Storik

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Storik
Shas'Saal

Storik

Post#1 » Dec 16 2016 09:51

Real first name: Yvan

Age and gender: 32/M

How did you get into wargaming?
About 20 years ago, a new kid started at school and we became friends. I went over to his place one afternoon, and he and his older brother had a bunch of WHFB stuff. A bunch of Bretonians and Lizardmen. We played around with them, and I was hooked. I had my mom take me to a comic shop downtown that also sold GW stuff, and bought the lizardmen army book and was hooked. Lizardmen didn't last, I switched to High Elves pretty quick. I still remember the first box of plastic spearmen and archers I got. I was 11 or 12, and spent all of my paper route money on WHFB. I layered the primer on those suckers so bad, the plate mail was butchered, the detail completely hidden below the ridiculous amount of primer I had put on them. A few years later, I happened to walk in to the store when some older guys (read early 20s) were playing 40k, and I just sat and watched them play for well over an hour. They were throwing grenades, there were giant tyranid monsters. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

How did you get into Tau?
I remember getting tabled by a Tau army back when they were newish. I thought they were pretty cool at the time, but it wasn't until I saw the first pictures of the riptides that I was a real fan. It was during a period that I was on a break from the hobby, but I always kept up with new model releases. I knew from that instant that when my life settled down, I'd be back in to 40k, and that Tau was going to be the way i did it. A couple of weeks ago, I liquidated the left overs from my past 40k armies (some IG and Eldar), headed down to my FLGS (who I found out has 10-15% off retail!), and promptly spent all the money I had just made. I'm now putting together all of that sweet sweet shooty goodness, and have about half of it assembled.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
Experiment with a list builder. Just build lists. Look at them, tweak them, play with them. I find it's always interesting as you get close to the points limit you've given yourself. You have to make sacrifices and hard choices. That's where the learning comes in I think.

What is your Tau colour scheme?
I will be painting them up as Vior'la. I absolutely love that colour scheme. I will definitely be weathering these models up some as well, which will be a good learning experience from a painting perspective.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?
I mentioned above about tinkering with lists. I was doing a ton of searches on specific formations, and looking for army lists that included things that I was interested in. I kept getting search results that brought me here. I started digging deeper. It's easily the best source for anything Tau that I have found! I have been lurking for a week (does that count?) and a member for less than 24 hours.

What are the origins of your ATT username?
It's been my gamer tag since I started playing WoWway back when it was shiny and new. I've stuck with it through most of my internet life.

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules?
Yes

Where and how often do you usually play?
Well, I haven't in quite some time (5th edition maybe?). I know there is a local community at a couple of stores that I hope to get in touch with. My hope is to play once a week. First things first, I need an army! Concentrating on the hobby side to get myself a solid base to start with.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
I have played a number of 40k armies since I started back in 3rd edition (I think). I started with Blood Angels, then Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, IG and finally an Eldar serpent spam list. Now, Tau!

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?
I've never really cared about what army I faced. I cared more about who I was playing against, and always enjoyed playing against well painted armies. I say well painted as meaning a small step above tabletop minimum. Unless it's Necrons. I hate Necrons.

What is your best and worst 40K moment?
It's been a while, but my best 40k moments were always deep striking melta units actually accomplishing something. Most notably when I played IG. I had stormtroopers that I always deep struck. They were my favourite models in the whole army. More often than not, they would just die a horrible, horrible death. But every now and then, they totally redeemed themselves! Here they are in all their glory!

Worst moment? I had moved to a new city, and was frequenting the FLGS on 40k nights and participating on their forums. I felt like part of the team. One of the other members was caught criticizing people from the group for not playing "hardcore" enough in not so nice terms. People found out. Drama ensued. It was such a lovely place before that all went down, and just like that, it wasn't that much fun going to 40k nights anymore.

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'?
When I told my wife that I was selling off my old 40k stuff to buy new 40k stuff, she rolled her eyes at me. Then I told her how much I had actually sold everything for, and that I spent it all, and she rolled her eyes even further.

What are some of you other interests?
Running, video games, travelling

Do you have any pets?
Negative

What is your favourite band?
I honestly wouldn't say I have a favourite band. I listen to all sorts of music.

Looking forward to being a part of a community that has so much of what I'm interested in. I'd love to share my army building progress somewhere. I find that it helps keep focused and motivated.

Return to “Membership Profiles”