Strike Team or Breacher Team

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Sean_da_sheep
Shas

Strike Team or Breacher Team

Post#1 » Jan 03 2018 03:51

Upon buying the index and start collecting for Tau (I'm quite new to 40k and just decided on Tau), I noticed there were two ways to assemble fire warriors. Upon further investigation, I found that they were divided into a Strike Team and a Breacher Team. As a built and painted the rest of the Start Collecting, I left the Fire Warriors to last due to me struggling to decide which one I wanted. If anyone could give me any advice on which team I should assemble them as for combat that would be great.

Oms
Shas

Re: Strike Team or Breacher Team

Post#2 » Jan 03 2018 04:03

Both are good: Strikers with Rifles have good long range firepower for a small firebase. Breachers have absolutely devastating but very close range firepower, and work best with a Devilfish in my experience. I'd recommend starting with a couple of Strike Teams.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jan 03 2018 04:05

Sean_da_sheep wrote:I noticed there were two ways to assemble fire warriors. Upon further investigation, I found that they were divided into a Strike Team and a Breacher Team.

You're right! The Strike Team and Breacher Team have different helmets, backpacks, shoulder pads, and (most importantly) weapons. Though, both units have access to the same add-on wargear: Markerlights, Support Turrets, Tactical Drones, and Guardian Drones.

Sean_da_sheep wrote:As a built and painted the rest of the Start Collecting, I left the Fire Warriors to last due to me struggling to decide which one I wanted. If anyone could give me any advice on which team I should assemble them as for combat that would be great.

It depends on the tactical role you want the unit to fill.

Strike Teams are all about range and synergy. They are best used at long range (up to 30") as objective holders, or at medium range (usually around 15") as anti-light infantry units. At medium range Strike Teams are also great when buffed by a Cadre Fireblade.

Breacher Teams are Tau close quarters units. Not close combat, but close quarters- Breachers thrive at point-blank range, usually 5" away from their enemies (or less!). Breachers are only viable when very close to enemy elite infantry, so they usually need some way to get there- usually Devilfish Transports.

In short, Strike Teams are long-range anti-infantry units, while Breacher Teams are short-ranged anti-elite units that work best when mechanized.

Since you have the Start Collecting kit, a Strike Team will be more useful. However, if you plan to buy a Devilfish Transport, then Breachers may also be a viable choice.

bl4ckc00k1e
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 03 2018 04:07

Strike = Long Range
Breachers = Short Destrutive range

What you prefer?

I recomended Strike for start because brecher need transport to work correctly

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 03 2018 03:54

A lot of this depends on playstyle. I use breachers on foot periodically and they scare the crap out of my opponents. I've had many games where they will dedicate a considerable amount of firepower to destroy a five man team.

On the flip side, this fear is somewhat warranted. Breachers can be devastating, especially when supported. A ten man breacher squad firing at 5" at a unit with 5 markerlights on it is going to suffer pain. I've cut terminator units in half and wiped out squads of marines with a unit like this (especially if Darkstrider is with them). And remember that they have assault weapons, so you can advance and fire, which catches a lot of people off guard, especially with the third benefit from the markerlight table.

At any rate, this all requires planning and practice. I would try both out and see what works best for you. There is no better teacher than experience.

Cheers!

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 03 2018 04:17

I actually had the same issue deciding which to pick. So I decided not to pick.

I preferred the look of the Breacher helmet and backpack so I used those. For the arm, the left arm is the same across all weapons so I glued that on. Then I sunk a small magnet in the right side of the body and the right arm.

Now I can swap out Strike Teams for Breachers by changing the weapon arm.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jan 03 2018 04:54

don't forget the saving throw: Breachers do get a 5++ from the Guardian Drone, Strikers only a 6++

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 05 2018 11:41

That's only if you take a Guardian Drone, which will likely just get shot at first.

Cheers!

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 05 2018 11:56

shasocastris wrote:That's only if you take a Guardian Drone, which will likely just get shot at first.

Cheers!

If you take a Guardian and Shield pair, they actually do a pretty decent job surviving. I have had opponents drop a surprising amount of firepower on them to clean them out. And all of that firepower was going at a pair of drones and not other more import parts of my army.

If you take two groups of guardian shield pairs like this it just ramps up how much firepower the enemy throws at essentially minor components.

Return to “General Discussion”