Starting an Army

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 331

Re: Starting an Army

Post#19 » Feb 09 2018 07:48

TautallyRadical wrote:Thanks, StealthKnightSteg. I saw the same thing done with the biggest figure's weapon, the 'Stormsurge', I think its called. Looks like I'll be shelling out some cash for a hand drill and bits to magnetize the XV8 Crisis Suits, might as well make this modification as well.


You don't even need to pin the main gun on the Storm surge, the front half is the main difference between the two guns and it slots in quite snuggly. Arguably the easiest weapon option to swap in our entire army :p


Nitrogue wrote:Forge world:
As a newcomer im sticking well clear of forge world for the time being. Mainly because they are so expensive (manta is their second most expensive unit at £1000) and also because im a tad sceptical about the quality, hearing a fair number of stories about "failcast". Also not the best painter, so want some practise before trying a set which I only really want to buy once.


I agree that beginners should steer clear of resin. It's a lot harder to work with and it requires more preparation (protecting yourself from dust if sanding, properly washing the parts, using a different sort of primer, just general bigger kits).

As for the quality, "failcast" refers more to GW's old "Finecast" resin, which was a much softer more rubbery resin. It was certainly easier to work with than the metal it replaced, but wasn't comparable to ForgeWorld's resin.

That isn't to say ForgeWorld doesn't have issues. As with all resin, parts can be warped and mould lines can be worse. Granted these are fixable, but resin is much harder to work with. The newer ForgeWorld kits are a LOT better as they can now design using CAD, but it wouldn't surprise me if resin starts to fall by the way side for GW. Its two main advantages over plastic were quality of details and a lower cost to produce (especially for less popular models). New GW plastics are matching resin, and it seems they've also sorted out a lot of the cost aspect too given GW is only releasing new plastics, even for characters & upgrade kits.

User avatar
FoxZz
Shas
Posts: 43

Re: Starting an Army

Post#20 » Feb 10 2018 12:36

I take advantage of this thread to as the following question :

Where can you get cheaper accessories than Games Workshop's ones : pinces, brushes and the like ?

Thanks !

TautallyRadical
Shas
Posts: 8

Re: Starting an Army

Post#21 » Feb 10 2018 12:42

Okay, I have everything set to checkout on amazon; a paint kit, a hand drill, and the Start Collecting box. One final thing before I pull the trigger: what exact magnets should I get? I don't know what strength I need, and I don't know what size I need.

For the Crisis suits, should I get 1/32" by 1/16", 3/32" by 1/16", or 1/8" by 1/16" size magnets?

Thanks to everyone for all of the help, I can't wait to try out my new figures!

Also, FoxZz, I know that atleast Amazon has a lot cheaper prices than GW and my LGS. Hope this helps.

Edit: And a primer! I did not forget the primer. I'm going with a white primer, trying to model after the 2015 GW Tau color scheme.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 331

Re: Starting an Army

Post#22 » Feb 10 2018 04:38

TautallyRadical wrote:Okay, I have everything set to checkout on amazon; a paint kit, a hand drill, and the Start Collecting box. One final thing before I pull the trigger: what exact magnets should I get? I don't know what strength I need, and I don't know what size I need.

For the Crisis suits, should I get 1/32" by 1/16", 3/32" by 1/16", or 1/8" by 1/16" size magnets?

Thanks to everyone for all of the help, I can't wait to try out my new figures!

Also, FoxZz, I know that atleast Amazon has a lot cheaper prices than GW and my LGS. Hope this helps.

Edit: And a primer! I did not forget the primer. I'm going with a white primer, trying to model after the 2015 GW Tau color scheme.


You want 3mm x 1mm ideally (I believe the closes to that is 1/8” by 1/16”). They're the go to size for pretty much anything from troops up to riptide weapons.

Also as a slight warning, just remember that white is one of the harder colours to paint. Not too much harder, you just ideally want to go for a slightly off white colour (the good news is GW's Corax White primer is already a very pale grey rather than a pure white, more akin to their Ulthuan Grey layer paint). I'd search for videos online for the colour scheme (searching for “Vior'la Sept” should show them up, I believe GW has some) as they will help guide you.


FoxZz wrote:I take advantage of this thread to as the following question :

Where can you get cheaper accessories than Games Workshop's ones : pinces, brushes and the like ?

Thanks !


Your FLGS usually sells them cheaper. You can also try brands like Army Painter which have fairly good tools and brushes. I would most certainly not go cheaper than that though as the quality goes downhill REALLY fast. At the same time I would not go for a more expensive brush (eg GW's Artificer or a Winsor & Newton) until you are pretty experienced, especially around brush care (I've been painting for 6 years and only just upgraded).

User avatar
Temennigru
Shas'Saal
Posts: 359

Re: Starting an Army

Post#23 » Feb 11 2018 04:04

Nitrogue wrote:Fair point, my bad. I suppose a riptide seems just as far away for a beginner when you can spend the same amount on a box set as you can on a riptide/y'vahra.

They also have cheaper specialized units.
Most of them are not worth it in the current meta though.
Some of them don't even exist yet in the index (like the special XV8s)
The only one worth taking is the XV9 ($50) (currently better than the xv8s) and the special named commanders ($50) (they aren't good, but they have the coolest rules in our model range)
But again, resin is hard to put together, so beware.
And forgeworld also has a $250 minimum purchase to not have to pay the 15% shipping tax, which sucks.

Nitrogue
Shas
Posts: 88

Re: Starting an Army

Post#24 » Feb 11 2018 03:29

Temennigru wrote:And forgeworld also has a $250 minimum purchase to not have to pay the 15% shipping tax, which sucks.


Ouch, hadn't realised that!

User avatar
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 1035
Contact:

Re: Starting an Army

Post#25 » Feb 12 2018 10:00

It's 250 british pounds for free shipping from FW, not 250 american dollars. That amounts to about 400 USD.

Cheers!

User avatar
Impulse
Shas'Saal
Posts: 97

Re: Starting an Army

Post#26 » Feb 13 2018 01:22

Buy GW paints.

Their base->shade->layer system is great for beginners, and it will be easy to figure out what colors to get.

Also, invest in two HQ choices so you can take multiple detachments with the ultimate goal of a Battalion detachment. Definitely get a box of Pathfinders, and a few Stealth Suits. Otherwise, just get what looks cool to you and have fun!

User avatar
Temennigru
Shas'Saal
Posts: 359

Re: Starting an Army

Post#27 » Feb 13 2018 03:49

Impulse wrote:Buy GW paints.

Their base->shade->layer system is great for beginners, and it will be easy to figure out what colors to get.

Also, invest in two HQ choices so you can take multiple detachments with the ultimate goal of a Battalion detachment. Definitely get a box of Pathfinders, and a few Stealth Suits. Otherwise, just get what looks cool to you and have fun!

Like I said, you can always use the crisis suits from the start collecting as commanders :P
That's a supreme command detachment right there

shasocastris wrote:It's 250 british pounds for free shipping from FW, not 250 american dollars. That amounts to about 400 USD.

Cheers!

For some reason, I think the UK works in euro, which is just about the same price as the dollar.
Pound to dollar conversion hurts :sad:

TautallyRadical
Shas
Posts: 8

Re: Starting an Army

Post#28 » Feb 13 2018 08:45

Thanks for all of the help, everyone! Magnets, paint, and the start collecting box are on their way. I can't wait to get some games in! Happy gaming :D

Nitrogue
Shas
Posts: 88

Re: Starting an Army

Post#29 » Feb 14 2018 04:37

Good luck and have fun.

One last tip i have found is don't worry about experimenting. These small sets i feel are a bit more forgiving. say you damaged a gun whilst drilling for magnets, or messed up slightly on a paint coat. Its going to be one of 10, 15 or more of the same unit most likely, and on that number, you wont be looking at the detail of one model, but of the unit as a whole.

It would be more noticeable or a riptide or a stormsurge if something went amiss.

TL:DR have fun and practise and experiment with things.

User avatar
Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal
Posts: 312

Re: Starting an Army

Post#30 » Feb 14 2018 05:35

Welcome

TLDR: if your afraid of drilling though plastic don't worry I been there. I drilled right through end to end sometimes since I used a power drill. You can fix mistakes with "green stuff" if you mess up as bad as I occasionally do. You can also buy a hand drill for about ~$5 bucks on
Ebay for safe , precision drilling.
But if you don't want to wait forever for shipping, your hobby shop or local game storeshould have some in stock for 2-4x the price. I like going to hobby lobby for magnets. I say magnetising all suits is basically a must due to being extremely high value for a tau player, but I recommend not to magnetize the infantry. I had a bad experience doing infantry. Try to NOT glue your drones together as well. This gives you flexibility as you explore which drones you like

Start collecting box set is a good place to start. It gives you tau infantry. Imo, I don't like tau infantry since they die easy and don't do much damage to big threats.
Battleforged box set is expensive but has significantly more useful models. All the models are battlesuits, and are great.

I like to buy models of ebay/craigslist. It saves money by buying seconds hand. I save 10℅-50℅ of going this route. When possible I try to buy the second hand models on sprue so I don't have to strip the paint and have the flexibility to pose the figure the way I want to (aka something cool and dynamic). Another thing about ebay, it's a great place to buy extra bits. I made my 3rd commander from extra bits I had lying around, using eBay to get the missing essentials for only $20. That's a retail $50 model.

You can get cheap paints at hobby lobby. I personally use citadel, only to make painting my army a unified color easy over a long period of time. It's easy for me to look for a color like Zemesi Desert, than to try to hunt down its generic equivalent.

For a starter army for Tau at 500 points pre-codex try to obtain:
1 commander
1 set of crisis suits
1 set of firewarriors
1 set of pathfinders

Those are solid starting units.
I like plain old pathfinders, but ion pathfinders are a great choice for a beginner that give you extra fire power to injure heavy armor threats. I controversially recommend breachers for Firewarriors over pulse rifles. The potential for ap damage significantly effects for much damage gets through and how many infantry you kill. Pulse rifles can take pot-shots from a far range but it won't typically be game breaking, but if you do go pulse rifles there is nothing wrong with that either :)

TautallyRadical
Shas
Posts: 8

Re: Starting an Army

Post#31 » Feb 15 2018 10:27

Thanks for the tips, Lostroninsoul! I wonder if commanders will still be powerful after the new codex, maybe I'll wait on that unit. Also, I thought I'd look for deals on ebay but most people charge even more for models because they already painted them and built them (both of which I would like to do myself). I probably will be going with pulse rifles, but I definetly won't glue the drones. Thanks again! :)

User avatar
Impulse
Shas'Saal
Posts: 97

Re: Starting an Army

Post#32 » Feb 15 2018 04:07

Get what looks cool and don't worry about what's "good". That's an arbitrary metric.

For what it's worth, you can always find a kit at 15% off and free shipping on ebay.

I've had a lot of fun with the commander kit I bought. I built it as a Coldstar and painted it like Minerva from Masterforce.

User avatar
Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal
Posts: 312

Re: Starting an Army

Post#33 » Feb 16 2018 06:28

TautallyRadical wrote:Thanks for the tips, Lostroninsoul! I wonder if commanders will still be powerful after the new codex, maybe I'll wait on that unit. Also, I thought I'd look for deals on ebay but most people charge even more for models because they already painted them and built them (both of which I would like to do myself). I probably will be going with pulse rifles, but I definetly won't glue the drones. Thanks again! :)

As impulse said below. You can find unassembled modeled for discount. I got my first stormsurge 100-120 bucks on sprue, and it retails for 150. I also recieved other units at massive discounts.

User avatar
Temennigru
Shas'Saal
Posts: 359

Re: Starting an Army

Post#34 » Feb 16 2018 02:31

Impulse wrote:Get what looks cool and don't worry about what's "good". That's an arbitrary metric.

For what it's worth, you can always find a kit at 15% off and free shipping on ebay.

I've had a lot of fun with the commander kit I bought. I built it as a Coldstar and painted it like Minerva from Masterforce.

It's not exactly arbitrary.
If you play with bad stuff you will get angry at the game.
It's good to know which units will underperform so you don't get angry when you buy them and they do nothing.

Lostroninsoul wrote:
TautallyRadical wrote:Thanks for the tips, Lostroninsoul! I wonder if commanders will still be powerful after the new codex, maybe I'll wait on that unit. Also, I thought I'd look for deals on ebay but most people charge even more for models because they already painted them and built them (both of which I would like to do myself). I probably will be going with pulse rifles, but I definetly won't glue the drones. Thanks again! :)

As impulse said below. You can find unassembled modeled for discount. I got my first stormsurge 100-120 bucks on sprue, and it retails for 150. I also recieved other units at massive discounts.


You can also find fully built armies at a huge discount.
I once saw an army with 2 wraithguard kits, 1 wraithlord, 1 wraithknight and 1 wraithseer going for 150 bucks on ebay.

User avatar
Impulse
Shas'Saal
Posts: 97

Re: Starting an Army

Post#35 » Feb 16 2018 05:11

Only terrible people get mad like that. Maybe check yourself.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3123

Re: Starting an Army

Post#36 » Feb 16 2018 09:31

Understanding what unit can do, and what they can't, is a really important part of the game though. And it's easy to misunderstand- many people, for example, assume that a single Lascannon is sufficient to kill a single Space Marine, when in reality the chance is only 33%.

That said though, not everything comes in clean categories like "good" and "bad". In an unbalanced ruleset like the Tau Index it's obvious that Commanders and Gun Drones are "good", but in a more balanced ruleset, it can be much more difficult to categorize units.

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Osocruel, Sau'Fion and 13 guests