Commander keywords

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Commander keywords

Post#1 » Dec 15 2017 03:24

Why doesn't the commander have the "xv8 crisis battlesuit" keyword?
That doesn't let us embark them anywhere (specifically the orca). It doesn't make any sense.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Re: Commander keywords

Post#2 » Dec 15 2017 04:14

Temennigru wrote:Why doesn't the commander have the "xv8 crisis battlesuit" keyword?
That doesn't let us embark them anywhere (specifically the orca). It doesn't make any sense.

Because initial tau rule writing for both forgeworld and GW is about the sloppiest attempt at a codex I’ve seen in almost 25 years of gaming.

Same reason the Tigershark couldn’t even shoot its guns because.

Also, I think the Orca is gone....RIP
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 15 2017 08:59

CDR_Farsight wrote:
Temennigru wrote:Why doesn't the commander have the "xv8 crisis battlesuit" keyword?

Because initial tau rule writing for both forgeworld and GW is about the sloppiest attempt at a codex I’ve seen in almost 25 years of gaming.

Haha, I can't disagree with you. Let's hope things get better in the Codex.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 16 2017 12:55

Yea... I don't think the newer commander model would fit into an orca(unless it was crawling), but then again, 32 XV8s wouldn't fit in either.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 18 2017 10:45

CDR_Farsight wrote:

To paraphrase FW:
Forge World wrote:We would love to have the orca back. It was one of our most gorgeous models. The problem is the original mold is broken.

Gragagrogog wrote:Yea... I don't think the newer commander model would fit into an orca(unless it was crawling), but then again, 32 XV8s wouldn't fit in either.

The orca came with its own folded xv8s. And in theory, commanders use the same battlesuits as the xv8s, they are just larger to differentiate them from the others.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 18 2017 11:19

Actually, it's not the same suit.

Its the same base, but the enforcer suit is bigger, can carry more stuff and is generally tougher.

Its like comparing two modern tanks of the same family but different marks. Same concept, but not quite identical.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 18 2017 01:44

Temennigru wrote:
CDR_Farsight wrote:

To paraphrase FW:
Forge World wrote:We would love to have the orca back. It was one of our most gorgeous models. The problem is the original mold is broken.

Gragagrogog wrote:Yea... I don't think the newer commander model would fit into an orca(unless it was crawling), but then again, 32 XV8s wouldn't fit in either.

The orca came with its own folded xv8s. And in theory, commanders use the same battlesuits as the xv8s, they are just larger to differentiate them from the others.

They can just go buy a mold from China then. They have dozens of pretty decent molds....even some with less flash and/or less warping

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 18 2017 03:35

boomwolf wrote:Actually, it's not the same suit.

Its the same base, but the enforcer suit is bigger, can carry more stuff and is generally tougher.

Its like comparing two modern tanks of the same family but different marks. Same concept, but not quite identical.

It's actually the same as comparing the M1 Abrams with the M1A1D Digital. They both have the same base and serve almost the same purpose, but the M1A1D is more upgraded than the Abrams. They both fit in a C17, though.

Commander Deffblade
Shas

Post#9 » Dec 18 2017 04:45

I think it's more accurate to explain that there was a time (circa 2nd sphere expansion) when Commanders used a standard XV8 Crisis suit, and that there were subsequent iterations of the XV8 (XV8-02 for example) before commanders had access to the newer and larger battlesuits (XV8-05, XV85, XV86, etc).

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Dec 18 2017 07:09

Because the Commander doesn't pilot an XV8 anymore. They use either XV-85 Enforcer Battlesuits or XV-86 Coldstar Battlesuits, fluff-wise. Why those two suits in particular aren't allowed to mount the FW flying transports, I don't know.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Dec 19 2017 08:36

Bloodknife92 wrote:

Because the Commander doesn't pilot an XV8 anymore. They use either XV-85 Enforcer Battlesuits or XV-86 Coldstar Battlesuits, fluff-wise. Why those two suits in particular aren't allowed to mount the FW flying transports, I don't know.

Just the orca. They can fit into the manta just fine.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Dec 19 2017 11:41

Temennigru wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:

I haven't seen 8th edition Orca rules, so the only transports for the Tau right now are the Devilfish (makes sense that the CRISIS cannot fit) and the Manta which has specific slots for any mid sized battlesuit.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Dec 19 2017 12:35

CDR_Farsight wrote:
Temennigru wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:Because the Commander doesn't pilot an XV8 anymore. They use either XV-85 Enforcer Battlesuits or XV-86 Coldstar Battlesuits, fluff-wise. Why those two suits in particular aren't allowed to mount the FW flying transports, I don't know.

I haven't seen 8th edition Orca rules, so the only transports for the Tau right now are the Devilfish (makes sense that the CRISIS cannot fit) and the Manta which has specific slots for any mid sized battlesuit.

The orca specifically only carries units with the "crisis xv8 battlesuit" keyword and infantry, and the manta has all the units that fit into it listed.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#14 » Dec 19 2017 12:50

CDR_Farsight wrote:I haven't seen 8th edition Orca rules, so the only transports for the Tau right now are the Devilfish (makes sense that the CRISIS cannot fit) and the Manta which has specific slots for any mid sized battlesuit.

It can only hold Infantry, Drones and Crisis Suits. Which is pretty sad both for commanders and also for Hazards, who used to have a whole formation dedicated to them being deployed by an Orca.

Cheers!

Return to “General Discussion”