K'man

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
K'man
Shas

K'man

Post#1 » Oct 10 2010 05:51

Lars Kristensson

Age and gender:
30, Male

Software Architect

How did you get into wargaming?
A friend introduced me some three and a half year ago (after I had got him hooked on EVE Online), and he got me hooked. The hobby combined all my interests as a kid; Plastic soldiers, building models, strategy gaming and math.

How did you get into Tau?
It was easy. When my friend wanted me to start playing, he walked me through the different choices of codex - and when we reached the Tau I just picked it up. It was the one. It was obvious this was the army for me; High-tech, surgical, sneaky, with a minimalistic style.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
It's not a 'straight forward' army. You need to learn its style and how to work around its weaknesses, or you'll find yourself having your dear army bombed to hell and torn to pieces.

What is your Tau colour scheme?
Desert camouflage.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?
I've been looking for a good resource of gaming knowledge, and was very pleased to find a forum of such a high standard. I've been hovering this forum for a couple of months now.

What are the origins of your ATT username?
My IRL- and later online-nick has been K-man for many, many years now. However, I found in this context K'man would do better. (It's also the name of my old, now sold, EVE Online character.)

Have you reviewed the ATT Member Primers?
Yes

How often do you usually play?
Too seldom. Less than once per month.

Which is the reason me and my friends has put together a campaign, to get some more gaming going:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71916

Which, again, is the reason I'm here. Since I do intend to win that campaign.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
No

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?
I hate playing against close combat armies. Not primarily because they are tricky for Tau to handle, but it's not my idea of a strategy game. When I did chose to start playing W40k I was not aware how much the rules promote close combat - if I was, I might just have chosen another system...

What's your usual gaming environment?
I'm playing in an environment of (mostly) powergamers, with high competition and very tough metagaming. (Occasionally crossing the border to bullying.)

We play by WYSIWYG and RAW, and use all official and FW extensions.

How about painting?
We use very strict painting rules. A not fully painted model does not belong on the table. No proxy and no unpainted models.

While supporting it, this is a bit of an obstacle for me, since I'm one extremely slow painter. This means I will, essentially, have to settle with the models I do have already and do the best out of them.

All being beginners in the beginning, I'm now stuck with some of the sub-optimal decisions I made in the early construction of my army, which I'll now have to compensate for tactically instead.

Which, again, is the reason I'm here...

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Re: K'man

Post#2 » Oct 10 2010 02:23

Hi there K'man, welcome to ATT. Thank you for reading the Primers; we take them very seriously, so it's important to know what's contained therein.

Your answer to the "What would be your second piece of advice" question is very good and accurate. As we all know, our little blue buddies are great when played properly. :biggrin: I also noted that you and your friends have a very "stern" approach to your battlefields: no proxies and no unpainted/incompletely painted models. Whereas I personally don't begrudge someone using a proxy model here and there, I certainly prefer to see 'The Real Thing' on the table. As for fully painted armies: definitely. A battle between two well- or fully-painted armies looks great.

Anyway, enjoy your time with us, and hopefully you will learn more about tactics and strategies as you read further through our archives. Maybe we'll get to see some of your army in the Lower Concourse?

E.

K'man
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 10 2010 04:43

Thank you, Eiglepulper.

Actually, re-reading my post I realize I might have come out a bit hard. Wasn't really my intention. (In particular I could have used some softer wording regarding the CC-armies.)

But, yes, we are playing by some very strict ruling. Having completely painted WYSIWYG models is one of them.

Personally I might not be the most skillful painter (even though I do spend a lot of time on my models), so I guess you'll find me mostly in the Academy, and in particularly the Tactica section.

In fact I've already learnt lots and lots from my readings here, and I'm looking forward to practice some of the ideas in upcoming battles. It's indeed one massive knowledge database you gathered here...

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Oct 11 2010 01:19

You sound like a kindred to myself. I also play with mostly power gamers who don't pull any punches with the exception of a Tyranid player. It's tough and all, but I've definitely learned the biggest lesson is to play to win, but don't play for the win, if you know what i mean. I have a blast and as long as I'm pleased with my performance then I'm happy. However, I did recently beat the crap out of one of these gamers in 3 Killteam games in a row. Blood Angels, Veteran Squad and Grey Knights. I beat the poor guy so bad that I ended up feeling bad afterwards (but not too bad ;)).

Anyways, yes, Tau are dakka heavy in a choppy environment. The ironic thing about the Tau is that the closer you get to them, the deadlier they become. I've learned to use that to my advantage.

Anyways, as always, welcome to the forum. If you will be hanging around the Tactica forums then I'll definitely see you around. I do hope you enjoy your time here. Good luck, and go with the Tau'va.
-Shas'la T'au Ell'ran

K'man
Shas

Post#5 » Oct 11 2010 06:26

Hi Ell'ran,

Well, I agree that as long as you're satisfied with your own performance you can't really require any more. In fact my last game was just like that. (I was performing well, but at one point I had to make a strategic decision and went for a short game. The game went on to 7 turns, and I lost.)

We also got one who doesn't powergame - an Ork player. He tend to compose his army more for the fun and amusement of it. It's a welcome change, but sadly he also tend to suffer from it...

The ironic thing about the Tau is that the closer you get to them, the deadlier they become.

Please elaborate on this one. It's the short-ranged rapid fire, fusion blasters and flamers you have in mind?

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#6 » Oct 11 2010 10:40

I'm guessing that's what Ell'ran is getting at. We have a considerable increase in firepower once the enemy reach 12" range, with Pulse Rifles and Plasma Rifles gaining extra shots and Fusion coming into range. We have the mid-range firepower to whittle away at the advancing enemy with Burst Cannons, Pulse Carbines and SMS, and the long range stuff to make the enemy walk across the table!

However, personally I prefer to keep AV12 between my Warriors and the on-coming horde.

E.

K'man
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 11 2010 12:39

True. Interesting. That did give me some new perspectives on the Tau strategy. I've always viewed Tau as maneuverable, sneaking around the bushes while trying to keep the enemy at distance.

Outmaneuvering the combatant, heading for the objectives while trying to keep the losses down. Avoiding upfront conflict. (Which is indeed hard on a 6'x4' table!)

But the short range argument is a very good explanation for why shielding is so important to Tau, beside the troops being fairly weak. (Something I've indeed learnt the hard way.)

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Oct 12 2010 04:08

Eiglepulper has apparently understood what I was trying to say. The Tau are indeed fragile though, and I must agree that they are best taxi'd around in a transport.

But my original intention is that people vastly under estimate the Tau and in doing so they rush blindly in giving little care for the fire that we can bring down upon them. My most recent experience with this was with a Blood Angels player during a Kill Team battle. He carelessly threw his assault marines down my throat and in doing so he was rapid-fired to death, claiming only 2 Fire Warriors and 1 Gun Drone throughout the entire mission. Yes, people under estimate Tau, but it is also my opinion that they over estimate 3+ armor as well.

Return to “Membership Profiles”