Tau Color scheme

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
huckaby5202
Shas

Tau Color scheme

Post#1 » Jan 29 2018 04:05

Torch
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau Color scheme

Post#2 » Jan 29 2018 04:31

I'm of the opinion that black shouldn't be the main color of any scheme. It hides too much detail and makes them morph into terrain. I would suggest more natural schemes with less cyberpunk tones.

But to answer your question, the scheme is not really feminine, but it's not really cool either. Of course that's just my opinion, so take it as you will. :P

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 29 2018 04:45

I would do black on the legs and joints, a lighter grey for the armor and the electric blue accents.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Shas'o Shortsight
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 29 2018 05:14

I would advise against grey, if you want to use black as main color. Use grey (or blue) to accentuate the black parts. Otherwise details will vanish.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jan 30 2018 06:09

Torch wrote:I'm of the opinion that black shouldn't be the main color of any scheme. It hides too much detail and makes them morph into terrain.

Black is beautiful as a primary colour, as long as you edge highlight to pop the detail...

You can use a subtler, darker grey or a blue to do the highlighting if you thing the stark grey is too 'cell shaded' too.

You will however need to work your ass off on the detail you do add to make sure that it doesn't look 'lazy' (the last thing you want is people saying you have a lazy scheme when you have that much edging to do).

So you'll need a quite few 'contrast panels', your weaponry will need to not just be black (which is a go to colour for T'au weapons as metallics sometimes look out of place so that will need some thought), and you'll need to put in work of the optics and glow effects.

But black as a primary is definitely doable if you think about it and are willing to put the work in.

If you're good at wet blending/airbrushing, it's also possible to get a really nice shade effect on blacks which looks incredible, but is difficult to achieve.

Torch
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 30 2018 11:59

Sure, it can look great, but as you said it's a load of work and if you mess up it's super obvious. The pic he linked didn't have much detail though which is why I brought it up. I have trouble doing black on the skeletons of my suits because of those highlights :dead:

Return to “General Discussion”