Factfile: Battleforce T'au

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Factfile: Battleforce T'au

Post#1 » Nov 29 2017 05:41

So can we assume some hidden gems in this article?
https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-4/

With the current index rules I'm not overly enthusiastic with how they think this box should work.. But does this maybe mean some insights in upcoming Codex?

Most interesting tidbit I found was that the Stormsurge was mentioned as a Battlesuit, though it lacks the keyword..They even suggest having drones nearby for protection...

And why are Markerdrones suggested as best choice for the crisissuits? hmm ponderings here!

discuss!

Edit: Typo's
Last edited by StealthKnightSteg on Nov 30 2017 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Re: Factfile: Battleforce T'au

Post#2 » Nov 29 2017 06:12

My skeptical nature leads me to think the person writing this blog is looking at how to build this specific box as a balanced army and isn’t considering a competitive list. Since this box doesn’t include pathfinders, a Fireblade, etc. they recommend the drones for ML support.

I think they just aren’t aware that Stormsurges don’t have the battlesuit keyword. It seems many people are not, as I constantly see ablative wounds given to drones off the SS in batreps.

Dut'ch
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 29 2017 06:37

At one point the article mentions Stealth Suit units having access to three fusion blasters... I took this to be a typo or lack of knowledge on the part of the article writer, rather than some sort of insight to the codex.

I suspect the same applies to what they said about the Stormsurge.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 29 2017 07:40

If there's anything about 3 Fusion Blasters it's been changed already. I don't think there's anything in this article that implies the author doesn't know Tau rules, unless I'm missing something?

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 29 2017 07:42

The only "gem" I found it this one : "How you equip your battlesuits is up to you, but consider taking at least one flamer on your Commander and XV8 Crisis Battlesuits to discourage any units that try to charge you."

To write something this stupid you can't just be ignorant of the T'au index, but of the entire game as well. In what world a single D6 auto hits of S4 are a deterrent to charges? xD

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 29 2017 07:50

I think it's been written by a marketing man with parents in mind looking to buy little Johnie an Xmas present

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Nov 29 2017 07:56

Haechi wrote:To write something this stupid you can't just be ignorant of the T'au index, but of the entire game as well. In what world a single D6 auto hits of S4 are a deterrent to charges? xD

Well, I mean, it's better than nothing!

You're right though :D

szeszej
Shas

Post#8 » Nov 30 2017 02:19

Well, they can't tell them to equip the crisis with full CiBs becuase there's only 1 in the set ;)

kruetz
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 30 2017 02:40

KROOT ARE NOT A GOOD OBJECTIVE HOLDER

60PTS 6+ SAVE ON 10 WOUNDS

80PTS 4+ SAVE ON 10 WOUNDS 88PTS 4+6+ ON 10 WOUNDS FOR FIRESWARRIORS 88PTS 4+5++ ON BREACHERS

#&*( GW GET YOUR GAME RIGHT!

-THE ANGRY TAU

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Nov 30 2017 03:09

kruetz wrote:KROOT ARE NOT A GOOD OBJECTIVE HOLDER

60PTS 6+ SAVE ON 10 WOUNDS

80PTS 4+ SAVE ON 10 WOUNDS 88PTS 4+6+ ON 10 WOUNDS FOR FIRESWARRIORS 88PTS 4+5++ ON BREACHERS

#&*( GW GET YOUR GAME RIGHT!

-THE ANGRY TAU

Kruetz, I strongly advise you to read through the forum rules before continuing. As an ATT Member you should always strive to post with substance.

ATT Membership Guidelines wrote:Post with Substance or not at all.
This site is paid for and maintained entirely by volunteers. Every post you make, we pay for out of our own pockets, and out of our own time. Make our investment in the community worthwhile by only posting when you have something of substance to contribute. "Shoutin' out to my peeps." doesn't cut it. "This army list sucks." also doesn't cut it. Both types will result in the post being deleted without informing the poster. Use the clearest language you can, check and re-check your spelling, research your hypotheses before you post, and provide quantifiable evidence that supports your point.

"Substance" includes proper spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Obviously we all make occasional mistakes, and allowances will be made for non-English speaking members and members with disabilities* who make a reasonable effort to post well. However, unreadable or very poorly-written posts will not be accepted from anyone. The same applies to signatures.

This also includes high standards regarding any photographic images submitted of completed or Work-In-Progress models. Please take a moment to ensure that any such pictures are correctly focussed. Out-of-focus pictures are not "of high standard" and are not easy to look at, so please do not post them.

Also, do not write entire posts in color, bold, capital letters or italics. These tools should only be used for emphasis, NOT entire posts. Using capitals or large size format is also seen as Internet SHOUTING. Please do not SHOUT at your fellow members.

Further failure to comply with ATT guidelines will not be tolerated.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Nov 30 2017 03:23

Haechi wrote:The only "gem" I found it this one : "How you equip your battlesuits is up to you, but consider taking at least one flamer on your Commander and XV8 Crisis Battlesuits to discourage any units that try to charge you."

To write something this stupid you can't just be ignorant of the T'au index, but of the entire game as well. In what world a single D6 auto hits of S4 are a deterrent to charges? xD

The author is not wrong to suggest that. Flamers are cheap and adding one to all suits in a squad is viable if you have the hard points and if the weapon fits the role.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

kruetz
Shas

Post#12 » Nov 30 2017 03:44

"Finally, if you’re looking for a low-points objective-holding unit, consider some units of Kroot Carnivores." -Article quoted above.

I know I am treading over many previous post on the subject, so when I see GW write something that many people who love, and spend a great amount of time invested in the beloved T'au army unanimously disagree the statement months before this was writen; I need some help to understanding if this can be taken at face value, when the community that plays the army, for the most part, as their first and only army, all disagree with this statement.

I have tried kroot myself, love the models. But I see myself playing them when I currently run out of physical fire warriors models.

My apologies for being abrasive of the actual GW rules that make a strike team or breacher teams much better at holding objectives. ( Without including that firewarriors get much better buffs from characters than kroot).

I love the game, and Love my T'au.

kruetz
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 30 2017 03:54

AnonAmbientLight wrote:The author is not wrong to suggest that. Flamers are cheap and adding one to all suits in a squad is viable if you have the hard points and if the weapon fits the role.

The basic issue here, as you pointed out, is adding +1 to hit with 5 markerlights. This does not benifit commanders with a 2+ BS, but a 16% increase for any other unit proves a great value. But this only makes xv8 units competive with commanders if you don't consider that cost of the markerlights...

I think I am just late to the party, because I have been taking the advice of ATT and taking commanders over xv8 units. Every time I write a list, I try to use all my xv8 models, but I cant because of Commanders. I truly want to use other units, but every time Commanders are just better...........

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Nov 30 2017 04:21

kruetz wrote:The basic issue here, as you pointed out, is adding +1 to hit with 5 markerlights. This does not benifit commanders with a 2+ BS, but a 16% increase for any other unit proves a great value. But this only makes xv8 units competive with commanders if you don't consider that cost of the markerlights...

Re-rolling ones and +1 BS gives a unit close to 78% accuracy. That's absolutely fearsome. With our new Markerlight stratagem, getting that bonus is now much easier. Commanders may still be better, but hopefully that's just a fluke of the Index. Markerlights will make or break our armies, and with the current trend, things are only looking better and better! :biggrin:

kruetz wrote:I think I am just late to the party, because I have been taking the advice of ATT and taking commanders over xv8 units. Every time I write a list, I try to use all my xv8 models, but I cant because of Commanders. I truly want to use other units, but every time Commanders are just better...........

Yeah, Commanders are definitely the stronger option. Just live with that quirk for now, and hope it settles out in the Codex I guess.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Nov 30 2017 05:25

AnonAmbientLight wrote:
Haechi wrote:The only "gem" I found it this one : "How you equip your battlesuits is up to you, but consider taking at least one flamer on your Commander and XV8 Crisis Battlesuits to discourage any units that try to charge you."

The author is not wrong to suggest that. Flamers are cheap and adding one to all suits in a squad is viable if you have the hard points and if the weapon fits the role.

You missed the part where he talks about Commanders ^^

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Nov 30 2017 05:44

Haechi wrote:
AnonAmbientLight wrote:The author is not wrong to suggest that. Flamers are cheap and adding one to all suits in a squad is viable if you have the hard points and if the weapon fits the role.

You missed the part where he talks about Commanders ^^

Yeah, adding a Flamer to a Commander does seem a bit crazy.

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Nov 30 2017 07:08

8 flamers and 6 gun drones dropping in around the Commander seems like a much better charge deterrent. :evil:

Atlas_MH
Shas

Post#18 » Nov 30 2017 09:20

Am I the only one wondering what an "experimental XV8-02" is?
I feel like I would have remembered hearing that somewhere prior to that article, but I just don't. :-?

Return to “General Discussion”