New Tau player!

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Shas'O Doran'Por
Shas

New Tau player!

Post#1 » Jan 11 2017 12:07

Hello everyone! Long time lurker first time poster here. I've been playing 40k for about 15 years now but only really played Orks (I have about 6k worth of the buggers) and have recently inherited a buddys small tau force and have purchased a few reinforcements :D. I've always loved the Tau as a faction (and loathed playing them on the battlefield) so I'm excited to dig deeper into the greater good and build up my Vior'la Cadre!

chappyman77
Shas

Re: New Tau player!

Post#2 » Jan 11 2017 02:01

Hey! Replying because I am in exactly the same position as you(with the exception of number of years played). I started an ork army a year and a half ago and amassed quite a green tide. Ready to try out something completely different. Got a Start Collecting! box and an extra box of fire warriors. Hopefully we can keep up with each other's progress as we ease away from the brutes and into the technologically advanced greater good! Cheers mate!

Shas'O Doran'Por
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 11 2017 07:54

Cheers chappyman77! I'm pretty excited to give them a whirl in game as i haven't gotten a game in with them yet. So many more options compared to the Orks! So far I have 1 commander, 1 ethereal, 10 fire warriors, 10 pathfinders, 3 crisis suits, a riptide and a stormsurge and of course the drones that come with everyone. I got most of it (barring the Start Collecting! Box) from a buddy and they were unpainted so that was awesome. Not sure what to add next, i know more firewarrios and crisis for sure though!

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 12 2017 06:57

I'd also recommend some Broadsides. They make a good fire base support and are invaluable.
After that the Hammerhead kit (just because you can build almost three things out of it. Just missing the nose for the Devilfish.)
Then last but not least a Ghostkeel and Stealthsuits. The OSC is pretty good.
And a crap ton of magnets. You're going to want to magnetize all the Crisis suit weapons.

Welcome to the Greater Good

Shas'O Doran'Por
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 12 2017 08:33

Ifrit wrote:I'd also recommend some Broadsides. They make a good fire base support and are invaluable.
After that the Hammerhead kit (just because you can build almost three things out of it. Just missing the nose for the Devilfish.)
Then last but not least a Ghostkeel and Stealthsuits. The OSC is pretty good.
And a crap ton of magnets. You're going to want to magnetize all the Crisis suit weapons.

Welcome to the Greater Good

Thanks Ifrit! I'm thinking I want atleast 2 broadsides with HYMP and i was looking at the OSC and it sounds awesome! I also want 2 more Riptides so I can make a Riptide wing. I almost have enough for a Hunter Cadre as well I just need 2 more units of firewarriors, one strike and one breacher. Now I was looking through my codex and I cant find the Riptide wing or drone network formations are they in thr Farsight supplement?

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 12 2017 09:12

Yeah they are both in the Mont'ka supplement.

chappyman77
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 13 2017 01:17

Shas'O Doran'Por wrote:Cheers chappyman77! I'm pretty excited to give them a whirl in game as i haven't gotten a game in with them yet. So many more options compared to the Orks! So far I have 1 commander, 1 ethereal, 10 fire warriors, 10 pathfinders, 3 crisis suits, a riptide and a stormsurge and of course the drones that come with everyone. I got most of it (barring the Start Collecting! Box) from a buddy and they were unpainted so that was awesome. Not sure what to add next, i know more firewarrios and crisis for sure though!

Dude I know right?! Orks are so straightforward. I am flipping through the codex like a kid on christmas. WHICH TOY DO I PLAY WITH FIRST?! I think I am most excited to try out stealth suits and just using markerlights in general. I still love my orks and vow to never give up on them, but this should be very refreshing. Already kinda want another Start Collecting box too! :)

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 14 2017 12:25

Devilfish

So this is the Devilfish as you can see it has a burst cannon for the nose option.

Skyray

This is the Skyray comes stock with 6 Seeker missiles and the two things on the tips are the networked market lights. Meaning (correct me if I'm wrong) it can use its own marker lights. So it could fire them first paint the target then boost its BS or fire a missile, etc etc.

Hammerhead

Finally this is the Hammerhead. As you can see it has the same nose as the Skyray. Not pictured is the Ion Cannon (because if you want an Ion Cannon you should really be looking at a Riptide). Now I know that the drones on the fins look different between the Skyray and the HH but you can buil either of them.
So if you buy just the HH/Skyray kit you could build all 3. Just the nose assembly would be different. But you could always proxy it or use magnets.
Check out this tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14513

Return to “Membership Profiles”