GW Live Stream: Markerlight Strategem

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

GW Live Stream: Markerlight Strategem

Post#1 » Nov 24 2017 10:09

So, the new Markerlight stratagem has been revealed in the recent livestream by GW. It replaces one Markerlight hit with 1+D3 Markerlight hits, resulting in 2-4 Markerlight hits instead of 1, for one Command Point.

We don't have it in writing yet, but it was explained quite clearly in the livestream.

For one command point, this seems to be a very powerful stratagem, and might just make that 5-Markerlight benefit reachable!

What do you think?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Nov 25 2017 04:33, edited 2 times in total.

DancinHobo
Shas

Re: GW Live Stream: Markerlight Strategem

Post#2 » Nov 24 2017 10:15

I was watching, and I thought it was D3 plus one. Unless I misheard

bobby hostile
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 24 2017 10:18

I read the leak and without posting it verbatim, it seems that if you hit a unit with marker lights, you get d3+1

So it's bonus ML hits if you hit one or more times. It's better than what we have currently and it could be pretty good. Time will tell.

Garacaius
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 24 2017 10:55

Would the wording "when hit by a marker light" imply that you use the stratagem gem against an enemy unit?

“Just one game,” they said and started to play. That was yesterday...

namegiver
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 24 2017 10:56

Also, as I understand it you can apply the Strategem *after* hitting with a markerlight so there's no chance of wasting the CP.

Garacaius
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 24 2017 10:59

So, basically, depending on context, you can double your ML hits... This could be worth it if it's cumulative against one enemy unit.

“Just one game,” they said and started to play. That was yesterday...

namegiver
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 24 2017 11:04

I guess, double at minimum -- with the potential to triple or quadruple depending on the result of the d3

bobby hostile
Shas

Post#8 » Nov 24 2017 11:11

Depending on how many you fire and/or hit with, the elusive “5” could be more easily achieved.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Nov 24 2017 11:23

Hold on a second- I didn't watch the stream itself, I just read the recap online. The poster on SpikeyBits said it was +1 Markerlight Token. Is there any evidence that it'ss +1+D3 Markerlight Tokens?

namegiver
Shas

Post#10 » Nov 24 2017 11:42

Yes, I watched the stream this morning and just went back to doublecheck (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203914579 @ 02:08:20) -- they definitely said d3+1 markerlights. Here's my transcription from the video in case you don't subscribe on Twitch:

Uplink Markerlights: Use this strategem after an enemy unit has been hit by a markerlight, you place d3+1 markerlights on it instead of only 1.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Nov 25 2017 04:22

namegiver wrote:Yes, I watched the stream this morning and just went back to doublecheck (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203914579 @ 02:08:20) -- they definitely said d3+1 markerlights. Here's my transcription from the video in case you don't subscribe on Twitch:

Uplink Markerlights: Use this strategem after an enemy unit has been hit by a markerlight, you place d3+1 markerlights on it instead of only 1.

That sounds like replaces the hit, as opposed to augmenting it. Should give a hit range of 2 to 4, as opposed to 3 to 5 if it were supplimental.

Still awesome, and still something I am gonna use

bobby hostile
Shas

Post#12 » Nov 26 2017 12:11

[quote="namegiver"]Yes, I watched the stream this morning and just went back to doublecheck (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203914579 @ 02:08:20) -- they definitely said d3+1 markerlights. Here's my transcription from the video in case you don't subscribe on Twitch:

Uplink Markerlights: Use this strategem after an enemy unit has been hit by a markerlight, you place d3+1 markerlights on it instead of only 1

So then each makerlight hit goes from 1 to d3+1? Because if that’s the case ML’s just became awesome. Unless of course you can only use the Strategem on a single markerlight hit, in which case it’s fairly crappy

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Nov 26 2017 12:33

bobby hostile wrote:
namegiver wrote:Yes, I watched the stream this morning and just went back to doublecheck (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203914579 @ 02:08:20) -- they definitely said d3+1 markerlights. Here's my transcription from the video in case you don't subscribe on Twitch:

Uplink Markerlights: Use this strategem after an enemy unit has been hit by a markerlight, you place d3+1 markerlights on it instead of only 1

So then each makerlight hit goes from 1 to d3+1? Because if that’s the case ML’s just became awesome. Unless of course you can only use the Strategem on a single markerlight hit, in which case it’s fairly crappy

Well you can only use the same stratagem once per phase but far from crappy it means if you have a Cadre fireblade and 5 Pathfinders you should easily get 5 markerlight hits with this stratagem. In this edition I don't think I've had 5 hits on a target yet even when bringing 15 pathfinders, a couple marker drones and a fireblade!

AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Nov 26 2017 01:26

I brang fireblade on a 4 droneport drones
Two marksmen
4 shash uis in strikereams with markerlights
One group of 9 pathfinders
One group of ten pathfinders
I never had lass than two targets at five and a smattering of others at one two or three

That also includes the two games i totally forgot to use the four drones on the droneport.
Other games ive managed to block my pathfinder shots. With poor positioning or just used their carbines at someone closing on them. Even with lots of losses im still getting what i need marked.

But i guess 30 is spamming?

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Nov 26 2017 01:37

AleksandrGRC wrote:I brang fireblade on a 4 droneport drones
Two marksmen
4 shash uis in strikereams with markerlights
One group of 9 pathfinders
One group of ten pathfinders
I never had lass than two targets at five and a smattering of others at one two or three

That also includes the two games i totally forgot to use the four drones on the droneport.
Other games ive managed to block my pathfinder shots. With poor positioning or just used their carbines at someone closing on them. Even with lots of losses im still getting what i need marked.

But i guess 30 is spamming?

What size games are you playing? Roughly 400pts (including the droneport) is a lot for markerlight support in a 1500-2000pt game most games I play have been 1000-1500pts and you aim for 1 light on any targets (6pathfinders have special weapons so only use 12 light firing models) as 5 is too much effort to guarantee and would need everyone else to shoot at that target for it to be worth it.

Though may bring back my 6 man double missile pod + ATS squad with new stratagem 1 unit a turn is gunna feel the hurt :fear:

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Nov 26 2017 01:48

Nymphomanius wrote:
bobby hostile wrote:

In this edition I don't think I've had 5 hits on a target yet even when bringing 15 pathfinders, a couple marker drones and a fireblade!

What!?! I really hope you roll dice one at a time... Or you are a really really really really unlucky guy.

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Nov 26 2017 01:51

Yesterday I played against Imperial Guard and I already used the new stratagem :biggrin: :biggrin: It was AWESOME! Both time I rolled a 6 (lucky me). I used Fireblade, Darkstrider, two units of 5 Pathfinders (first with 2 Rail and Ion, second with 1 Rail) and one unit of 7 (all Carbines), so a total of 13 markers + the one from the Sun Shark that managed to hit once on 5+ :D

AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Nov 26 2017 06:14

Yeah 2000 pts

Return to “General Discussion”