Magarch

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Magarch
Shas'Saal

Magarch

Post#1 » Jun 01 2013 03:11

Greetings, everyone. I'm lurking on this forum for some time now, and I decided that it was better to come into the light of the Greater Good. :D

First, I apologize for my english since it's not my first language. I'm used to reading it, but writing is totally another thing. So I hope you will be able to understand me, at the very least! :P

Now, let's begin the quizz!

Real first name:
David

Age and gender:
33, male

How did you get into wargaming?
I was dropped into it when I was a little boy! Never stopped since that time. At first, it was Warhammer Battle, but I shifted to 40k when I got older because I felt the game was more fun in the dark future. Played at quite a lot of different versions, now it's the V6 and I quite like it.

I do play at other wargames, though. Anima Tactics (well, to be honest it's more a skirmish game, but whatever) is the one I like the best for now.

How did you get into Tau?
Since their very first appearance, I just liked them. They have a very futuristic feeling, that is completely different to the usual Space Marines and the gothic aspect of the Imperium. Their "optimistic side" was also refreshing, while the other armies are usually "grim" and always talking of certain doom. At that time, I didn't really get into playing the army, because their play style wasn't so sexy to me.

But now, with the new codex in V6, I'm totally seduced; the army list is really well balanced, with all units being actually useful (okay, some more than others - but at least, every of them can fill up a role in the army) and has a great deal of flexibility - with still very "Tau feeling" weaknesses. The big "Gundam" exo-armor was the last strike to my heart, and I decided to do it at last. Now my army is still in building, and quite advancing to the Apocalypse stage.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
Play what you like to play, not what the others tell you what is better to play. Victory in wargaming is one thing, but having fun with your gaming partner is the most important. After all, it's just a game. :D

What is your Tau colour scheme?
Don't expect me to be an awesome painter, because I'm not. I like modeling, but painting isn't my favorite. So my colour scheme is quite simple; black and grey, with some parts of red and camo green.

Maybe I'll show the result in the gallery, but honestly it's nothing great - especially when you see the astounding work of other members here!

How did you find this site/the old site?
It was just the result of a search on Google. Saw that site, read the articles and really liked it. It's mature, there are plenty of good ideas and reflections, be it on modeling, painting, gaming and even "backgrounding"! Good job here, people! :biggrin:

What are the origins of your ATT username?
It's just the name of my general in Warhammer Battle (I played dark elves at that time). It followed me since that time.

Have you reviewed the ATT Member Primers?
For the Greater Good, I have.

Where and how often do you usually play?
I usually play at my club, but not as often I would like to. If it's once per month, it's already a good thing.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
Too much for my sanity, actually. I will just speak about 40k; I also have a sister of battle army and a renegade guard one. Both are pretty big, and always waiting to having new members. Now they are in "stand by", since I'm focused on the Tau and their new Eldar allies...

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?
It's more about having favourite and least favourite players, in fact. I like playing with people who want to try new things and are creative (not just their play style). I don't like playing with those who just want to win at all costs and are using the rules for their own (and only - of course they will not tell you of rules that are in your favour!-) advantage, even if it means stomping on the fun of their opponent. I also don't like people who actually want to humiliate their opponent. Those deserve a good kick in their butt, so that everything in their head gets into the right place. :dead:

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'?
Depends. Some think it's childish, others are amazed of what I can do with "my little fingers". Usually, they say it's better than spending all that money in smoking and drinking. :D

What are some of you other interests?
Reading. Before, I also played at video games, but now it's a very small part of my free time. I just like reading and modeling a lot more.

What is your favourite music?
Everything that is beautiful to the ear. What is agressive/empty/noisy doesn't interest me.

I hope we will spend a good time together on this forum. Now I am in your care, for the Greater Good! :fear:

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Magarch

Post#2 » Jun 04 2013 09:55

Magarch wrote:What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?
It's more about having favourite and least favourite players, in fact. I like playing with people who want to try new things and are creative (not just their play style). I don't like playing with those who just want to win at all costs and are using the rules for their own (and only - of course they will not tell you of rules that are in your favour!-) advantage, even if it means stomping on the fun of their opponent. I also don't like people who actually want to humiliate their opponent. Those deserve a good kick in their butt, so that everything in their head gets into the right place. :dead:

I will admit that I can be a bit of a rules freak, but I never neglect to enforce rules that benefit my opponent or harm myself. But as you've said, the most important part of the game is having fun.

Welcome to ATT, Magarch.

Magarch
Shas'Saal

Re: Magarch

Post#3 » Jun 11 2013 05:17

Thank you! :D

ARC'Thunder wrote:I will admit that I can be a bit of a rules freak, but I never neglect to enforce rules that benefit my opponent or harm myself. But as you've said, the most important part of the game is having fun.

Don't worry, I'm also quite of a "rules freak" myself, but I always insist on being fair with your gaming partner. It's something very important to me, because I feel it's not right to do something to the other what you would never accept for yourself.

As long as you're fair with your opponent and you're both having fun, that's indeed the most important part in this game! :)

Return to “Membership Profiles”