Hail Blueberry Spacepope! Long may he reign peaceful and flavorful.

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Hail Blueberry Spacepope! Long may he reign peaceful and flavorful.

Post#1 » Feb 25 2017 02:39

Hi!

I Just bought my first 40k army about a week or so ago. Read the lore for years, played a small handful of times with my friend who got me into the hobby as his Tau army because robots and I liked the thought of playing a mainly ranged army that wasn't Imperial.

On my way to a local game store to buy a copy of Space Hulk. I figured, I could baby-step into playing 40k, still have models to paint, and as a bonus, I would have more opportunities to play, as Space Hulk is easy to learn, and doesn't require a huge money investment from my friends.

Then I got to the store, saw the Tau starter set, saw the Firewarrior set, and a used riptide for 35 bucks. I asked the dude how much the starter set was and he goes, "All our GW stuff is 25% off sticker price except used." and I said

"WELL I GUESS I HAVE A 40K HABIT NOW."

I started to paint, couldn't decide on a color scheme and now I'm already in the midst of both hating and loving my work. I've never painted anything, let alone a 28mm figure. So I went on a shopping spree. Bought paints, little foam trays to hold my spaceraisin robotmans, and a ton of other crafty business.

After Googling a few inspirational photos, youtube videos, and poor camera shots later, this happened:

Apologies if this breaks tables like a backyard wrestler in Michigan hopped up on Zima, but this forum doesn't seem to have [timg][/timg] capabilities. I will edit the post to links instead if I have violated some rules, and everyones eye holes.

ANYWHO, I am almost done with my fire warriors, (from this point forward, whenever I say "done" I mean "currently-not-adding-more-paint-than-I-should") then it'll be on to my pathfinders.

I would love some criticism on the ham-fisted painting! I have noticed with every new figure I paint, I get a little better. I started with the Ion Accelerator, then the Riptide, then the Crisis Suits. I really stink at washing, and I'm afraid that highlighting will be way too much going on with an already muddled paint scheme. I tried to do battle damage, tried to do some dry-brush glow effects, even a little bit of highlights on the Riptides calves.

I just don't know where to go from here. I'm still not entirely happy with the colors I went with, and I'm half tempted to wipe the slate and start over with something more simple color wise. Looking at you Tael with your uncontrollably gorgeous Urban Cadre. That paint job is hands down the best paint job I have seen to date, anywhere. I love it so much.

Now that I got that gushing out of my system, what do you guys think? Am I rushing to do too much my first time around? Should I stick to the requisite 2-3 colors? The scale green color seems to get lost in it, but the tan seems to make it feel more militarized somehow, and the grey was the only color choice I could come to that would even remotely work with the other 3 colors.

In summation, or TL;DR:

Hi I'm new, I have no idea what I'm doing, I like robots, also yay Warhammer.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Re: Hail Blueberry Spacepope! Long may he reign peaceful and flavorful.

Post#2 » Feb 25 2017 03:04

Oh wait, oops here is also a thing:

Real first name: KT

Age and gender:37 dude

Location: Detroit (basically a Mechanicum forge-metropolis only for cars and not big robots)

Occupation:Parks and Recreation Supervisor. (Yes it's like the show, I would be Ron)

How did you get into wargaming? Horus Heresy series, and too much money in my pocket while at a game store with the intention of buying something else entirely.

How did you get into Tau? Babies First Army I've ever played. :3 Also I love the way they look and fight.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player? PAINT A LIGHT COLORED ARMY. Also, don't cut all of one body part from the sprues from two different box sets. It will make it very difficult to figure out which arm goes with which gun.

What is your Tau colour scheme? This topic is too painful/confusing to discuss, just see above photos.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member? Been a member all of an hour, and I found this site because of Tael's freking incredible paint scheme. I swear I will find you and we will do battle so I can take your powers like Highlander then I will paint an army like that without feeling like a jerk plagarist.

What are the origins of your ATT username? My name on other forums, and in video games is usually Kabuki

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules? I have.

Where and how often do you usually play? I have yet to play with my new army as I am trying to use painting it as a motivator. "Can't play till what you have is painted." Because I am Chaplain Adeptus Procrastinator and will not do something WITH THE FURY OF A THOUSAND DYING SUNS.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system? No, but I am kinda pumped for the rumors of the Sistas getting their own plastic and codex.

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against? It's more about the people than it is the army. I'm excited to try some tactics out I read about here and elsewhere. But again, It's more about who I'm playing than it is what army they are playing.

What is your best and worst 40K moment? I have yet to have these moments in game.

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'? They are completely indifferent. It's just another thing I'm into and doing. Added to the pile of weird stuff I carry around.

What are some of you other interests? Drawing, making music, calligraphy, graffitti, coffeeeeeeee, long walks off short piers, also cereal. Which is a hand food like chips or popcorn and if you disagree, we are going to fight irl.

Do you have any pets? No.

What is your favourite band? Too many to list.

What is your favourite color? Yes.

Are you single? Purple.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 25 2017 09:48

Welcome to the Orbital Ka'buki! I like what you've done with your models. The poses on the crisis suits are dynamic and I like the glow effect, particularly in the riptide.

My only advice to you is, if you decide to paint them a different color strip the paint off of them by soaking them in concentrated simple green and them scrubbing them with a tooth brush. This will save the details on the models.

Personally I think they look good and you definitely will get better as you paint more. I've been painting and playing for about 13 years on and off and I still don't like how mine turn out, but artists are there own worst critics.

Tau'va and good luck! :D

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Feb 25 2017 11:33

Do you have an airbrush? If not I'd recommend picking one up. TCPGlobal has really good prices. Particularly look ata gravity fed one (the bowl is on the top) and a compressor with a tank attached to it. (The compressor will kick on less and you'll have less water/condensation caught in the trap).
After that it's just practice on air to paint ratio etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTfnfI ... 8sWck4sxvQ

Check this guy out. No he doesn't really do Tau but his techniques transfer well. Also start at the tthe beginning few because he talks about his set up that he uses and it's like all for 150ish...

Any ways hope this helps a little.

Also check out this guys Cadre: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20281&hilit=Persifal

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 25 2017 12:52

Aj'Tau: Thank you for the compliment! I know that I'm my own worst critic. I can sometimes be too objective, and I convince myself that other people see what I see. Also thanks for the stripping tip! I'm going to finish the army in these colors for now, work on highlights and details and see if I can't make this army pop like Orville Redenbacher. :)

Ifrit: I don't have an airbrush, but thanks for the info! I was thinking about waiting to see where my skills lay with a more corporeal brush first. :D

I did see that guys Cadre, and it too, is beautiful. So many talented artists here!

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Feb 25 2017 05:27

Welcome aboard!

Ka'Buki wrote:Apologies if this breaks tables like a backyard wrestler in Michigan hopped up on Zima, but this forum doesn't seem to have [timg][/timg] capabilities. I will edit the post to links instead if I have violated some rules, and everyones eye holes.

Don't worry too much about the size of your images. The new and improved ATT forum automatically resizes images to fit comfortably on it, so all you have to do now is input the image URL into the Img tags and the forum software will take care of the rest.

Now, in terms of your painting.

First of all, those are some killer glow effects and directional lighting on the Riptide! I am more than a little envious of them. As someone who has become tired of seeing blue glows everywhere on Tau models I also really like the red glow effects on the ion accelerator.

Next, when it comes to paint schemes, something I've found (and something I learnt the hard way when I first got into tabletop wargames) is that it's always good to take some time out before starting to come up with a plan for how you're going to paint an army. Another good idea is to get a couple of extra models first and paint them up as test models to make sure your paint scheme works and to iron out any problems you run into before starting on the army proper.

As for the colours you're using, while I agree that some changes might be required, I'd say they need less modification than you might think. I think that the purple primary colour and the bone-tan coloured panel lines are in a good place and work really well together, providing a striking contrast that really makes the models pop. What isn't working in my eyes is the teal/scaly green areas - I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about them just doesn't sit right with me. My first thought was that the should be omitted entirely, and that there should just be two 'core' colours, but then I remembered the original GW studio Tau scheme from the first Tau release in 3rd edition (back in the primordial times when the Vior'la scheme was grey urban camouflage with a green Sept colour and metal XV15 Stealthsuits roamed the earth). That scheme also had two secondary colours, bone and dark red, and it worked really well. Thinking on it further, in that studio scheme the two secondary colours were spread out, which I think made it look a lot more balanced. In contrast, I think the teal areas on the models you posted might be too close together, which is making them compete for the eye's attention - and since, as you mentioned, the teal tends to blend in with the purple, it tends to lose out and look out of place.

My suggestions, then, would be to either drop the teal entirely and just have purple (and grey) as the primary colour(s), bone as the secondary colour and a few details picked out in orange, or shift the teal to other areas away from the bone coloured areas (maybe consider painting some of the light grey areas teal instead).

The other option I can think of, if you want to get really crazy, is to combine the purple and teal together as the primary colours in a two-tone camouflage scheme. You've mentioned that you're quite fond of Tael's urban camouflage scheme, so you could try emulating that camouflage pattern, but with purples and teals instead of greys. Alternatively, there are several simpler camouflage patterns you could try instead (like the one Tael used for the Hammerheads in his 'normal' army).

And don't worry about the plausibility of purple camouflage - given the diversity of planets in the 40k universe, there's bound to be at least a few with purple and teal coloured terrain. If you don't already have a plan for basing your models, then my recommendation would be to base them with some purple (or blue, in a pinch) painted sand for an oxide desert theme if you want to go the camouflage route.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 25 2017 09:35

Thanks for the advice! This is exactly what I was looking for. I think you're absolutely right. I did kind of plan this out, but I wasn't really prepared for how the paint would look after it dried. I did jump the gun a bit and dove into painting faster than I should have.

I did highlight the breacher team and the crisis suits because I figured I'm already this deep, why not.

Here are the results:

I think it really helped the colors, but I might still strip and repaint. I like the idea of the Grey and Purple with the bone accents.

Though I did try techniques that were far outside my wheelhouse, camo might be a bit too far for me just yet :D

Maybe I'll strip the suits and try some new schemes to see what I like most.

I'm going to use this thread as a bit of a build log until I can make my own thread in the appropriate subforum.

Return to “Membership Profiles”