First time building, concerns with codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Re: First time building, concerns with codex

Post#19 » Dec 07 2017 07:00

Arka0415 wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:Hang on so if you buy a Coldstar, and don't attach those bits to it what is it's movement? If it's an option of 2 different things what does the other one do?

If you don't attach those bits, then it'll look more like an Enforcer, not like a Coldstar. The big difference between the two models is the oversized thruster backpack.

So you can't buy a Coldstar? You buy a Commander then the bits to stick on him to make him a Coldstar? That's stupid.

Forgive my ignorance I only buy models in store that is pants on head silly.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Dec 07 2017 07:10

Nymphomanius wrote:So you can't buy a Coldstar? You buy a Commander then the bits to stick on him to make him a Coldstar? That's stupid.

Sorry I don't think you quite understand.

The "Commander" boxed set contains a number of parts. Those parts can be assembled as a Coldstar Commander (which uniquely has a large jetpack, steering vanes, a low-profile head, and a limited weapon loadout), or as an Enforcer Commander (which has a smaller jetpack, a simpler design, a classic XV8-style head, and a large number of weapons).

You buy the Commander boxed set, then you choose the components which define the model as a Coldstar Commander, rather than as a normal Commander.

You choose to build one, or the other. This is very common in model sets, for example, the Fire Warrior boxed set can be assembled as a Strike Team or as a Breacher Team, likewise Drones can be assembled as Gun, Marker, or Shield Drones.

Make sense?

szeszej
Shas

Post#21 » Dec 07 2017 07:51

Also, with some clever magnetisation, you can essentially swap between Coldstar and Enforcer as you see fit.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Dec 07 2017 07:56

Arka0415 wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:So you can't buy a Coldstar? You buy a Commander then the bits to stick on him to make him a Coldstar? That's stupid.

Sorry I don't think you quite understand.

The "Commander" boxed set contains a number of parts. Those parts can be assembled as a Coldstar Commander (which uniquely has a large jetpack, steering vanes, a low-profile head, and a limited weapon loadout), or as an Enforcer Commander (which has a smaller jetpack, a simpler design, a classic XV8-style head, and a large number of weapons).

You buy the Commander boxed set, then you choose the components which define the model as a Coldstar Commander, rather than as a normal Commander.

You choose to build one, or the other. This is very common in model sets, for example, the Fire Warrior boxed set can be assembled as a Strike Team or as a Breacher Team, likewise Drones can be assembled as Gun, Marker, or Shield Drones.

Make sense?

I see I've never bought a new Commander model I bought most of my army back in 5th only ghostkeel and stealth suits are new editions.

Originally I thought you're advice to magnetize the coldstar jetpack was equivalent to magnetizing a firewarrior Shas'ui head incase you wanted to change his facial expressions :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Dec 07 2017 08:18

Nymphomanius wrote:I see I've never bought a new Commander model I bought most of my army back in 5th only ghostkeel and stealth suits are new editions.

Originally I thought you're advice to magnetize the coldstar jetpack was equivalent to magnetizing a firewarrior Shas'ui head incase you wanted to change his facial expressions :D

Gotcha, no worries! It would be more like magnetizing the weapon on a Fire Warrior or the gear on a Drone- it wouldn't change the general shape of the model, but it's critical for identifying the model as one option over the other!

Return to “General Discussion”