Frontline Gaming - Chapter Approved - Review Discussion

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Frontline Gaming - Chapter Approved - Review Discussion

Post#1 » Nov 27 2017 01:13

Greetings fellow Commanders.

Here is the latest from Frontline Gaming on Chapter Approved.

Tau - Chapter Approved

Warlord Trait:
Exemplar of the Kauyon: if your Warlord did not move, they can re-roll failed hit rolls. If they move for any reason, they lose the ability until the start of their next turn.

Exemplar of the Mont’Ka: the Warlord can advance and still shoot as if he had not moved this turn.
Stratagem(s): Uplinked Markerlight: 1 CP, after an enemy unit is hit by a Markerlight, place 1D3+1 Markerlight counters on the unit instead of only 1.

Relic: Puretide Engram Neurochip: Once per battle, you can re-roll a single failed hit roll, wound roll or damage roll made for the bearer of a friendly unit within 6″ of the bearer. Additionally, every time you or your opponent use a stratagem, so long as the bearer is alive and on the table, on a 6 you gain a CP back.

The ability to re-gain CP is always solid and as it works when either player uses one you can expect to pick up an additional 2-4 CP in most games. The stratagem is quite good as it takes a lot of the variability out of Markerlight allocation. A lot of what the T’au do depends on landing those Markerlights and this is a way to crank that up reliably without requiring too many resources. As you use it after you hit a target, you can judge if you need to use it or not on the fly which makes it very efficient. The Warlord Traits are a bit limiting and will require a unit built to take advantage of them to be chosen over some of the generic traits in the BRB but I am sure we will see clever T’au players making good use of them.

Full Article: https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2017/11 ... ed-review/

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Re: Frontline Gaming - Chapter Approved - Review Discussion

Post#2 » Nov 27 2017 05:01

Why does GW hate T'au players? The codex better see some significant stratagems. Everyone can shoot better than T'au. Where is the special finessing that it takes to play T'au?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 27 2017 08:34

Sheeb wrote:Why does GW hate T'au players? The codex better see some significant stratagems. Everyone can shoot better than T'au. Where is the special finessing that it takes to play T'au?

While the article is a bit patronizing, the and the Traits are bad, the Relic is decent and the Stratagem is very, very, very good. GW doesn't hate us.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 27 2017 11:47

How do relics work? I'm still new to Warhammer (only played 13 games since I started in end of June). Either way, the warlord traits seem great for longstrike. With exemplar of Kauyon, longstrike can shoot 'hard to hit' targets with 97.2℅ accuracy WITHOUT markerlight support :eek:. That blows my mind. The relic can give extra chances for extra damage. The relic has a potential to just earn free command points! This is stupid good for the markerlight stratagem we just acquired. I just need to learn how relics work now :P.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 28 2017 12:05

Arka0415 wrote:
Sheeb wrote:Why does GW hate T'au players? The codex better see some significant stratagems. Everyone can shoot better than T'au. Where is the special finessing that it takes to play T'au?

While the article is a bit patronizing, the and the Traits are bad, the Relic is decent and the Stratagem is very, very, very good. GW doesn't hate us.

I’m not surprised it’s patronizing. This is frontline. Their dislike of Tau is well known in particular Reece.

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Nov 28 2017 01:52

Lostroninsoul wrote:How do relics work? I'm still new to Warhammer (only played 13 games since I started in end of June). Either way, the warlord traits seem great for longstrike. With exemplar of Kauyon, longstrike can shoot 'hard to hit' targets with 97.2℅ accuracy WITHOUT markerlight support :eek:. That blows my mind. The relic can give extra chances for extra damage. The relic has a potential to just earn free command points! This is stupid good for the markerlight stratagem we just acquired. I just need to learn how relics work now :P.

You can give a character a relic. The armies with a codex can pay 1 or 3 CP to get an additional one or two relics.
You can have one relic max on a character, and some of them replace an item on said character (For example, the space marine relic Teeth of Terra replaces a chainsword).
And to be fair I'd rather give exemplar of Mont'ka to Longstrike, so you get a hyper mobile Hammerhead :P

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Nov 28 2017 02:23

More specifically, you get one relic for free if you are battleforged. Each relic you get after the first costs 1 CP and then 3 CP if you get a third relic. These CP are spent before the game starts. Note that relics cannot be given to units that already have them (such as named characters). An example of this would be Roboute Guilliman cannot take any relics since he uses the Emperor's Blade.

I'm not sure what was patronizing about the post. The Warlord traits are limiting in Recee's own words. It means that you can't just slap it on an HQ and call it a day. You have to specifically have a unit in mind to get the most benefit out of it. That's exactly what he is saying. Is he wrong?

The stratagem is amazing considering that the only thing any T'au player has been using for CP has been re-rolls, auto morale passage and interrupting fights. This stratagem is a buff and it will certainly help.

The relic isn't blowing your pants off, but not everything in a codex is supposed to. Take a look at any other codex out there and you will see warlord traits and relics that just plan suck. As for this one, it's free, gives a single re-roll which equals to one CP if you want to get technical, and allows you to gain extra CP on a 6+ when your opponent uses a stratagem. This could give you 2-3 more CP over the course of the game.

The real question is - who is allowed to use it. It doesn't give a restriction. Unless of course the CA book specifically mentions it.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 28 2017 04:50

AnonAmbientLight wrote:More specifically, you get one relic for free if you are battleforged. Each relic you get after the first costs 1 CP and then 3 CP if you get a third relic. These CP are spent before the game starts. Note that relics cannot be given to units that already have them (such as named characters). An example of this would be Roboute Guilliman cannot take any relics since he uses the Emperor's Blade.

The real question is - who is allowed to use it. It doesn't give a restriction. Unless of course the CA book specifically mentions it.

So from what I can gather named characters who already have a relic or unique equipment cannot take relics, fine.

But what about named characters without any unique equipment?

Take our current named characters
Aun'va has paradox of duality, no relic for you
Farsight has dawn blade
Shadowsun you could say her suit as it is unique
Darkstrider has the structural analyser
Longstrike? Nothing I can think of he has the tank ace ability but that's not equipment
Aun'Shi? Again a special ability but no equipment a normal ethereal can't take.

Would you say Longstrike or Aun'Shi could take relics? I would argue so.

BibiFloris
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 28 2017 06:27

Longstrike has the XVO2 Pilot Battlesuit.

This is what it says in the astra militarum codex and it is probably comparable to the rule we will get.

If your army is led by an ASTRA MILITARUM Warlord, then before the battle you may give one of the following Heirlooms of Conquest to
an ASTRA MILITARUM CHARACTER. Named characters such as Lord Castellan Creed already have one or more artefacts, and cannot be
given any of the following relics.

My interpretation is no relics for all named charters regardless of relic.
All praise the greater good or fall under its might.
Sorry for all of my English mistakes made and to make.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Nov 28 2017 07:11

BibiFloris wrote:Longstrike has the XVO2 Pilot Battlesuit.

This is what it says in the astra militarum codex and it is probably comparable to the rule we will get.

If your army is led by an ASTRA MILITARUM Warlord, then before the battle you may give one of the following Heirlooms of Conquest to
an ASTRA MILITARUM CHARACTER. Named characters such as Lord Castellan Creed already have one or more artefacts, and cannot be
given any of the following relics.

My interpretation is no relics for all named charters regardless of relic.

Fair enough, though ironically Creed doesn't have any unique equipment but him with say the laurels of victory would be nuts, churning out up to 12 orders a turn :D

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Nov 28 2017 07:59

Jhul'vol wrote:
Lostroninsoul wrote:How do relics work? I'm still new to Warhammer (only played 13 games since I started in end of June). Either way, the warlord traits seem great for longstrike. With exemplar of Kauyon, longstrike can shoot 'hard to hit' targets with 97.2℅ accuracy WITHOUT markerlight support :eek:. That blows my mind. The relic can give extra chances for extra damage. The relic has a potential to just earn free command points! This is stupid good for the markerlight stratagem we just acquired. I just need to learn how relics work now :P.

You can give a character a relic. The armies with a codex can pay 1 or 3 CP to get an additional one or two relics.
You can have one relic max on a character, and some of them replace an item on said character (For example, the space marine relic Teeth of Terra replaces a chainsword).
And to be fair I'd rather give exemplar of Mont'ka to Longstrike, so you get a hyper mobile Hammerhead :P

That's good too. I just feel the exemplar maximises the effect of the ability fire caste exemplar which buffs himself. Giving reroll of 1's is something that normally requires a markerlight. The trait let's his main cannon do 3.01 damage/turn against a vechile with 7 toughness +3 save versus his normal 2.58/turn. The way I see it this 1.increases his survivability by encourages him to stay at a distance from your opponent, 2. alows you to save markerlights for other targets (the new stratagem is still a one use a turn thing), and 3. Use maximum efficiency at maximum range.
That appeals to me over Mont'ka trait. The Mont'ka adds ~3.5 to a 12" move. It helps makes his smart missles better though. It only affects his hit rolls moving <12" once he is injured since his fire caste exmplar buffs himself anyways.

*Squints*... :eek: ... Hmmm...Exemplar of Kauyon appear to buff overwatch/greatergood!!! Woot woot!

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#12 » Nov 28 2017 09:30

Jacket wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

I’m not surprised it’s patronizing. This is frontline. Their dislike of Tau is well known in particular Reece.

You have proof of that?

I know Receese and Frankie and that has never been my impression. Even if Tau isn't his favorite doesn't mean they would go out of there way to bash a faction. The review reads pretty straight forward and fair like the rest of them to me. We each have our factions we like and don't like too.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#13 » Nov 28 2017 01:32

Nymphomanius wrote:
So from what I can gather named characters who already have a relic or unique equipment cannot take relics, fine.

But what about named characters without any unique equipment?

Take our current named characters
Aun'va has paradox of duality, no relic for you

He comes with two unnamed characters. As the rule is just that the Relic must go on a Character it appears that an Ethereal Bodyguard can take a Relic. As Aun'va has zero reasons to put himself or his bodyguards in harms way that is a pretty safe place to put a Relic the main purpose of which is to try to generate CP by being on the table all game.

Or have I missed a rule somewhere?

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Nov 28 2017 01:43

I just hope they don't make our relics take a wargear slot. I run a fluffy FSE list with only two commanders, and I'd hate to have to chose between the relic and firepower on a 2+ unit.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Nov 28 2017 02:24

CDR_Farsight wrote:I just hope they don't make our relics take a wargear slot. I run a fluffy FSE list with only two commanders, and I'd hate to have to chose between the relic and firepower on a 2+ unit.

They never have in the past and non weapon relics don't replace any wargear in other books you just "take" them.

Weaponized relics would take up a weapon hardpoint as expected.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Nov 28 2017 02:31

Nymphomanius wrote:
CDR_Farsight wrote:I just hope they don't make our relics take a wargear slot. I run a fluffy FSE list with only two commanders, and I'd hate to have to chose between the relic and firepower on a 2+ unit.

They never have in the past and non weapon relics don't replace any wargear in other books you just "take" them.

Weaponized relics would take up a weapon hardpoint as expected.

I won't hold my breath....
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Nov 28 2017 04:20

I guess the stratagem is pretty good. But we still are at BS4 4+, NIDS can have their shooty bugs at BS 3+, sooooo why are Starship Trooper esq bugs BETTER than Tau shooting? (Shooting twice, & better weapons) Everything has BS 4+ (except ork boys but they can't hit anything because they are beasts in combat).

I think T'au deserve better shooting buffs. I'm not saying they need to be BS 3+, just I always thought that T'au were a "shooty" army (and mobile) because we have 0 close combat effectiveness (army wide generalization), and 0 psychic phase interaction.

I reallly reallly reallllly hope that the upcoming codex splits into:
1) T'au (ie Mech and troops)
2) T'au Empire (aka allies)

I guess I'll just have to hang tight and wait and see. GW has done an incredible job with 8th edition so far is many ways, so I am optimistic even though I sounds super negative. Just pointing out the obvious i guess.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Nov 28 2017 04:40

Sheeb wrote:I guess the stratagem is pretty good. But we still are at BS4 4+, NIDS can have their shooty bugs at BS 3+, sooooo why are Starship Trooper esq bugs BETTER than Tau shooting? (Shooting twice, & better weapons) Everything has BS 4+ (except ork boys but they can't hit anything because they are beasts in combat).

I think T'au deserve better shooting buffs. I'm not saying they need to be BS 3+, just I always thought that T'au were a "shooty" army (and mobile) because we have 0 close combat effectiveness (army wide generalization), and 0 psychic phase interaction.

Depends on what your shooting with...commanders hit on 2's, gundrones drown opponents with sheer volume of dakka. Markerlights add to our hit rolls. Longstrike hits on 2's (even against things with hard to hit with his fire caste exmplar). Hammer heads shoot on 3's. Pulse weapons can get extra shots with cadre fireblade. We have a variety of ways to shoot well and a variety of ways to make sure our targets are in range. I am quite content at the moment. I heard 7th edition tau was top tier. I don't want my army to be that brutal that no one wants to play me

Return to “General Discussion”