Revisiting XV8 Naming Conventions

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Revisiting XV8 Naming Conventions

Post#1 » Feb 11 2018 12:27

So a few years back some members and I made a guide to XV8 Naming Conventions. It can be found here

To put it bluntly, this guide is dated. Weapons no longer twinlink, old experimental weapons can be taken normally and we can now fire all weapons. A lot has changed and I'd love to revisit the guide, especially since the new codex will be coming out soon. My main idea is that names will revolve around the list below:

Cyclic Ion Blaster: Ion / X
Airbursting Fragmentation Projector: Hail / Y
Flamer: Soul / Heatwave
Missile Pod: Fire / Deathrain
Burst Cannon: Storm / Cloudburst
Fusion Blaster: Forge / Sunforge
Plasma Rifle: Knife / Burning Eye

When you pick up a weapon for you suit, you add the corresponding morpheme to its name and place these words in the order that they appear on the list. For example, a suit with a Missile Pod and Plasma Rifle would be a 'Fireknife' because the 'Fire' is above 'Knife'. If you add a Fusion Blaster as a third weapon, the name would be 'Fireforgeknife' because 'Forge' is below 'Fire' but above 'Knife'.

Adding multiples of the same weapon type would work like this; you add numbers after the name denoting how many of each weapon type you took, in order of the morphemes. Adding another Plasma Rifle to a Fireknife would then make the name 'Fireknife-12'. Adding a Fusion Blaster after that would then result in 'Fireforgeknife-112'. You end up with some wacky names, but it's simple.

In the event that you only take one weapon type, you use the weapon's second name (Heatwave, Deathrain, etc.). Like before, add a number on the end denoting how many of that weapon type you took. For example, an XV8 with three Flamers would be a 'Heatwave-3'. Alternatively, you can add the suffix '-suit' onto the weapon's first word, so the aforementioned XV8 would be a 'Soulsuit-3'. This would mean fewer words to remember at the expense of the classic names found in the old codices.

I think this system would be much, much simpler (and up-to-date)! Let me know what you guys think. If we do want to revisit the names, then I'd love to write up whatever we decide. On a final note, CIB and AFP never had second names as they were experimental. Perhaps that's something for the forum to come up with?

Cheers!

Jhi'Myr
Shas'Saal

Re: Revisiting XV8 Naming Conventions

Post#2 » Feb 11 2018 07:43

I like the gumption you've got. I have been putting thought to an overhaul like this, myself. But three word names Just don't run off the tongue like the dualies. Still, I haven't come up with a better way to do this, myself, so it's not like I can really complain I suppose.

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 11 2018 08:53

Does anyone bring 3 different weapons?

For an xv8 we could simplify it to the weapon name that's taken twice is listed first with a new name for the most common support systems ( ATS is piercer, shield is guard and drone controller is guide maybe ) so you'd get a soul forge piercer as example has fusion, flamer ATS while a forge soul would have 2 fusion and one flamer.

Commanders would be the same, if only two weapon names are listed then there is two of each. Two weapon names and a support name then it's two of the first, one of the second and the support. The same soul forge piercer is two flamers, a fusion and an ATS.

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Feb 11 2018 09:37

Jhi'Myr wrote:I like the gumption you've got. I have been putting thought to an overhaul like this, myself. But three word names Just don't run off the tongue like the dualies.

Thanks! And yeah, the cluttered names are annoying. Technically you could get a true mouthful like 'Soulfireforgeknife' on Commanders. What I'm banking on is that three/four different weapon loadouts are so rare that it'll almost never be a problem. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to fix it without making the rest of the system too complex.

Draco023 wrote:Does anyone bring 3 different weapons?

Exactly what I was thinking. I've only seen it happen once since 4th edition.

Draco023 wrote:For an xv8 we could simplify it to the weapon name that's taken twice is listed first with a new name for the most common support systems ( ATS is piercer, shield is guard and drone controller is guide maybe ) so you'd get a soul forge piercer as example has fusion, flamer ATS while a forge soul would have 2 fusion and one flamer.

Commanders would be the same, if only two weapon names are listed then there is two of each. Two weapon names and a support name then it's two of the first, one of the second and the support. The same soul forge piercer is two flamers, a fusion and an ATS.

Cheers for the feedback. I wouldn't mind exploring support systems, though historically they've been left out of XV8 names for whatever reason. They'd be great if we want names that fully explain what an XV8 has on it, but they may make the name too complex and they've never been as important as the actual weapons anyway. I'd leave that to popular opinion.

As for the changing which words appear first, I'd personally prefer to keep the strict list order and numbers. To me, something like 'Firestorm' would then not tell us how many Missile Pods there are. I feel like the previous way would be clearer, even if we do have to muck around with numbers. Again though, whatever the community finds best.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 12 2018 04:32

Alternative for the multiple of the same weapons could just be a new "upgraded" name.
I.E. 1 burst cannon is storm, 2 burst cannons is tornado. 1 misslepod is fire, 2 is inferno. (i think flamers might work better with that last one).

Not sure how you would do 3 or 4 weapons (looking at you quad fusion blaster commander)

Also guessing you might be basing these names off names from previous codices, so new names might not fit.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Feb 12 2018 04:40

The old system did'nt survive 6th edition and new codex with new player jumping on Tau wagon, IIRC.

The old system has fluff reasons only old timer recalls, but has its merits.
I am more keen to reforge a new system that expand the previous rather than adapting it (at the price of pushing aside some inconsistencies rather than forcing them into the new system).

I would go this way:

Weapon: Primary keyword / Secondary keyword
  • Cyclic Ion Blaster: Ion / charge
  • Airbursting Fragmentation Projector: Hail / bomb
  • Flamer: Soul / wave
  • Missile Pod: Fire / rain
  • Burst Cannon: Storm / burst
  • Fusion Blaster: Sun / forge
  • Plasma Rifle: Knife / lance
I still had a doubt to keep "Soul" instead of "Fire" for flamer (would replace "Fire" by "Death" for MP) and "Ion" for CIB (too less impressive, probably use something like "Blaze", ... ideas welcome)

Suits name: (Aa1 is primary key word for first weapon , Zz3 is secondary key word for third weapon, ...)
One weapon:
  • Aa1suit for one weapon (Soulsuit, Sunsuit, )
Two weapons:
  • Aa1Zz2 for two different weapons (Soulforge, Stormburst, Sunwave)
  • Twin-Aa1 for two same weapons (Twin-Soul, Twin-Storm), could be shortened (D-Soul, 2-Storm, ...)
Three weapons:
  • Aa1Zz2ed Aa3 for 3 different weapons (Soulbursted Sun)
  • Twin-Aa1 Aa2 for two weapon 1 and one weapon 2 (Twin-Fire Knife, Twin-Hail Storm), could be shortened too (D-Fire Knife, 2-Hail Storm, ...)
  • Tri-Aa1Zz2 for 3 same weapons (Tri-Hail, Tri-Storm), could be shortened too(T-Hail, 3-Storm, ...)
Four weapons:
  • Aa1Zz2ed Aa3Zz4 for 4 different weapons (Firelanced Soulburst)
  • Twin-Aa1 Aa2Zz3 for two same weapons and two different others (Twin-Storm Firelance), could be shortened (D-Storm Firelance)
  • Pack-Aa1Zz2 for 2 sets of 2 different weapons (Pack-Stormbomb, Pack-Sunlance), could be shortened (P-Stormbomb, 22-Sunlance).
  • Tri-Aa1Zz2 for 3 same weapon 1 and one weapon 2 (Tri-Ionforge, Tri-Knifewave), could be shortened (T-Ionforge, 3-Knifewave)
  • Quad-Aa1 for 4 same weapons (Quad-Ion, Quad-Knife), could be shortened (Q-Ion, 4-Knife)

Note
  • Other names (Deathrain, Burning Eye, ...) could still be kept as pilot nicknames but not "official" names.
  • keywords order isn't important, unless they use prefix (Twin-, Tri-, Pack-, Quad-). So Soulrain (flamer+MP) is the same than Firewave (MP+flamer). The choice is to the namer: usually the weapon favored would be the first, that's why Twin-Fire Soul shows the MP favored over the flamer.
  • Shortening is a little problematic, but I didn't found suitable alternatives: Twin- is shortened in D- (D for "double") to avoid confusion with Tri-
  • Support systems could have their keywords too
  • Pack- could be replaced by Twin- but it can confuse a little: Pack-Sunburst (2 FB+2 BC) could be Twin-Sunburst
  • Using the primary and secondary keywords for the same weapon could be legal too: Twin-Sun is the same than Sunforge, Twin-Fireburst is the same than Firerain Storm / Stormrain Fire / Firestorm Rain.
  • Same for Twin-Hail Twin-Storm instead of Pack-Hailburst or Twin-Hailburst. Or with 4 identical weapons: Twin-Sunforge instead of Quad-Sun

Examples
(Old v6-7 name -> new names in my system, no twinlinking anymore)
  • Helios: Plasma Rifle + Fusion Blaster
    -> Sunlance / Knifeforge
  • Thunderstorm-5: Airbusting Fragmentation Projection + Twin-linked Burst Cannon
    -> Twin-Storm Hail
  • Soulknife-D6: Two Plasma Rifles + Flamer.
    -> Twin-Knife Soul / Knifelanced Soul / Soulanced Knife
  • Soulsuit: Flamer
    -> Soulsuit
  • Burning-Eye-6: Twin-linked Plasma Rifle.
    -> Twin-Knife / Knifelance
  • Deathrain-D: Two Missile Pods.
    -> Twin-Fire / Firerain
  • Sunforge-D8: Fusion Blaster + Twin-linked Fusion Blaster.
    -> Tri-Sun or ("Sunforged Sun", but a litte too much)
  • Fireforge-78: Twin-linked Missile Pods + Twin-linked Fusion Blasters.
  • Fireforge-D78: Two Missile Pods + Two Fusion Blasters.
  • Fireforge-8D7: Two Missile Pods + Twin-linked Fusion Blaster.
    -> Pack-Sunrain / Pack-Fireforge / Twin-Sunrain / Twin-Fireforge / Soulforged Firerain / Firerained Soulforge (as "Fireforged Fireforge" is pretty silly)
  • Cloudburst-X: Two Twin-linked Burst Cannons.
    -> Quad-Storm / Twin-Stormburst (or "Stormbursted Stormburst" for the lulz)
(recently seen on tables)
  • Quad-Ion / Twin-Ioncharge (or "Ioncharged Ioncharge"): Commander with 4x CIB
  • Quad-Sun / Twin-Sunforge (or "Sunforged Sunforge"): Commander with 4xFB
  • Tri-Ion (or "Ioncharged Ion"): Crisis with 3xCIB
  • Tri-Soul (or "Soulwaved Soul"): Crisis with 3xflamer

EDIT: added a way to legalize "Sunforge", fixed 2+1 weapon, added examples

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 12 2018 06:10

What about as been suggested a name for one or 2 of each weapon and if using 3 of a weapon put San infront of its first name, to me T'au have always seemed quite Japanese mech themed and San is 3 in Japanese so I trip missile pod suit would be Sanfire suit and Yon for 4 so QFC would be a Yonsun Commander?

It's fairly simple and I think sounds pretty cool so if I was writing a list maybe

Vanguard detachment
Yonsun Commander

3 Sansoul crisis
3 Sanion crisis
3 firerain ATS crisis?

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Feb 13 2018 01:11

Nitrogue wrote:Alternative for the multiple of the same weapons could just be a new "upgraded" name.
I.E. 1 burst cannon is storm, 2 burst cannons is tornado. 1 misslepod is fire, 2 is inferno. (i think flamers might work better with that last one).

Not sure how you would do 3 or 4 weapons (looking at you quad fusion blaster commander)

Yeah, there lies the rub. New words for 3 or 4 weapons would make it even more complex and wouldn't communicate what the XV8 has very well. People just wouldn't bother. That's why I'm leaning towards names like 'Soulsuit-2', even though 'Heatwave' has a canon precedent (4th Ed codex, I think?). It's just less for people to remember and so a higher chance that it would actually be used.

Kael'yn wrote:I would go this way:

Damn, that's a lot of effort. I like it, but I'm struggling to see why you would need the second word for weapons. It seems redundant and, again, adding more for people to remember. Apart from that, my chief worry is that it's too complex. I'd prefer something accessible so more players would use it. Perhaps a forum-wide vote would be best so everyone can decide which system they prefer?

Nymphomanius wrote:What about as been suggested a name for one or 2 of each weapon and if using 3 of a weapon put San infront of its first name, to me T'au have always seemed quite Japanese mech themed and San is 3 in Japanese so I trip missile pod suit would be Sanfire suit and Yon for 4 so QFC would be a Yonsun Commander?

It's an interesting line of thought, but perhaps that would be added complexity for everyone? Especially those unfamiliar with Japanese. Besides, although certainly inspired by mecha, Tau have grown far beyond that. Not to mention in fluff there's no reason for them to use an ancient human language (I know we're discussing names in English, but theoretically they would be translated, like 'Fireknife' would be 'Shas'myr').

I feel like I'm shooting down a lot of good ideas but I came back to this project with the hope of making the Naming Conventions not only up to date but also much simpler and more accessible. In the past I've barely seen anyone use the names, let alone outside the forum. I think a simpler system, one that focused on a small list of words, would do a lot to remedy that. However, if people honestly preferred the more complex system and believe that it would still see use then I will steer the conversation in that direction.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Feb 13 2018 02:04

Never mind, I just saw that Harlequin 2 did both an earlier discussion thread and an article on this topic. My bad.

Please carry on.

TauMan

EDIT: Removed previous post where I "opened mouth and inserted hoof". If you didn't see it, then I'm good. :neutral:
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Feb 13 2018 09:11

I saw nothing :D

Regardless, I'd love all feedback and constructive criticism on the topic.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#11 » Feb 13 2018 10:00

As I'm a Classichammer retrogamer, the old system of conventions still works just fine for me. :biggrin:

However, if you are looking to revise it for use in 8th edition, I would suggest that at present you might perhaps be overthinking it. The original Crisis Team names from GW - Deathrain, Sunforge, Burning Eye, Brightwind, Darkfall, Fireknife, Blinding Spear and Soul Clense - were not descriptors of the given Crisis Suits' weapon configurations, but instead were poetic descriptors of their impact on the battlefield, whether that be a direct metaphor for their weapon effects as in the case of the Vior'la configurations (Deathrain, Sunforge and Burning Eye), their mission role as in the case of the T'au configurations (Fireknife, Blinding Spear and Soul Cleanse) or some combination of the two as in the case of the Tau'n configurations (Brightwind and Darkfall).

Thus, instead of trying to create a comprehensive lexicon for every possible weapon and wargear option, it may perhaps be more elegant to approach it from the other end and instead think about what kind of job you want the Crisis Team (or commander) to perform on the tabletop, then consider what equipment it has, and give a descriptor to the sum of those two factors.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Feb 13 2018 11:07

Kakapo42 wrote:Thus, instead of trying to create a comprehensive lexicon for every possible weapon and wargear option, it may perhaps be more elegant to approach it from the other end and instead think about what kind of job you want the Crisis Team (or commander) to perform on the tabletop, then consider what equipment it has, and give a descriptor to the sum of those two factors.

I agree here. There's also the issue of using terminology that "sticks" though- "Fireknife" caught on in the past because everyone used that configuration. It might be best to figure out the popular and viable configurations first, and then apply new terms to them?

The Fusion Commander is a good example of the issue with naming. People say Fusion Commander or QFC because those terms are short and memorable. We could go back to saying something like "Sunforge Commander" but any more complex than that and people might not actually use the new term.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#13 » Feb 13 2018 11:24

Arka0415 wrote:I agree here. There's also the issue of using terminology that "sticks" though- "Fireknife" caught on in the past because everyone used that configuration. It might be best to figure out the popular and viable configurations first, and then apply new terms to them?

The Fusion Commander is a good example of the issue with naming. People say Fusion Commander or QFC because those terms are short and memorable. We could go back to saying something like "Sunforge Commander" but any more complex than that and people might not actually use the new term.

Focusing on the more popular loadouts seems like a good idea to me. Indeed, that's exactly what we did in the past, with GW getting the ball rolling on configurations that one can presume must have been popular with the GW staff either in their own games (something that GW staff did on a fairly frequent basis in those days) or during the initial playtesting that went into the original Tau rules (again, this was at a time when GW playtesting was both carried out and very transparent, with virtually every codex being released with a comprehensive designer's notes article explaining the thought processes and play-testing solutions that went into it), and then community members - especially on ATT and its ancestor MTT - following suite and giving similar names to their own favourite or proposed loadouts (from what I can tell this is where the Heatwave and Firestorm names originated from).

Continuing with the Fusion Commander as an example, the process would basically come down to 'what does a Fusion Commander do in battle?' The answer, as I understand it at least, is attack large targets with multiple fusion blasters. This then opens up two options for naming it with a poetic descriptor - either in the effect of its weapons, producing something like 'Starforge' (as a play on the Sunforge configuration) or 'Sunhammer' (reflecting the more concentrated singular application of one Commander rather than three Crisis Suits) or similar, or in the nature of its mission, giving something like 'Dragonslayer' (reflecting it hunting large dangerous targets) or 'Beast Hunter' (see previous) or some other monster fighting name.

Regardless, I think the key is to make it catchy - after all, a lot of the original names had exactly that strength (notice how Fireknife just sort of rolls off the tongue, or how Blinding Spear sounds so awesome its appealing to use regardless of its relative phonetic complexity).
Naked Metal

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#14 » Feb 14 2018 10:47

Harlequin2 wrote:
Kael'yn wrote:I would go this way:

Damn, that's a lot of effort. I like it, but I'm struggling to see why you would need the second word for weapons. It seems redundant and, again, adding more for people to remember. Apart from that, my chief worry is that it's too complex. I'd prefer something accessible so more players would use it. Perhaps a forum-wide vote would be best so everyone can decide which system they prefer?

2nd word was to reuse and return to the previous work on names (and also allowing more variety in names). The system I proposed could be easily applied to only one keyword per weapon.
Any system that have to deal with a lot of situations can be complex: here we have 7 weapon types that can be mixed 1,2,3 or 4 times.
I am not proposing something that is adamant in my mind, just pushing ideas, with a system that deals only with words, as the original names were, not adding numbers and letters that can can confuse.

I am, in my mind, more in line with Kakapo42 about the situationnal names given to each loadout. The naming convention you and others built was a way to explain and expand in a logic way, that's the goal of my post too.
But until GW gives us a new "Word Of God" about battlesuit config names and people using them, we will stick to the unpoetic "QFC" shortname and the likes.
Maybe creating a lexicon for the most common loadout with codenames is the better way, if that kind lexicon is limited to a dozen, at most, names (that was the first point in my after post notes: keeping/adding names could also be done without any name system).

Based from originals, we can name these "common" loadout:
(from Lexicanum)
Death Rain: long range anti-armor (missiles) backed by Gun/Marker drones
Sun Forge: close range anti-armor loadout (fusion) backed by Shield (generator or drones)
Burning Eye: close range anti-elite loadout (plasma/ion)
Brightwind: mixed loadout against infantry, elite, armor ("take all comers" unit)
Darkfall: long range anti-armor loadout (missiles) backed by flamers against assault
Fireknife: medium range anti-elite loadout (plasma/missiles) backed by Gun/Marker drones
Blinding Spear: medium range anti-infantry multi shots loadout (ion/burst) backed by Gun/marker drones
Soul Cleanse: close range anti-infantry/armor with fusion backed by flamers

On a side note:
Using names for our suits also has the property to establish a community language that exclude people outside of Tau (or new to them) to understand our words. It is a good thing or not, depending of each one view, but in my experience, it can be frustrating at first to read Tau batrep and tactics and taking time to understand what was a "Burning Eye Team", but when mastered, you have the feeling to be part of the community.

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Feb 14 2018 04:58

So, if I've got this right, you guys would prefer a simple, but more canon-orientated naming system? Basically a parallel to the Living Tau Xenolexicon but with a list of all the canon XV8 names of the past with their loadouts? Then maybe tips on how you could make your own customised name based on canon trends? That could be an incredibly valuable resource for the website and Tau players as a whole, especially since a lot of that information is hard to find. I don't think Lexicanum even has most of it and I myself don't have the 3rd Edition Codex, the Forgeworld books or the Warzone books, so getting help from members that do might be necessary.

If this is the line of thinking then I'm definitely game.

Kael'yn wrote:On a side note:
Using names for our suits also has the property to establish a community language that exclude people outside of Tau (or new to them) to understand our words. It is a good thing or not, depending of each one view, but in my experience, it can be frustrating at first to read Tau batrep and tactics and taking time to understand what was a "Burning Eye Team", but when mastered, you have the feeling to be part of the community.

I'm of the opinion that whilst accessibility is essential, there is still value to having our "slang". It's fun, can bring the community together and, if we're going down a strict canon route, respectful to the history of the faction. A very important point to raise though.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#16 » Feb 14 2018 08:33

Harlequin2 wrote:So, if I've got this right, you guys would prefer a simple, but more canon-orientated naming system? Basically a parallel to the Living Tau Xenolexicon but with a list of all the canon XV8 names of the past with their loadouts? Then maybe tips on how you could make your own customised name based on canon trends? That could be an incredibly valuable resource for the website and Tau players as a whole, especially since a lot of that information is hard to find. I don't think Lexicanum even has most of it and I myself don't have the 3rd Edition Codex, the Forgeworld books or the Warzone books, so getting help from members that do might be necessary.

If this is the line of thinking then I'm definitely game.

You should probably track down a copy of the 3rd edition Codex if possible, since it's a fantastic resource and I feel it should be a key feature of every Tau enthusiast's bookshelf. However, the conventions for Crisis suit names comes from an article first published in White Dwarf issue 263 (US), or the White Dwarf issue for December 2001 (the third of the three White Dwarf issues that covered the original Tau release). It was later posted on the GW website, but when it was lost in the changeover to the later format of GW website ATT reposted it along with the other Tau background articles that had been on the old GW website. Thus, you can find the article in question here in the Library subforum.

I outlined a lot of the general system in my previous post, but the nuts and bolts of it are as follows. The article looks at the Crisis suit doctrines of four major Septs - Vior'la, Sa'cea, Tau'n, and T'au. Each one has a different approach to Crisis team tactics, and each one has a slightly different system for naming Crisis suit loadouts.

Vior'la Crisis teams favour homogenous weapon choices, reasoning (as many of the more competitive Tau players do) that there is one optimal weapon for any given battlefield role, and thus by equipping as many of that weapon as possible they maximise the team's efficiency in that role. Vior'la Crisis loadout names reflect the effect these optimal weapons have in battle:

- The Death Rain configuration rains death on the enemy from long range with missiles, hence the name Death Rain.

- The Sun Forge configuration uses multiple fusion blasters. The combined fire of these fusion blasters results in the target being consumed with nuclear fire, not entirely unlike the fusion reactions that forge suns, hence the name Sun Forge.

- The Burning Eye configuration features multiple plasma rifles. The effect of their combined fire - especially in the dark - could end up looking like a baleful glowing eye, hence the name Burning Eye.

T'au Crisis teams tend to use loadouts of mixed but complementary weapons, linked together with multi-tracker for maximum firepower. Instead of weapon effects, T'au Crisis loadout names tend to reflect the nature of their battlefield mission:

- The Fireknife is the configuration of choice when fighting Space Marines (and presumably similar enemies). It is intended to cut through armoured heavy infantry formations like a burning hot knife, hence the name Fireknife.

- The Blinding Spear configuration was most famously used in battle against Tyranid splinter fleets from Hive Fleet Kraken, where the battlesuits were used to hunt down and destroy Tyranid synapse creatures. When used in this manner the configuration is intended to knock out the enemy's command/control and situational awareness capabilities, a bit like using a spear to poke out an enemy's eyes and blind them, hence the name Blinding Spear.

- The Soul Cleanse configuration is intended for pilots with confirmed battlesuit neurosis. It is meant to allow them to make significant contributions to the rest of their cadre in battle, up to and including sacrificing themselves for the Greater Good, and thus cleanse their psyche or soul in the eyes of their peers, hence the name Soul Cleanse.

Tau'n Crisis teams tend to combine the Vior'la approach with that of Sa'cea outlined below, preferring standardised loadouts of mixed weapons for greater flexibility. Like T'au, their configuration names tend to reflect their mission role most of the time, but can also act as a metaphor for weapon effects:

- The Brightwind configuration is a generalised multipurpose loadout able to combat any kind of enemy. It can be considered to sweep the battlefield clear like a bright wind. Alternatively, the preponderance of energy weapons like fusion blasters, plasma rifles and burst cannons could be considered a bright wind that blows away the enemy. Either interpretation leads to the name Brightwind.

- The Darkfall configuration is optimised for night fighting. Since it's meant for nighttime attacks, when darkness falls, it gains the name Darkfall. Alternatively, when deep-striking into a nighttime battle or powering into an attack at night, it could be seen as falling into the dark. Either interpretation leads to the name Darkfall.

Finally, Sa'cea Crisis teams as already mentioned favour mixed loadouts with a wide variety of weapons, on the logic that that way no matter what happens on the battlefield there will always be at least one team member with the right equipment for the situation. Sa'cea tends to take this philosophy a step further however, with pilots being encouraged to select equipment based on personal preferences rather than centralised doctrine. Combined with the lower number of Crisis teams fielded by the Sa'cea Fire Caste, this means that Sa'cea has no established system of configuration names. Instead Sa'cea Crisis teams are simply named after the battle they were used in and the team that used them in that battle.

When creating custom names it is therefore important to consider what Sept they might have come from, and what you want them to do in battle. Going by this, let's look at an example of one of the more popular 8th edition configurations - cyclic ion blaster Crisis teams.

A Crisis team loaded entirely with cyclic ion blasters matches the description of Vior'la doctrine, so the Vior'la method of naming loadouts after weapon effects could be a good place to start. According to real-life reasearch, particle beam weapons like the ion cannon and cyclic ion blaster would likely produce a lightning-like discharge when fired, so drawing on the imagery of thunder and lightning makes sense. This gives two examples of possible names:

- Thunder Storm

- Lightning Arrow

Alternatively, if you wish to use the pattern of mission role names (perhaps you have decided the configuration was instead created by another Sept that coincidentally also favoured homogenous weapon fits), then look to the cyclic ion blaster team's role as a general-purpose troubleshooter able to attack a wide range of targets with reasonable chance for success. Examples of names for this kind of all-rounder configuration could include:

- Broadsword

- Arrow Rain

These are all only suggestions, but ideally they will highlight the general principles at work.
Naked Metal

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Feb 15 2018 10:43

You guys don't make this easy do you? :-(

Shas’sha: Sun Forge
Suam’one: Burning Eye
Ol’sha: Brightwind
Da’shon: Darkfall lit. ‘Dark Night’ a night without moonlight or stars i.e. total darkness
Shas’myr: Fireknife
Sokura’jida: Blinding Spear
Ta’tokun: Soul Cleanse (by blood)

For Death Rain I have two, either would work
Kost’ha: Death Rain lit. Death Reaper Rain
Ghoro’ha: Death Rain

Other words I've already made up that could be used.
Ayanga’is: Lightening (and thunder) storm
Sha’is: Wind Storm or squall
Shu’is: Rain Storm
Qazdan’is: Lighting storm (no rain) a poetic description lit. ‘a dragon storm’
Uul’na: Cloud Burst lit. Cloud strike {archaic spelling}

Gumburburok: Thunder (by itself)
Or'gorxa’uul: Thunderhead or Cumulonimbus cloud. Meaning: "Cloud castle [of the Sky Dragon]"
Shash'xa: Flame Sabre – a single edged sabre/scimitar of T’au nomads
Shas’onai: Star light
Sum’ayan: Lightning Arrow
Sum’saro: Burning “sparking” Arrow (tracer round)

Ghoro'k'ha: Death Hail (Ork tactic) [Canonical word]
Orui't'seri: Twilight / Sunset
Shas’toza: Sun Furnace
Shas’t’xurra: Forged of the Sun
Shoniiye: Night time / Evening
Ta’tseve: Soul Purify
Ta’ugaa: Soul Scour
Xaranyi: Night shadow / Night time

Wouldn't use the word "broadsword" as it doesn't really fit into the standard Tau'sia words for weapons. What's a broadsword, that's not already covered by a word like "nan" - blade? A specific type of blade for a specific purpose would have a name of course.

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Feb 15 2018 01:30

Kakapo42 wrote:Thus, you can find the article in question here in the Library subforum.

Excellent resource. Okay, I'll cook up a draft article either tomorrow or over the weekend and you guys can tell me if I'm on the right track.

TauMan wrote:You guys don't make this easy do you? :-(

Hehe, it does feel a little Herculean! Great idea though! The list should have Tau translations, though if we're taking a strict canon route we should probably steer clear of approximated words and the like.

Return to “General Discussion”