The everchanging game: FAQs and Updates

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The everchanging game: FAQs and Updates

Post#19 » Dec 17 2017 08:39

Chris wrote:Although I do the same, I bought a Y’vahra, too. Of course it’s probably the best Tau unit atm, but it’s a really outstanding model, too. I love it.

There's definitely an argument to be made that the Y'vahra is the best Tau unit. At least for the time being, you made a very good decision picking one up!

Unusualsuspect wrote:So they can choose between A) milking new-edition and new-codex money (for some players, multiple codexes) every few years, or B) a much smaller amount in Chapter Approved that they'd be getting anyway (since selling Chapter Approved and new editions are not mutually exclusive).

The question is not what they could do, but what we expect them to do. I do not expect them to get rid of the new-edition-rebuy-your-books-every-few-years paradigm.

Would they NEED to? Probably not (though they might get grumbles from stockholders). But it isn't need that drives my assessment of Arka's statement as "optimistic".

They are not going to stop putting out new editions, that's clear. The Chapter Approved book is a useful release though. It's an annual game patch that also comes with fun content like game modes and conversion ideas. I don't really see a problem with it.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#20 » Dec 20 2017 11:29

Arka0415 wrote:They are not going to stop putting out new editions, that's clear. The Chapter Approved book is a useful release though. It's an annual game patch that also comes with fun content like game modes and conversion ideas. I don't really see a problem with it.

Yeah, for the most part, I've no real problem with it either (though point changes should be freely available as the errata that it is - the rest of Chapter Approved's additions are reasonable as Splatbook-worth extra content and potentially worthwhile).

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Dec 21 2017 02:31

Yeah but point changes may also result from changing some special rules or other changes and they'd have to be included too.
So I think that wont happen.

I'd like to see GW taking the same path as Microsoft did with Windows 10:
Instead of kicking out new editions when every faction got their codex they set up a basic rule-book and only patch it up every half year via Chapter Approved with corrections, embedded erratas and also new features with each CA including the changes from the CAs before.
And if enough changes were made they pack them up into a new rule-book.

I think one of the greatest problems GW had was the lack of transparency. Consumer didn't know what happens or how decisions were made.
The roadmap for FAQs and Updates is a real big step forward.

Just for your interest:
The german publishing company C.H. Beck sells legal texts in folders and offers subscriptions for them so you'll get for a year every update printed per mail and you can just throw out the old stuff from the folder and put in the new one.
If GW did the same with Errata-Pages printable at home or as lay-outs in the local stores...I'd just throw my money at them.

Return to “General Discussion”