Heavy gun drones

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Beerson
Shas'Saal

Heavy gun drones

Post#1 » Nov 27 2017 05:14

So with the new marker stratagem, I decided to revisit HGD's, and I noticed few lacking rules

a) lack of rule to target only closest visible unit, was this faq'd or can they shoot anyone unlike tactical drones?
b) saviour wounds distribution, can you use different drones when distributing the wounds or only the one which allready took a wound?

As for their efficiency, 1 ml heavy drone costs 3 points less then 3 gun and 1 ML drone, having 1W and 8 shots less, while lacking the possibility to trade 4 shots for SG and not being able to take advantage of it's units ML

what are the advantages of taking HGD's over tactical drone squads? (Besides cheaper $ price)

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Heavy gun drones

Post#2 » Nov 27 2017 05:41

a) Yea they can shoot anywhere. (Note that only Gun Drones have the target restriction, not all tactical drones.)
b) You can, with how it's worded, the wounded first restriction only concerns wound allocation within the target unit.

They're just too expensive for what they do, and they shoot ML at lowered BS when moving. The only advantage I see is better morale for one unit/FoS of equivalent firepower, but in 8th that's not generally an issue.

They would be usable if they gave them long barreled BC instead...

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Nov 27 2017 05:43

A-not FAQ, they can target properly. one can assume the added bulk gives room to add a better target priority computer

B-You allocate to the unit, not to a model, therefor you have to stack the wounds up until one dies.

As for the advantages of the HGD over a squad of 3 gun drones and 1 marker drone.
As usual-none. I doubt there was ever a point in time where HGD were viable compared to plain old drones.

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 27 2017 05:48

As i understand this could be the answers

1. Without Threat identification protocol there is no need for the drones to shoot at the closest visible enemy unit so Heave gun drones can shoot as you command them to do.
2. The allocation of wounds by saviour protocols is not done to a drone model, is done to a drone unit. Rules say that the first wound in any unit can be allocated to any model you decide yet subsequent wound will go to such model.

About why having bigger units well it can be to hold better table control of objectives. I have been able to spread 8 of them for up to 13 inches keeping always in mind the unit coherency and controling two close objectives at the same time. In the same way with good positioning up to eight drones can provide saviour protocols to multiple units. I would love to take a couple of HGDrones to protect an FB Commander with Drone Controler sadly with them unable to deep strike and slowly moving across the field their role can be executed way better by other units.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 6500 PTS

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 27 2017 06:16

Doing some math and theorycrafting, I think they made a mistake when pricing them, likely not taking in account the insane price of BC especially when two carbines which are literary equivalent to BC cost 0 points, if they priced the drone at 8 points it would make much more sense (41 for two bc + marker, comparable to 2xML + 3x Gun drones, 56 for two double BC being worse then 7 gun drones by 1w and 12 shots w/o fireblade)

of course with BC price adjustment to say 4pts and HGD price at 13pts it would be best balance imo, being comparable to tactical drones in both versions while offering different tactical uses

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 27 2017 06:42

Best use of HGD? Cheap heavy support for a brigade detachment :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Nov 27 2017 06:51

Nymphomanius wrote:Best use of HGD? Cheap heavy support for a brigade detachment :D

If they get a price drop in the future, this could be a real possibility.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Nov 27 2017 07:14

Well, I was surprised they even got the to FW index... they stopped selling them a while ago. I'm not even sure they'll get to any new FW publication after that.

Return to “General Discussion”