burst cannons, and 2 missile pods seems like more than 500 points.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#97 » Nov 27 2017 03:58

CDR_Farsight wrote:
CelticBarbarian wrote:Anyone notice that the Manta got a points decrease? It's almost as if they're trying to encourage us to buy the outlandishly overpriced model...

Remember that the 2000 points is the model without weapons. I'd have to get back to my previous index and look at the weapon costs to see if that is actually a decrease. Off the top of my head, adding 2 heavy rail, 6 Ion cannons, 16 long barreled burst cannons, and 2 missile pods seems like more than 500 points.

That ultimately brings it up to the base cost without weapons it had before.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#98 » Nov 27 2017 06:56

Grogalmighty wrote:Perhaps we are coming at this from different perspectives. I can see two.

First, I like my army to win now and then. I don't get fun from being curbstomped. It makes me feel bad for the work I put into painting them and the time I put into making them look great. I want to have a chance. We don't have one now. In fact, we are being kicked out.

Second....I told you this is what I heard.

And I heard that Tau are going to get a Codex soon with 5pt crisis suits and 10pt riptides. And I'd wager what I’ve heard is significantly more likely that what you've heard. ;)

Also, I don’t know what lists you're playing but I've managed to table, or nearly table, death guard, grey knights, dark angels, and nids. Also scored convincing wins vs nids (post codex) and marines. Only time I’ve been curbstomped as Tau was facing up against a World Eaters list in the final round of a tournament. And out of the dozen or so games I've played, the only game I've taken more than one Commander in was the game I played tonight (and lost funnily enough). We have plenty of issues but we're no where near the levels of awful we had in 5th edition

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#99 » Nov 27 2017 08:27

Grogalmighty is trolling if it wasn't immediately obvious. He doesn't have any information or any insight into what will happen with the army.

Please do not feed the troll.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#100 » Nov 27 2017 09:16

AnonAmbientLight wrote:Grogalmighty is trolling if it wasn't immediately obvious. He doesn't have any information or any insight into what will happen with the army.

Please do not feed the troll.

Ha, yeah. Just ignore the pointless fearmongering.

At any rate, the "big" armies are getting Codex releases first. The releases are very good. Even the minor factions, like Blood Angels, have very good releases too. There's no reason not to believe that Tau won't get the same treatment in due time.

Give us a couple points reductions, and a few more Stratagems like Uplinked Markerlight, and we'll be top-tier in no time.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#101 » Nov 28 2017 01:01

I feel I'm one of the few who thinks this CA is amazing. I'm looking forward to 3 man crisis teams delivering 5 markerlights anywhere from turns 1-3 (6 markerlight drones plus ,1dc , and the strategem should yeild ~5.3 markerlights a turn) This makes seeker and destroyer missles way better. I'm looking forward to using long strike as an Exemplar of Kauyon, for a sweet 97% accurate shooter against hard to hit targets WITHOUT markerlight support. The relic also makes longstrike's wound roll or damage roll way more potent. I don't like the idea of commander spam so this CA gives me personally a lot of fun new things to play with. The CA allows me to play more like how I want to. Since the upgrades we get are mostly aimed at making our lower bs models shoot better, commander based lists won't see much improvement. I want to play tau as a big robot army. I want to play 2 stormsurges in nearly any list I build. Yes, my next two units I am looking to acquire will be the poor reviewed riptides. I say "what up?" :P

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#102 » Nov 28 2017 02:31

The stratagem gives you a guaranteed 2 markerlights assuming you have at least one on the target. This means you could take a Fireblade, and two Firesight marksman and get a pretty reliable 5+ markerlights on a target per turn if you use the stratagem. That's 90pts total. Being characters also makes them harder to kill ensuring that your markerlight capabilities remain on the board for longer.

This also means that small point games can spend more points on dakka and less points on markerlight support.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#103 » Nov 28 2017 10:57

SinisterSamurai wrote:
AnonAmbientLight wrote:The logic is that any point changes done would be point changes done for Index: T'au and specifically how Index: T'au functions. When Codex: T'au comes out, the entire way that T'au functions would change because of new stratagems, relics, warlord traits, and sept rules. So the point costs would have to change again.

This logic holds for all of the factions.

I haven't exactly shared my opinions on this, yet, largely because opinions can easily become volatile. But the facts are these:
1) T'au remains largely unaffected by Chapter Approved, at least comparatively.
2) Chapter Approved is available for preorder, and we don't know when our codex is going to be released.

There is a prevailing notion that our lack of Chapter Approved changes reflects an upcoming Codex release, and I see people holding this up as a silver lining. This includes VIPs like Reece, who may not be a direct GW employee is seen as having insider access into the design process, and is sort of a next-step-down-from-official representative of GW's policy. His "strong hints" may be seen as soft confirmation of an upcoming T'au release.

But so what? Facts 1 and 2 remain unaltered. GW has released no information about their release schedule past mid-January, and Chapter Approved is being billed as a patch. Perhaps the codex changes so much that the playtest team had to make a tough choice between playtesting and improving the Index builds, or playtesting and improving the codex builds. While the choice of focusing on Codex gameplay and bugfixing is ideal in a scenario where CA would be invalidated within a month or two of release, that still doesn't alter the information provided to the customer base.

GW is collecting pre-orders for Chapter Approved from interested T'au players under the sales pitch that it will make significant changes to the way all factions play, but has been less than transparent about it's minimum impact on T'au. Even if they make the schedule announcement on Monday and we find out that our codex comes out mid-January, GW will have committed, at best, an anti-consumer practice. And I highly suspect we won't be given that information until well after Chapter Approved has collected purchases from uninformed players expecting more, and maybe not even until after Christmas funds get spent on it.

GW has something of an image problem. They have been accused of several negative business practices in the past, and while that image is certainly turning around as late, it hasn't quite turned fast enough to prevent this conflict of interest. I can't say that Chapter Approved has been handled in an unexpected way for GW or of any business, but I can't say that this has been handled in a way that instills confidence in their business practice.

Sooooo much this. They should at least warn those who have no VESTED interest in the CA release that they should be warned against purchasing it for want of a future release. They forget not everyone plays 6 or 7 armies or has interest in EVERY aspect of the game. They need to do more releases in pieces or for free. They get enough from the minis, just give us rules for free to figure out which stuff we like best and THAT'S what we'll purchase.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#104 » Nov 28 2017 11:27

Yojimbob wrote:Sooooo much this. They should at least warn those who have no VESTED interest in the CA release that they should be warned against purchasing it for want of a future release. They forget not everyone plays 6 or 7 armies or has interest in EVERY aspect of the game. They need to do more releases in pieces or for free. They get enough from the minis, just give us rules for free to figure out which stuff we like best and THAT'S what we'll purchase.

The rules are essentially free though. You have websites literally posting the rules online. GW isn't doing a DMCA take down of those websites like they used to.

If you wanted to get the point changes, it is extremely easy to find them online.

Granted, GW should post these on their website for free, but getting them is never a problem.

As for CA, it has something like 100-200 pages of content where something like 4-10 pages of that are rules for armies (which you can already find online). The rest are rules for new game modes and maps. That's hardly an example of disingenuous advertising.

Heck, just look at the Warhammer Community website and their coverage of CA. The vast majority of their posts are referencing features unrelated to rule updates and balance.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#105 » Nov 28 2017 01:24

AnonAmbientLight wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:Sooooo much this. They should at least warn those who have no VESTED interest in the CA release that they should be warned against purchasing it for want of a future release. They forget not everyone plays 6 or 7 armies or has interest in EVERY aspect of the game. They need to do more releases in pieces or for free. They get enough from the minis, just give us rules for free to figure out which stuff we like best and THAT'S what we'll purchase.

The rules are essentially free though. You have websites literally posting the rules online. GW isn't doing a DMCA take down of those websites like they used to.

If you wanted to get the point changes, it is extremely easy to find them online.

Granted, GW should post these on their website for free, but getting them is never a problem.

As for CA, it has something like 100-200 pages of content where something like 4-10 pages of that are rules for armies (which you can already find online). The rest are rules for new game modes and maps. That's hardly an example of disingenuous advertising.

Heck, just look at the Warhammer Community website and their coverage of CA. The vast majority of their posts are referencing features unrelated to rule updates and balance.

Yeah basically this, just because the only thing I care about in CA is the changes to T'au doesn't make the book worthless, point changes by way of FAQ are nice but not everyone reads the FAQ.

And once they got all the Codexes out a yearly or twice yearly CA to balance and tweak would be an awesome thing if it was cheap enough.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#106 » Nov 28 2017 06:11

I'm just happy they are doing it at all. Better than waiting two years for a codex or waiting months for an FAQ.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#107 » Nov 28 2017 06:23

I've had a thought as to why they wouldn't include any main points changes for us, I think because our small weapon range is spread across almost all of our army.

2 small looking changes would cause massive upset in every T'au army list.

Just think of this
Burst cannon 4pts
Gun Drone 11pts
(this is not based on any rumours just personal valuation and theoretical value if those things)

Just those 2 changes would affect so much it would be better to wait and change all the unit values around at the same time.

Just my 2 cents

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#108 » Nov 29 2017 04:46

I mean, if we're taking GW staff as gospel regarding the squatting of tau then we have a paradox as my local store staff said our codex is coming out in march.

Great business plan, squat them then release a codex ;)

And that's the issue with rumors

Return to “General Discussion”