Riptide support systems (new player)

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Riptide support systems (new player)

Post#37 » Jan 17 2018 09:37

Darthi wrote:Could any possible

In previous editions Tau could ally pretty effectively with Eldar. So, that's where the jetbikes could come from.

Darthi
Shas

Post#38 » Jan 17 2018 10:42

Arka0415 wrote:
Darthi wrote:Could any possible

In previous editions Tau could ally pretty effectively with Eldar. So, that's where the jetbikes could come from.

Ok did not know that.
The first rule of unarmed combat is don’t be unarmed

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#39 » Jan 17 2018 10:47

Darthi wrote:Ok did not know that.

It was an odd time. One of the best Tau lists had Tyranid allies! The competitive scene was completely messed up. Tau may have been nerfed but 8th Edition is a breath of fresh air.

Darthi
Shas

Post#40 » Jan 17 2018 10:54

Arka0415 wrote:
Darthi wrote:Ok did not know that.

It was an odd time. One of the best Tau lists had Tyranid allies! The competitive scene was completely messed up. Tau may have been nerfed but 8th Edition is a breath of fresh air.

Ok tyranid allies that was for sure funny. A Little fluf question. Are there tau septs that work as mercenaries?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#41 » Jan 17 2018 11:04

Darthi wrote:Ok tyranid allies that was for sure funny. A Little fluf question. Are there tau septs that work as mercenaries?

Tau use a lot of mercenaries (mainly Kroot), but Tau themselves act as mercenaries only very, very rarely. I assume really only in situations where they could increase their influence over a world or spread the Greater Good.

Darthi
Shas

Post#42 » Jan 17 2018 11:12

Arka0415 wrote:
Darthi wrote:Ok tyranid allies that was for sure funny. A Little fluf question. Are there tau septs that work as mercenaries?

Tau use a lot of mercenaries (mainly Kroot), but Tau themselves act as mercenaries only very, very rarely. I assume really only in situations where they could increase their influence over a world or spread the Greater Good.

Ok so I must think another reason why I include The custodes jetbikes in my army.(I know that something like that would never happen but I like to experiment like that :) )

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#43 » Jan 17 2018 02:49

Arka0415 wrote:

Considering farsight enclaves is a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if there were rogue tau working as mercs.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#44 » Jan 17 2018 03:47

Temennigru wrote:Considering farsight enclaves is a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if there were rogue tau working as mercs.

Possibly very rarely, like a sub-faction of the enclaves have become so far removed from the greater good that they're willing to rent out their services. I would imagine that they are about as distant from the enclaves in terms of attitudes as the enclaves are from the empire.

Speaking of allying with custodes, I don't really see custodes hiring xenos mercenaries but more a situation where they up fighting the same enemy in the same place. Or you could have the custodes who have been ordered to make friendly contact with the Tau by some high up imperial guy whose views are far more liberal than that of those who ordered the Damocles crusade (after all, isn't Guilliman supposed to be quite pro-xenos?)

Darthi
Shas

Post#45 » Jan 17 2018 04:03

Watcher on the wall wrote:
Temennigru wrote:Considering farsight enclaves is a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if there were rogue tau working as mercs.

Possibly very rarely, like a sub-faction of the enclaves have become so far removed from the greater good that they're willing to rent out their services. I would imagine that they are about as distant from the enclaves in terms of attitudes as the enclaves are from the empire.

Speaking of allying with custodes, I don't really see custodes hiring xenos mercenaries but more a situation where they up fighting the same enemy in the same place. Or you could have the custodes who have been ordered to make friendly contact with the Tau by some high up imperial guy whose views are far more liberal than that of those who ordered the Damocles crusade (after all, isn't Guilliman supposed to be quite pro-xenos?)

That is a great idea and I habe Guilliman :D

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#46 » Jan 17 2018 04:36

Darthi wrote:That is a great idea and I habe Guilliman :D

Hmm maybe... I'm not sure Guilliman needs to be part of the list though, he could very well have ordered them off on a mission without going on it himself. Either way, it's your choice though ! :P

Darthi
Shas

Post#47 » Jan 17 2018 05:02

Hmm maybe... I'm not sure Guilliman needs to be part of the list though, he could very well have ordered them off on a mission without going on it himself. Either way, it's your choice though ! :P

I am gonna see how I deal with it. probably without Guilliman (I will maybe use him in one or two scenarios in a campaign) :D

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#48 » Jan 17 2018 06:41

Darthi wrote:

I am gonna see how I deal with it. probably without Guilliman (I will maybe use him in one or two scenarios in a campaign) :D

Sometimes I want to make an army of guilliman, magnus and mortarion, just to make space marine players taste their own medicine.
Not sure if that's feasible though.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#49 » Jan 17 2018 07:01

Temennigru wrote:Sometimes I want to make an army of guilliman, magnus and mortarion, just to make space marine players taste their own medicine.

I mean, from a tactical standpoint it would probably be worse than just taking Magnus and Morarion in a CSM army, but that's not to say it wouldn't be a really funny army to play. Imagine explaining things as you pull models out of your case for an open/narrative game:

"Yeah, I run a mixed Chaos army using a Super-Heavy Detachment... here's Magnus... and Mortarion... and Guilliman."

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#50 » Jan 17 2018 07:06

Arka0415 wrote:
Temennigru wrote:Sometimes I want to make an army of guilliman, magnus and mortarion, just to make space marine players taste their own medicine.

I mean, from a tactical standpoint it would probably be worse than just taking Magnus and Morarion in a CSM army, but that's not to say it wouldn't be a really funny army to play. Imagine explaining things as you pull models out of your case for an open/narrative game:

"Yeah, I run a mixed Chaos army using a Super-Heavy Detachment... here's Magnus... and Mortarion... and Guilliman."

All 3 of them are unkillable machines of death.
The force multiplier abilities are peanuts compared to what they can do by themselves.
Mortarion doesn't die and has a damage aura
Maguns literally makes troops out of nowhere and has *BAD WORD DELETED!* of powers
Guilliman can take 3 knights by himself
I'm pretty sure they'd do well.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#51 » Jan 17 2018 07:09

Temennigru wrote:All 3 of them are unkillable machines of death. The force multiplier abilities are peanuts compared to what they can do by themselves.

I just mean that a ~900-point list with the two Chaos Primarchs would probably be stronger point-for-point than a ~1200 point list with all three. Mortarion and Magnus are amazingly strong but Guilliman by himself is more or a force multiplier. Though it's a silly discussion :D

Return to “General Discussion”