Ideas for Sept Traits

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 54

Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#1 » Feb 13 2018 03:11

I was doing some reading into the different T'au septs today and was brainstorming what the different sept traits could be. Granted, it doesn't quite matter since what's in the codex will be different than whatever we come up with, but something like this is fun instead of the doom and gloom in the Upcoming Tau Codex thread.

Without further ado, here are my ideas!

T'au Sept: Probably something to do with morale, probably like all INFANTRY and BATTLESUIT units may reroll morale checks and receive a -1 modifier on morale rolls or something of the like. Hmm, actually probably not the -1 as that would negate Bonding Knife. I dunno.

Sa'cea Sept: Masters of Cover Warfare - All non-battlesuit INFANTRY units add an additional +1 to armor saves when in cover. In addition, BATTLESUIT units gain the benefits of cover as if they were INFANTRY.

So my thinking here is that since Sa'cea is a sept built around urban warfare they'd get big benefits to their usage of cover due to experience, and I thought it was more fun to do something like this rather than negating enemy cover or a blanket -1 to hit. Also I worded the first section the way I did so that Stealth Suits wouldnt auto succeed armor saves while in cover against AP-0 weapons.

Vi'orla Sept: Supreme Aggressors: INFANTRY and BATTLESUIT units may reroll dice when advancing/add a bonus to their advance rolls. Additionally, INFANTRY units may fire Rapid Fire weapons at a -1 penalty when Advancing.

So my thinking here is that Vi'orla warriors are known hot bloodedness and want to get into the fight. Probably not the greatest benefits for T'au, but fluffy! Also I know the rapid fire thing is currently in the markerlight table, but I have a hunch it'll get changed around quite significantly.

Bor'khan Sept: Earth Caste Engineering: DRONE and VEHICLE units gain a 6+ FNP roll.

Bor'khan is known for its large Earthe Caste population and for its practicality. What's more practical than highly durable machines!

Those are the ones that I could think of. I'm sure that the FSE will be included, but I couldn't think of anything for them. I doubht they'll get a melee boost ability, as that's very non tau. Perhaps some sort of Overwatch boost or bonus to shooting within say 12"? I dunno. What do you all think?

User avatar
Temennigru
Shas'Saal
Posts: 359

Re: Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#2 » Feb 13 2018 04:29

I would put FSE trait being:
FSE units can fire into melee

PJetski
Shas'Saal
Posts: 26

Re: Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#3 » Feb 13 2018 04:50

Without knowing any of the stratagems or changes in the upcoming codex, I think these are some cool and fun (and maybe imbalanced :P) abilities that would promote building your list around them:
  • Ritual Bonding Knife activates on a roll of 2+ instead of a 6 if the unit is within 9” of an ETHEREAL, and Ethereals that use the Invocation of Earth can use one additional invocation that turn.
  • Seeker Missiles do 2 mortal wounds instead of 1. Destroyer Missiles do D6 mortal wounds instead of D3.
  • Enemies have -1 to hit in the shooting phase if they target a unit within 6” of any Stealth Suit or Ghostkeel. (This ability does not affect Stealth Suits or Ghostkeels)
  • Markerlights are now Rapid Fire 1 and can be fired in addition to other equipped weapons. You can reroll wound rolls of 1 when shooting at an enemy with 3 or more Markerlights.
  • Shield Drone Saviour Protocols can be used on VEHICLES.
  • Increase the Strength and AP of all weapons (melee and shooting) by 1 if you are within 8” of your target.

User avatar
Temennigru
Shas'Saal
Posts: 359

Re: Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#4 » Feb 13 2018 05:12

PJetski wrote:Without knowing any of the stratagems or changes in the upcoming codex, I think these are some cool and fun (and maybe imbalanced :P) abilities that would promote building your list around them:
  • Ritual Bonding Knife activates on a roll of 2+ instead of a 6 if the unit is within 9” of an ETHEREAL, and Ethereals that use the Invocation of Earth can use one additional invocation that turn.
  • Seeker Missiles do 2 mortal wounds instead of 1. Destroyer Missiles do D6 mortal wounds instead of D3.
  • Enemies have -1 to hit in the shooting phase if they target a unit within 6” of any Stealth Suit or Ghostkeel. (This ability does not affect Stealth Suits or Ghostkeels)
  • Markerlights are now Rapid Fire 1 and can be fired in addition to other equipped weapons. You can reroll wound rolls of 1 when shooting at an enemy with 3 or more Markerlights.
  • Shield Drone Saviour Protocols can be used on VEHICLES.
  • Increase the Strength and AP of all weapons (melee and shooting) by 1 if you are within 8” of your target.

Speaking of possible sept traits, I wish we had a drone-heavy sept with the following rules:
Tactical drones can be taken as troops
Drones have 4+ BS
Like how drone net worked in 7th

Ash87
Shas'Saal
Posts: 64

Re: Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#5 » Feb 15 2018 02:32

I think Tash'var should get laser shotguns into Melee. They are supposed to be awesome with breachers, fought melee armies with them a lot (I can't remember if it was Orks or Nids, but it was one), so... Laser shotgun into Melee. Like, let the pulse blaster count as a pistol or something. I mean the good hit requires pistol range anyway.

User avatar
JancoBCN
Shas'Saal
Posts: 100

Re: Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#6 » Feb 15 2018 05:47

Ash87 wrote:I think Tash'var should get laser shotguns into Melee. They are supposed to be awesome with breachers, fought melee armies with them a lot (I can't remember if it was Orks or Nids, but it was one), so... Laser shotgun into Melee. Like, let the pulse blaster count as a pistol or something. I mean the good hit requires pistol range anyway.


Wow that could be fun! I love the ultra-low range weaponery and its increased firepower (Breachers, Y'vahra, Flamer Crsis Suits). I would love to have more benefits encouraging that in some Sept, like adding mobility (thow 3 dices and picking the higher when advance), as well as leting those sept' units advance and still shot as if they only moved.
Or maybe increasing even more Strength/AP/BS when shooting from <9"

Ash87
Shas'Saal
Posts: 64

Re: Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#7 » Feb 15 2018 10:44

JancoBCN wrote:
Ash87 wrote:I think Tash'var should get laser shotguns into Melee. They are supposed to be awesome with breachers, fought melee armies with them a lot (I can't remember if it was Orks or Nids, but it was one), so... Laser shotgun into Melee. Like, let the pulse blaster count as a pistol or something. I mean the good hit requires pistol range anyway.


Wow that could be fun! I love the ultra-low range weaponery and its increased firepower (Breachers, Y'vahra, Flamer Crsis Suits). I would love to have more benefits encouraging that in some Sept, like adding mobility (thow 3 dices and picking the higher when advance), as well as leting those sept' units advance and still shot as if they only moved.
Or maybe increasing even more Strength/AP/BS when shooting from <9"


The alternative would be let all gribbly shooters shoot in melee. I think one of the guard regiments can do that with an order.

Would be kind of nice we could issue orders like that from the Cadre or something.

User avatar
CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal
Posts: 260

Re: Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#8 » Feb 15 2018 01:53

Ash87 wrote:
JancoBCN wrote:
Ash87 wrote:I think Tash'var should get laser shotguns into Melee. They are supposed to be awesome with breachers, fought melee armies with them a lot (I can't remember if it was Orks or Nids, but it was one), so... Laser shotgun into Melee. Like, let the pulse blaster count as a pistol or something. I mean the good hit requires pistol range anyway.


Wow that could be fun! I love the ultra-low range weaponery and its increased firepower (Breachers, Y'vahra, Flamer Crsis Suits). I would love to have more benefits encouraging that in some Sept, like adding mobility (thow 3 dices and picking the higher when advance), as well as leting those sept' units advance and still shot as if they only moved.
Or maybe increasing even more Strength/AP/BS when shooting from <9"


The alternative would be let all gribbly shooters shoot in melee. I think one of the guard regiments can do that with an order.

Would be kind of nice we could issue orders like that from the Cadre or something.


Or they can just give them a blanket fall back and shoot. There is already precedence for this being an army-wide faction trait in multiple codices now.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

pumaman1
Shas
Posts: 3

Re: Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#9 » Feb 16 2018 02:39

I think it would be interesting if they change BKR to always pass morale on a 6+, and then make more traits to add +1 to Morale Test. Such as Ethereal adds +2, Seargent adds +1 (instead of LD+1), SEPT trait +1, Cp 1 add 2 to Morale test, so that it seems counter productive, but more often than not, you autopass morale tests. Could encourage non-min squads again.

Sorry for late edit..

User avatar
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La
Posts: 441

Re: Ideas for Sept Traits

Post#10 » Feb 17 2018 08:38

I thought it might be interesting if a Sept fired Overwatch after the enemy made their charge move, with the risk of not being able to fire overwatch at all if the charge roll fails. "Hold your fire until you see the whites of their eyes," kinda thing.

As I get charged from outside of 9" a lot, that'd be of benefit to shorter range options like Breachers, Flamers, some rapid fire weapons and Cadre-fireblade's volley fire.

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AleksandrGRC, CMO, LordValandil, Plainshow, Razzmatazz, Wedrujacy and 8 guests