Breachers and how to use them

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Breachers and how to use them

Post#1 » Dec 13 2017 08:39

How would one go about using breachers with pulse blasters efficiently?

With their 5-15" range and squishiness, I find it hard to find use for them.

What I've been doing is I've been filling an orca with tons of breachers and supersonic'ing behind enemy lines, but even though it's a fun tactic, it's far from ideal.

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Breachers and how to use them

Post#2 » Dec 13 2017 10:06

Yeah, probably the most common tactic is of course the Devilfish.

Of course I heard about people running them without a Devilfish, but I think they fit really well with it.

That said, I made good use of them. The Devilfish itself is a good LAV, but is far from cheap. It should bring your Breachers nevertheless wherever you want them. Your enemy has to put some serious Firepower in him to stoph him.

So your Breachers are sitting in a good Shell. They don’t need further support like Drones etc. If you like maybe Darkstrider and of course some Markerlights, but that wasn’t the question I think.

Speaking of Markerlightsupport I think it’s important to remind, that Breachers have Assault weapons. So with the new Stratagem it’s no problem to advance an shoot without penalty.

With that in mind, the Devilfish is a great opportunity. Itkeeps the Breachers for the first volley safe, and they can then advance and close the gap to the enemy quick and safe with probably full squad size.

EDIT: in my last game the enemy destroyed a lot of Infantry in the first round. My Breachers where safe in their Devilfish. At the end, he destroyed it in the assaultphase in the first round, but my Breachers had full strength. In my turn they where then able to strike back with just a little repositioning.

I think, that shows quite good what I mean. If there wasn’t the Devilfish they were obliterated without any possibility to be useful. Also I lost an expensive Transporter, he could „deliver the package“

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 13 2017 01:33

A YouTuber once suggested using them as bubblewrap. Anything that comes close to your forces is not going to enjoy that privilege for long. They also can advance and shoot. Devilfish is a good transporter as well.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 13 2017 02:52

Yea, but ever since they nerfed transports with that whole "you have to stand still for a whole turn to disembark", I haven't been very fond of investing in a slow transport like the devilfish.

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 13 2017 02:53

Here's how I use Breachers (They are so costly, but I love their look so i use them). You will need a devilfish, Darkstrider and 10 breachers.

It's all about pre-measuring where things are likely to be. Let me say that again, you want to put them where the enemy will likely be in optimal range. This is CRAZY hard in this edition because you have soooooo many deep striking units and movement shenanigans that predicting WHERE the enemy target will be is extremely difficult. And a smart opponent will send in another unit other than the one you want to light up.

Load them inside the fish, lets say that you are going 2nd. You assume they will advance and move, calculate a bit above average dice rolling (ie a 5-6 for advance) then you add their next turn's movement and their above average charge distance. You see what I mean how it becomes hard to predict... You want them to do 1 of 2 things usually. Be a tempting charge bait, or objective grabber/flanker. But if you don't use them every turn you are wasting points efficiency.

Ok so you measured out where they are likely to be so on tyour turn you move the fish up (baiting them) then if they fail which you got to give them a chance to make it, then great. Your Breachers pop out and light whatever failed up with DS ML first. If they don't attempt to charge it, cool, you pop them out next turn and light them up a slightly further range. Why Dark Strider? Well if you do get into assault and by some miracle you survive leaving and firing again can be GAME CHANGING! I had my breachers charged by Ork Mega nobs and we didn't flee and didn't die (miraculously) and we fled, then killed them at super close range. (this is why you take max squads of Breachers with DS)

My biggest beef with Breachers is they have to sit them in a DF and you waste turns of them doing crap like shooting stuff , getting into a position or grabbing objectives. Now, you could argue that getting into position is valid, but i view blowing this up as more effective early game strategy.

So if you want to use Breachers to late game grab you can, but .... the points investment and their limited range stinks. Bubble wrapping sounded neat, but you might not live because you have weak armor. It would be cool if in the codex they are used as effective assault troops like charging into CC but using their Pulse blasters instead of melee. AOS does shooting in the fight phase, why not Breachers. That makes them far more deadly, but still such a glass cannon with no real staying power. Or they could have grenades that pin the enemy in place, or reduce the enemies charge by 1d6 or half.

Just my thoughts.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 13 2017 03:35

you have an orca? wow - sounds like a cool use of breachers :eek:

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 13 2017 03:49

Breachers can be user powerful in both the attacking and defending side of Planetstrike and Stronghold Assault.

On the attacking side of Planetstrike, they gain a 6 inch deep strike. On the defending side, enemies charging fortifications do not count as locked in combat and can still be fired upon.

Stronghold Assault is similar. On the defending side, they are great for dealing with charging enemies, since there is a sapper strategem that makes assaulting fortifications advantageous. On thr assaulting side, they can close quicklu, do high damage shots, and finish fortifications with a sapper assault, making them good spearhead units.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 14 2017 05:20

I'm using them on foot. They fill troop slots for my battalions and yet cannot be ignored by my opponents. It's a great tax unit.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 14 2017 07:07

Never used breachers, but I'm planning on using some that I've just painted up. Arriving by devilfish and peppering the enemy seems like a good idea, but I've also noticed in the core rules you can fall back into a transport even if the transport has already moved. So if your breachers are in combat and you want to get them out you can send in a devilfish to rescue them :nice:

bl4ckc00k1e
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Dec 14 2017 07:36

Me always use 2 Squads of 10 Breachers in 2 DevilFish. I should put each DevilFish in the Side of the table (Right and left).

1 Squad always go with a Darkstriker and 1 Guardian Drone (This is perfect to kill important squads with T4)
The other Squad goes with a Guardian Drone and Marker Drone (With this Squad i try to kill units with T3, block assault units or try to kill Heavy weapons in the back of the enemy)

In the case that there are a lot of enemy squad that can assault your breacher Squad, i assault first with the Devilfish to the squad that i don't going to shoot yet. Next turn leave the Devilfish of the combat and shot with Breachers.

The first Squad have the advange of -1 to T with darktriker, and i ussually shoot the marker light with him (+2) to repeat the 1 of breachers. In case that Devilfish stop 1 squad but there are more that assault your Breacher Squad i use Photon Granades (2 or 4) depends to try to survive... Why? because the next turn with Darktriker i can leave and shoot enemy in the face.

To finish i should say that i use always 2 squads of XV25 with homing beacon... in the 2º turn comes 3 crisis with 3 flamers and 6 shooter drones and Farsight with 2 shield. The enemy Friking out looking Tau at 5' destroy all xD.

P.D. I wanna test Aun'Shi in 1 Devilfish with Breachers

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Dec 14 2017 02:29

K'Pokk wrote:you have an orca? wow - sounds like a cool use of breachers :eek:

I use my devilfish as an orca. I'm working on 3d-printing one though.
Problem with the orca is that it has crap weapons, and it costs *BAD WORD DELETED!* of points to both field it and fill it up.
It IS pretty cool to move 55", get blown up then have 6 full breacher teams with 4 heavy gun drones rain down on the enemy though, especially since your transport blowing up is not that bad in 8e when you have such a large number of models in it.

bl4ckc00k1e wrote:Me always use 2 Squads of 10 Breachers in 2 DevilFish. I should put each DevilFish in the Side of the table (Right and left).

1 Squad always go with a Darkstriker and 1 Guardian Drone (This is perfect to kill important squads with T4)
The other Squad goes with a Guardian Drone and Marker Drone (With this Squad i try to kill units with T3, block assault units or try to kill Heavy weapons in the back of the enemy)

In the case that there are a lot of enemy squad that can assault your breacher Squad, i assault first with the Devilfish to the squad that i don't going to shoot yet. Next turn leave the Devilfish of the combat and shot with Breachers.

The first Squad have the advange of -1 to T with darktriker, and i ussually shoot the marker light with him (+2) to repeat the 1 of breachers. In case that Devilfish stop 1 squad but there are more that assault your Breacher Squad i use Photon Granades (2 or 4) depends to try to survive... Why? because the next turn with Darktriker i can leave and shoot enemy in the face.

To finish i should say that i use always 2 squads of XV25 with homing beacon... in the 2º turn comes 3 crisis with 3 flamers and 6 shooter drones and Farsight with 2 shield. The enemy Friking out looking Tau at 5' destroy all xD.

P.D. I wanna test Aun'Shi in 1 Devilfish with Breachers

Honestly, I tried that. I put up one breacher team and aun'shi against belisarius. They all died without hurting him, and then two of my fusion crisis suits one-shot him.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Dec 15 2017 12:55

I think we have had discussions on this but IMO, it is useful to have at least one squad of breachers to fill out whatever troop requirement you need for any particular build.

Breachers can be a useful bubblewrap if you know you are going to be getting charged early, and they can also be decent at shooting if they can get close to things. Sending them after midfield objectives would be a good idea in this capacity.

The drawback, of course, is that they are still T3 with 4+ saves. That's not very durable. The other issue is that if your opponent never tries to get into melee or get close to you, their short range becomes a handicap.

Best bet is to try them out and see how they fit with your playstyle / meta.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

bl4ckc00k1e
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Dec 15 2017 03:45

AnonAmbientLight wrote:I think we have had discussions on this but IMO, it is useful to have at least one squad of breachers to fill out whatever troop requirement you need for any particular build.

Breachers can be a useful bubblewrap if you know you are going to be getting charged early, and they can also be decent at shooting if they can get close to things. Sending them after midfield objectives would be a good idea in this capacity.

The drawback, of course, is that they are still T3 with 4+ saves. That's not very durable. The other issue is that if your opponent never tries to get into melee or get close to you, their short range becomes a handicap.

Best bet is to try them out and see how they fit with your playstyle / meta.

Yeah, depends your playstyle i never lose yet on 8th and i played more than 15 games. But i played very very agressive... very diferent from 7th

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Dec 15 2017 04:39

bl4ckc00k1e wrote:Yeah, depends your playstyle i never lose yet on 8th and i played more than 15 games. But i played very very agressive... very diferent from 7th

Aggressive is the way to play in 8th, you're right about that. We just don't have the long-range shooting options we once had. Breachers fit in well with the new short-range playstyle, and so do Gun Drones, Commanders, XV8s, and mechanized units too.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Dec 15 2017 05:06

I swear by Breachers in all my lists. A unit of Breachers in a devilfish with a shield and guardian drone is one of the first things I add to any list. They encourage me to play more aggressively than I ever would with regular fire warriors. I often stick them up a flank as they can effectively control that flank in many cases, or at least dampen any attacks by my opponents down that flank. In turn that let’s me concentrate most of my forces down another side initially.

I have also started playing around with dropping down to 9 Breachers and including Darkstrider. It gives you a dedicated markerlight, the ability to fire again after combat (which your Breachers are likely to get in), but most importantly it lets you wound on 2+ against most infantry, and even brings most tanks down to a 4+.

The other important thing to remember is you can disembark the devilfish's gun drones at the same time to be additional wounds for the squad, making them even harder to shift.

bl4ckc00k1e
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Dec 15 2017 05:35

Arka0415 wrote:
bl4ckc00k1e wrote:Yeah, depends your playstyle i never lose yet on 8th and i played more than 15 games. But i played very very agressive... very diferent from 7th

Aggressive is the way to play in 8th, you're right about that. We just don't have the long-range shooting options we once had. Breachers fit in well with the new short-range playstyle, and so do Gun Drones, Commanders, XV8s, and mechanized units too.

Yeah, now only i have 1 Hammerhead and i wanna buy 2 hammerhead + longstrike to support the first line. In my case only i Have 2 commanders, so i use crisis too (with flamers with farsight).

Farsight let me do an extra montka in the first line to the breachers. For me Farsight have decent stats (can be better), but this is other point.

In two games i use the Sharkbomber but was wasting points, always is destroy in the first turn.

The other important thing to remember is you can disembark the devilfish's gun drones at the same time to be additional wounds for the squad, making them even harder to shift.

Yeah i forget wrote that, you must disembark drones at the same time of breachers always to get more cover.

AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Dec 18 2017 01:42

Guardian drone ethereal combo?

A second 6+ fnp worth the points and devilfish seat?
That is how it works with the drone ethereal combo, correct?

Just asking. I prefer the darkstriders abilities myself.

Or, or we surprise the enemy with the
Aun shi, shield drones combo.

szeszej
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Dec 26 2017 06:17

Do you take markerlights on your breachers squads? Being Heavy doesn't help and of course, we're wasting a lot of firepower by firing just the markerlight. The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if I should glue my last markerlight to one of the pulse blasters. My intuition tell me it's a waste and it's simply better to have markerlights elsewhere (fire warriors and pathfinders) but I'd very much like to hear other people's opinions.

Return to “General Discussion”