Objective Secured Options for Tau

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
bob10182
Shas

Objective Secured Options for Tau

Post#1 » Dec 01 2017 09:54

I am a long time follower but I don't post too much. I took a long break after 5th edition and now I'm back with my favorite army the Tau. I was curious about the new Objective Secured rule and how we can use our troops to benefit from this change.

I play casually with my nephew now and left the tournament scene. He is an Ork player and I try not to list build too much against his green horde. He is till learning and we are both still learning 8th edition.

So I am going to try out 10 breachers in a Devilfish for the first time. I have another Devilfsih but I don't have anymore Breachers. I can proxy or buy more but I was curious if Breachers in a Devilfish are the answer to capitalize on the new Objective Secured rule. I can also see running two of these units as a points sink since we are without a codex and we have quite a few overcosted units.

I always appreciate the thoughts of this forum, and thanks for any help.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Re: Objective Secured Options for Tau

Post#2 » Dec 02 2017 07:16

Breachers in a Devilfish are good at pushing forward onto an objective.

Strike teams chilling in cover, probably with a turret for fire support, are decent at holding home objectives.

Kroot are a bit too fragile for holding objectives against opposition (which is when you would need ObSec) as they always were - but worse now because they lost Outflank. I think you take Kroot for the defensive value of a chaff screen and maybe a few survivors will help you grab an objective later on.

bob10182
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 02 2017 02:27

I have a round 20 kroot and I'm unsure how to use them, honestly I'm just not using them. I used to have them in my lists quite a bit as bubble wrap but drones are helping with that.

I'm planning on trying out the Devilfish with Breachers. I think it needs a points reduction for sure. It's a great troop carrier but it's hard to fit two in a list.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#4 » Dec 02 2017 05:00

bob10182 wrote:I have a round 20 kroot and I'm unsure how to use them, honestly I'm just not using them. I used to have them in my lists quite a bit as bubble wrap but drones are helping with that.

I'm planning on trying out the Devilfish with Breachers. I think it needs a points reduction for sure. It's a great troop carrier but it's hard to fit two in a list.

Kroot can use their pre-game move to push deep striking opponents out of their killing range and are good bubble-wrap. Getting them to hold objectives is as much a matter of luck as anything and they struggle to hold an objective against most things that would try to contest it so ObSec is not that big a deal on them.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Dec 02 2017 08:14

Kroot - as mentioned, kroot are a "cheaper" troop choice for T'au. They are still very weak with their low armor save but they fill a decent role in deepstrike denial. At least on the first turn.

Firewarriors - The only other option we have. Great at holding objectives in the back. Mediocre at holding and grabbing midfield objectives. Hiding them on objectives out of LoS is crucial. Especially if their role is only objective holding.

I might have my editions mixed, but are dedicated transports considered to have objective secured in 8th?
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

kruetz
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 03 2017 01:43

AnonAmbientLight wrote:
I might have my editions mixed, but are dedicated transports considered to have objective secured in 8th?

No

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 03 2017 09:22

Does anyone know if the pair of drones that come with Fire Warriors count as Troops?

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#8 » Dec 03 2017 09:46

QimRas wrote:Does anyone know if the pair of drones that come with Fire Warriors count as Troops?

They should. Any drone brought with a squad should keep their battlefield role. So drones brought by strikers or breachers should also be objective secured.

Czar Ziggy

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 05 2017 08:23

Little interesting trick: drones fielded with troop choices become troops as well, and therefore have the Objective Secured rule too =]

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Dec 11 2017 07:08

Hi there, thought I'd weigh in on this :)

Breachers are great as a counterpunch unit. Because they can have really destructive shooting they can be great for pushing out against entrenched enemy objective holding units. However since your opponent is using orks they're not really the best choice. The extra strength and AP with their 5" profile is kinda wasted, and once you kill 5 or 6 orks with them the other 25 in the mob are going to shoot and chop them to bits. The better choice against horde armies is by far the Strike team. They have the range to stay back, but they keep the killing power against low armour targets. Using a devilfish loaded with Firewarriors and a fireblade would be a good little taskforce to push forward for an objective. They'd need quite a bit of fire support to kill/significantly reduce any nearby ork blobs to ensure they don't just get charged and chopped up, but if you take out a decent chunk of the blob that wants to go for them then the devilfish is a great roadblock. Once the strike team inside has bailed out and claimed the objective, the devilfish can charge into a reduced ork mob and tie them up, protecting your Strike team from getting shot/charged by that unit.

As for your kroot, as most people have said, they are good for screening by being set up as a larger bubble using their vanguard move. This stops any deepstrike or deepstrike equivalent from being able to close with your line. However they're about as tough as wet tissue paper and will die in droves if anything looks at them funny. Against orks this isn't as bad as normal since they don't have the best shooting, but a mob of 30 boys will kill a fair few with weight of shots. If your nephew is a fan of using the psychic power "Da Jump" to get a big mob up in your face, Kroot can be effective for limiting how close he can get to you. Essentially, kroot aren't bad as such, and will be little more than a speedbump, but they could buy you another turn of shooting by virtue of being a speedbump. That's where their use lies in my opinion. 120 points could get you 2 units of 10, which should be enough to bubble wrap your main army block.

Out of curiosity, what is your playstyle? Do you like to form a gunline? Be as mobile as you can? Or a mix of the two with a main army block and a good chunk designed to be mobile. From your desire to use devilfish I'm guessing you lean more towards mobility.

Hope that helps! R'Kai
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

Return to “General Discussion”