Is it Still a Strike Team with Pulse Carbines?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Is it Still a Strike Team with Pulse Carbines?

Post#1 » Dec 15 2017 04:36

Dear Tau'fann -
It is pretty much accepted now that in 8th edition the preferred weapon for fire warrior is the pulse rifle. However, if fire warriors were armed with pulse carbines, would they still be called a 'strike team'? ;)

Thoughts?

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Is it Still a Strike Team with Pulse Carbines?

Post#2 » Dec 15 2017 04:48

The unit name on the datasheet is 'Strike Team' and is made out of 5 - 12 Fire Warriors armed with either rifles or carbines. So yes, they would still be called a Strike Team.

Or is this not a rules question, but some weird meta-philosophical language conundrum? I am slightly confused.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 15 2017 07:13

GND wrote:The unit name on the datasheet is 'Strike Team' and is made out of 5 - 12 Fire Warriors armed with either rifles or carbines. So yes, they would still be called a Strike Team.
Or is this not a rules question, but some weird meta-philosophical language conundrum? I am slightly confused.

Yes it's a meta question rather than rules, as I'm working on military terminology for the lexicon. The original Tau lore had different terms for different weapon load outs on crisis suits and vehicles. Example: an ion cannon hammerhead tank is a TX-76, but a railgun hammerhead is a TX-78.

For pulse carbines going all the way back to 3rd edition could fire photon grenades force them to "go to ground" and thereby keeping the unit from moving or shooting - "pinning the unit". This is no longer a thing in 8th edition.

However, in a historical context, it would seem that if a pulse rifle unit is called a "striker team"; then a unit armed with pulse carbines might be called something else. Like maybe a "suppression team"?

Okay, so it is no longer in the rules, but it does make sense IMHO.

Military Terms for Fire Warrior Teams - Tau Empire

Tau Empire
Teams
Ka’rua...... ...Strike team (Pulse rifle)
Mankar’rua ...Suppression team (Pulse carbine)
Kauy’rua.......Pathfinder team
Tseuk’rua .....Breacher team (Pulse Blaster)

Weapons
Buwl’tarka.....Pulse blaster
Saro’kabuu.....Pulse carbine
Saro’tarnsha...Pulse pistol
Saro’kansaro...Pulse rifle

Grenades
Aiski’tak........Hand bomb (demolition charge/explosive)
Aiki'gar’tak.....Hand grenade (any hand thrown explosive - generic)
Sho’gar..........Photon grenade
Sha’gar..........Smoke grenade
Doki’gar.........Signal grenade
Oi’sho’gar.......EMP grenade

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Dec 16 2017 02:51

Well, if we're discussing meta-history, it should be noted that pure pulse carbine Fire Warrior teams are a relatively recent development. In the original 3rd edition Tau codex there was no such thing - all Fire Warrior teams were either armed entirely with pulse rifles or had a mix of pulse rifles and pulse carbines, with the closest thing being a Fire Warrior team with a 50/50 split between riflemen and carbiners.

My own take is that there is no distinction between the two in nomeculture, but then I also don't recognise 'strike team' as a real unit name. To me Fire Warriors with pulse rifles or pulse carbines are just Fire Warriors, and Fire Warriors with ARC blasters are Fire Warrior breaching teams, and it's as simple as that (it also helps that the two units wear different armour, so I can use that as the distinction instead of armament if necessary).

I have however come up with a trio of 'Ad Hoc' designations for different Fire Warrior team configurations. They aren't formal, so are always used with inverted commas, and are to be considered nicknames more than anything:

- 'Tactical': Fire Warrior teams armed with a mixture of pulse rifles and pulse carbines (commonly around 1 carbine for every 3 or 4 rifles, but higher ratios are also far from uncommon).

- 'Fire Support' or 'Defensive': Fire Warrior teams armed entirely with pulse rifles.

- 'Assault': Fire Warrior teams armed entirely with pulse carbines.

That's my system, for what it's worth.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Commander Deffblade
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 16 2017 10:51

I thought the alpha numeric codes for Tau weaponry was the imperial code for them. So the Tau call their battlesuit Crisis or Enforcer, but the Imperium calls them an XV8 and XV85 (or XV8-05).

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Dec 16 2017 11:30

Commander Deffblade wrote:I thought the alpha numeric codes for Tau weaponry was the imperial code for them. So the Tau call their battlesuit Crisis or Enforcer, but the Imperium calls them an XV8 and XV85 (or XV8-05).

If I recall correctly it's actually the other way around.
I remember pages from the original Imperial Armour Three: Taros Campaign (or maybe the first Apocalypse?) where you see an imperial datasheet detailing the first sighting of Tau armor and the names they (the imperials) had given them.

I do not have a copy of the original Taros campaign (or Apocalypse for that matter) at hand anymore so I can't tell you the pager numbers sadly.

Did manage to find this picture though, but can't tell you which book it's from :(
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Dec 16 2017 11:41

I do recall that the XV designation was a phonetic misunderstanding of the original Tau term, which translated as "Hero's Mantle", though I don't recall the actual term; something along the lines of "Heks vre" (all my books are back in CONUS, so I cant look it up)
Given the Tau have been shown to use base 8, the XV-8 numbering must also be a human designation, since the number 8 would not be actually a Tau number (presumable its a Tau character equivalent to "10" or "0")

Oms
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 17 2017 06:02

Looking in my Tauros copy the Ordo Xenos records makes no mention of the numerical designations, just the "names": Manta, Hammerhead and Broadside. That would seem to imply that the numericals are what the T'au use.

No idea where @Agen00abes's example's from: it mentions the main armament being a double railgun, something I can't remember seeing, as well as it being named as a "heavy hammerhead" with a weight of 32 tonnes: the HH in Tauros is just called "hammerhead" and weighs 24 tonnes.

Hawkins
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 17 2017 09:06

I was always under the impression that the XV[number] designation was Imperial, as T'au counting is a base 8 structure, making XV9 and XV10 designations nonsensical.

Oms
Shas

Post#10 » Dec 18 2017 08:28

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would having an XV10 be more strange than us, counting with base 10, having a XV11?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Dec 18 2017 08:41

Oms wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but would having an XV10 be more strange than us, counting with base 10, having a XV11?

You can't have an "8" when you count in base 8. You would count 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 12. So, the XV8 is really an XV10 to the Tau, which throws off the whole numbering system.

Return to “General Discussion”