Got some games, opinions, and would like some discussion.

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
KinGensai
Shas

Got some games, opinions, and would like some discussion.

Post#1 » Dec 04 2017 02:01

So far, I have played 4 games in total (3 against IG, one against CWE), and have been pleasantly surprised in some areas.

Stealth suits are much more durable than I gave them credit for before I started playing them. Earthshakers have a rough time getting casualties to stick efficiently and a stupid amount of firepower is required to take out a 3 man squad (much more than 300 points of IG, that's for sure). I am definitely happy with their defensive capabilities and will continue taking them solely because of that, because their offensive output has been lacking as I expected.

I also ran some crisis suits here (a 3 man tri-plas team and a 3 man tri-flamer team) in all games and there is a very clear winner here. I may run tri-plas suits later on when the codex comes out and I expand the army, but right now the tri-flamer team has wreaked havoc on horde infantry, often killing multiple units of infantry before they are taken out. BS4+ is too weak with tri-plas, and the cost is not reflected in the damage output, so off they go to await the codex and either upgrades or a list that sports more markerlights.

Commanders are great (2 quad fusion and 1 3x CIB ATS), nothing to see here.

Ghostkeel is a big flop IMO, it has done all of jack squat every game, so I'm putting these away for later. Definitely not a self-sufficient model.

The Bullgryn meatstar (the 2+/2++ deathstar using Celestine and take cover, all that) is functionally impossible to kill to a normal Tau list, I don't know what to do about this unit besides ignore it and kill other stuff... We need some mortal wound sources that aren't seeker/destroyer missiles... or GW needs to get it's head out of the sand and change all of the abilities they are using to improve the save characteristic instead of adding to their save rolls. a -1 armor save is good enough without the 2++ to add insult to injury.

Tau in general are actually much more durable than I expected. As long as I try to stick to cover and hit a flank hard, my stuff sticks around for a very long time. That being said, I'm still probably going to go get more shield drones lol.

Now that I got my Y'vharas from FW, time to build and run those.

So... where do I go from here? My initial thought is to start getting fire warriors, fireblades, and Aun'va for objective holding thanks to CA, but maybe there's another way I can expand? I'm most likely best off waiting for the codex, but I'm thinking fire warriors are going to be a safe bet whichever way the codex goes.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Re: Got some games, opinions, and would like some discussion.

Post#2 » Dec 04 2017 04:16

Firewarriors and fireblade are good for getting a Battalion detachment and those sweet 3CP for our new stratagem.

Also if your firewarriors don't have a particular target take pop shots at the bullgryns P.S. Actually have 0+/2++ with the full works for even AP2 weapons give a 2+ armor save so celestine isn't adding much unless weapons are Ap4.

That said if celestine isn't nearby some railrifle shots will make a serious dent in them and if he is spending 1Cp a turn to keep them at max save and keeping an astropath behind them not only will railrifles force him to burn CP pretty quick if the Psyker fails to cast barrier then they will be down to a 6+ save without take cover!

Also rail rifles scare the pants off any T5 multiple wound units and for a laugh take darkstrider and make rail rifle wound his T7 vehicles on 4+ and any T6 transports / MC's on 3+ :biggrin:

KinGensai
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 04 2017 04:31

The full list is the bullgryn meatstar with an assortment of 8~9 primaris psykers and astropaths + celestine, so it's smite spam. I just decided to ignore that module and kill his infantry squads + artillery and concede a flank to the meatstar. Smite spam hits me hard in particular because I only have quality wounds in my current iteration.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 04 2017 04:50

KinGensai wrote:The full list is the bullgryn meatstar with an assortment of 8~9 primaris psykers and astropaths + celestine, so it's smite spam. I just decided to ignore that module and kill his infantry squads + artillery and concede a flank to the meatstar. Smite spam hits me hard in particular because I only have quality wounds in my current iteration.

How many Bullgryn is he using in a unit? If its large squads try using Sunsharks to clear them out. They are a pretty solid and repeatable source of Mortal Wounds, unlike other bombers.

Also, Shield Drones are pretty good against smite spam armies. The smiter has to hit them if they are in front of your other units, and their FnP Shield save works against Smite.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 04 2017 04:53

KinGensai wrote:The full list is the bullgryn meatstar with an assortment of 8~9 primaris psykers and astropaths + celestine, so it's smite spam. I just decided to ignore that module and kill his infantry squads + artillery and concede a flank to the meatstar. Smite spam hits me hard in particular because I only have quality wounds in my current iteration.

I had a similar problem vs tyranids smite spam with neuranthropes, tyants and dakkafexes to ruin infantry and drones.

Atleast CA put the cost up on all those Psykers.

One bit of cheese you can try (I literally just thought of this so it is untried and un tested) if he is shielding the Psykers with the meatstar I assume they are behind it?

Try taking a Stealth suit team with a Homing beacon and get up in their face turn 1 literally either 1" from the front or as close to the back of the unit as you can, drop your beacon and then bring your flamers in 1" from the Psykers and toast those fools. And assault them for good measure with stealth suits and XV8s hell even a few drones can get in on a psyker and cause hurt.

If it works 1. Let me know 2. Pull the biggest troll face imaginable when it does :P

KinGensai
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 04 2017 05:39

QimRas wrote:

How many Bullgryn is he using in a unit? If its large squads try using Sunsharks to clear them out. They are a pretty solid and repeatable source of Mortal Wounds, unlike other bombers.

Also, Shield Drones are pretty good against smite spam armies. The smiter has to hit them if they are in front of your other units, and their FnP Shield save works against Smite.

Sunsharks are easy prey for artillery and smite spam, so I don't know if taking these is worth it unless I take a full air wing, and I may do that at some point. But right now, I'm sticking to ground suits, Y'vahras are next up to the plate.

Unfortunately for shield drones, each mortal wound goes to a shield drone, so they get depleted very quickly to the spam. Unless I get some lucky 5+ saves, each smite is taking out 2 drones on average, and nothing I have takes out the meatstar at anywhere near the speed required to make that a good trade.

Return to “General Discussion”