Rules and helper parts for playing apocalypse

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Re: Rules and helper parts for playing apocalypse

Post#19 » Feb 08 2018 02:38

Osocruel wrote:
Temennigru wrote:It also makes larger games less boring to the player who's turn it is not.

But that's what beer is for! :P

You have 2 hands. Nothing is stopping you from drinking AND playing :P

ErSe0831
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Feb 08 2018 05:07

Temennigru wrote:
Osocruel wrote:
Temennigru wrote:It also makes larger games less boring to the player who's turn it is not.

Warhammer starter sets should come with a complimentary GW Guzzler Helmet :)

Quartz
Shas

Post#21 » Feb 08 2018 09:32

I played an apocalypse battle with 20k pts per side with my mate and it took 20 hours of gameplay.

My reserves:

Enemy reserves:

My deployment:

Enemy deployment:

Part of the fun is writing up the story and spending ages on it, it’s not something you’d do every weekend like a small skirmish. This game took us weeks to plan for and write a narrative and I don’t want that to be over in 3 hours :D

It’s almost always worth it and as CA states it doesn’t always come to an end, that’s why they suggest a time limit rather than tabling or turn limit (because turn 1 and 2 take up most of the time, they took up our entire first day but we got through to turn 6 on the second day)

As I said, totally worth it and worth setting aside the time to take a whole day over.
We gave them a chance at the greater good, now they die

Quartz
Shas

Post#22 » Feb 08 2018 09:37

We also built the board which was great fun!
We gave them a chance at the greater good, now they die

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#23 » Feb 08 2018 11:59

Temennigru wrote:Another rule we'll be testing is treating all phases like the fight phase: activating units one at a time.
It sounds counter-intuitive, but it might actually speed up the game since you won't get to shoot with all your units at the end of the round.

That sounds like an interesting change. Will there be any equivalent to charging, for some units to always shoot first? Strategems to interrupt that? I'd like to hear how it goes.

ErSe0831 wrote:
Temennigru wrote:
Osocruel wrote:

Warhammer starter sets should come with a complimentary GW Guzzler Helmet :)

Guys, this is a family friendly site. This would be one of the sillier reasons to get this thread locked. Enough.
-shasocastris

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Feb 08 2018 04:41

Quartz wrote:I played an apocalypse battle with 20k pts per side with my mate and it took 20 hours of gameplay.

Part of the fun is writing up the story and spending ages on it, it’s not something you’d do every weekend like a small skirmish. This game took us weeks to plan for and write a narrative and I don’t want that to be over in 3 hours :D

It’s almost always worth it and as CA states it doesn’t always come to an end, that’s why they suggest a time limit rather than tabling or turn limit (because turn 1 and 2 take up most of the time, they took up our entire first day but we got through to turn 6 on the second day)

As I said, totally worth it and worth setting aside the time to take a whole day over.

How did you move around miniatures in that huge board?
And how did you store/transport that table?

Return to “General Discussion”