Pulse blastcannon

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Pulse blastcannon

Post#1 » Feb 13 2018 07:01

How would one go about using the pulse blastcannon?

The range on it seems a bit counter-intuitive, given that you don't want such a big target out in the open chasing after enemy units, especially since you want it anchored somewhere to get BS3+

DancinHobo
Shas'Saal

Re: Pulse blastcannon

Post#2 » Feb 13 2018 07:56

Ran 1 last weekend. Charged him upfield through cover. Only got close range once. Mostly medium range. Still did good.

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Feb 13 2018 08:54

It is counter-intuitive. Most of its other weapons are quite long ranged; 30" for the SMS, 48" for the cluster rockets and 60" for the missiles. All of those won't be benefitting from the +1 to hit since you'll likely be running around.

That said, the price is significantly less than the Driver and even the 20" mode is, in my opinion, significantly better when considering power. It really is a tough list-building choice that forces you to consider your other units. Do you have the support for it to move up the field? Could you support it if it stayed back? Do you have other units that can reach the enemy's back lines or should the Stormsurge fill that role? And of course there's the points cost.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Feb 13 2018 09:10

I have a question:
Can I use the long range profile in close range?
If I'm targeting MEQ for instance, I'd rather have more shots than higher AP

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Feb 13 2018 09:15

Temennigru wrote:I have a question:
Can I use the long range profile in close range?
If I'm targeting MEQ for instance, I'd rather have more shots than higher AP

You can. The weapon profile reads "When attacking with this weapon, choose one of the profiles below". So at 18" you could use the Medium or Long Range profiles because either is within range. Similarly, at 5", you can choose between all three.

Zadocfish
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Feb 14 2018 03:39

The simple reason is, if you have a Stormsurge, you want it to kill stuff. It can move, so long as its anchors are up; putting it somewhere and anchoring down pretty much guarantees that your opponent's big stuff will have to either go after it or get out of its 15" range, which turns it into either a massive sponge soaking up enemy aggro or, better yet, a 30" bubble in which nothing really wants to be. A unit that punishes the opponent for ignoring it or focusing on it has a lot of utility.

Moreover, the fact is, in this edition a tankbuster with 3+ to hit, D3 shots, and random damage just... isn't that great. Yeah, the lumbering monstrosity will have trouble getting into 10" range for that sweet, sweet 6 damage shot, but even the Medium profile is great (4 shots at 3 fixed damage, still with good AP), and it has a pretty solid threat range (certainly in line with every other good shooter in our army). With the Blastcannon, it can be used as a heavy-hitting lightningrod by going midfield or it can protect your blob from getting killed by deepstrikers with an EWO. With the Pulse Driver, it can... sit in the back and MAYBE make a dent on the enemy's tanks while being mostly safely ignored.

It's a weird case where the cheaper weapon is almost always better than the more expensive option... kinda like the Acid Spray for a Tyrannofex. You sacrifice range for firepower, but that kind of range is at odds with the rest of the army so it's best to just go with the higher-damage option which gives better synergy at a lower cost.
I am a Christian.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 14 2018 02:28

Zadocfish wrote:The simple reason is, if you have a Stormsurge, you want it to kill stuff. It can move, so long as its anchors are up; putting it somewhere and anchoring down pretty much guarantees that your opponent's big stuff will have to either go after it or get out of its 15" range, which turns it into either a massive sponge soaking up enemy aggro or, better yet, a 30" bubble in which nothing really wants to be. A unit that punishes the opponent for ignoring it or focusing on it has a lot of utility.

Moreover, the fact is, in this edition a tankbuster with 3+ to hit, D3 shots, and random damage just... isn't that great. Yeah, the lumbering monstrosity will have trouble getting into 10" range for that sweet, sweet 6 damage shot, but even the Medium profile is great (4 shots at 3 fixed damage, still with good AP), and it has a pretty solid threat range (certainly in line with every other good shooter in our army). With the Blastcannon, it can be used as a heavy-hitting lightningrod by going midfield or it can protect your blob from getting killed by deepstrikers with an EWO. With the Pulse Driver, it can... sit in the back and MAYBE make a dent on the enemy's tanks while being mostly safely ignored.

It's a weird case where the cheaper weapon is almost always better than the more expensive option... kinda like the Acid Spray for a Tyrannofex. You sacrifice range for firepower, but that kind of range is at odds with the rest of the army so it's best to just go with the higher-damage option which gives better synergy at a lower cost.

The difference is the pulse driver cannon has a 72" range, so you can just leave it anchored behind cover and keep popping the enemy tanks.

pumaman1
Shas

Post#8 » Feb 14 2018 02:44

Temennigru wrote:
The difference is the pulse driver cannon has a 72" range, so you can just leave it anchored behind cover and keep popping the enemy tanks.

well... "popping" average 1.5 (D3 would be 2, but 50% to 16% with anchors down and 5 ML to miss) shots of 3.5 damage (d6) for 5.25 average damage.. ranging from 1-18 possible damage

Zadocfish
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Feb 14 2018 04:48

pumaman1 wrote:
Temennigru wrote:

well... "popping" average 1.5 (D3 would be 2, but 50% to 16% with anchors down and 5 ML to miss) shots of 3.5 damage (d6) for 5.25 average damage.. ranging from 1-18 possible damage

Yup. Using the range on the Driver cannon is putting you outside the range of several of your other weapons (Cluster rockets are 48", SMS is 30", Burst Cannons are 18"), you're paying a premium price in points for outputting far less damage and making a much smaller difference in the battle.
I am a Christian.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Feb 14 2018 05:00

Zadocfish wrote:
pumaman1 wrote:
Temennigru wrote:

Yup. Using the range on the Driver cannon is putting you outside the range of several of your other weapons (Cluster rockets are 48", SMS is 30", Burst Cannons are 18"), you're paying a premium price in points for outputting far less damage and making a much smaller difference in the battle.

It puts you out of range if you are firing it at the same target. The rockets can serve as area denial and the pulse driver can serve as artillery.
But it is overpriced though. It has the same stats as the demolisher cannon and costs double the points. I would put it at fixed 6 damage and leave the points as they are.

DancinHobo
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Feb 14 2018 10:17

Temennigru wrote:
Zadocfish wrote:
pumaman1 wrote:

It puts you out of range if you are firing it at the same target. The rockets can serve as area denial and the pulse driver can serve as artillery.
But it is overpriced though. It has the same stats as the demolisher cannon and costs double the points. I would put it at fixed 6 damage and leave the points as they are.

If they put it at 6, the the blast cannon would need a big boost as well.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Feb 15 2018 05:43

DancinHobo wrote:
Temennigru wrote:
Zadocfish wrote:

If they put it at 6, the the blast cannon would need a big boost as well.

Given that the blastcannon is 6, I think it would be better to make the driver cannon 2d6. I would also half again the ranges on the driver cannon, since 30 inches max range is silly for a "starship weapon"

Return to “General Discussion”