Returning to the Greater Good (Aphotic)

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Aphotic
Shas'Saal

Returning to the Greater Good (Aphotic)

Post#1 » Mar 20 2017 03:36

Real first name: Dan

Age and gender: 30/M

How did you get into wargaming? I read a lot of WHFB and 40k novels growing up and was heavily into Warhammer Online. I had a coworker at my first job introduce me to the tabletop side of things, something I had never considered. I had never painted or assembled models before, he took me to our local Games Workshop and I got the owner there to show me the big picture of 40k tabletop gaming.

How did you get into Tau? I saw the Riptide box, and knew I had to have it. I originally was just going to assemble and paint that model and use it as a display case, after researching more into the actual game, battle reports and finding 40k forums, I decided to start building an actual army and maybe the Riptide wasn't a good first choice as my first model! I also picked a white color scheme, and while I did well -- didn't realize the headaches that white gives most painters. Let's say I dove head first into some tough modeling/painting!

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player? Read as much as you can before making any purchase. I bought half my Tau army before my codex, and I would have done things differently (planning out an army list, and sticking to a codex color scheme for personal tastes). Also, unless going pure FSE, grab the Start Collecting! box, it really is one of the best ones in terms of costs and synergy of units.

What is your Tau colour scheme? My old Tau army was based on the Bork'an scheme in the Codex. Off-white with brown and orange detailing. I have since sold that army and about to start a new Tau project. This time I will be using the Kel'shan example from the codex, a dark grey with medium brown pants, on a woodland theme base.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member? Back before my first ever game of 40k I found this website through Google and posted my list for critique. I still come here and look at project logs and the galleries for information.

What are the origins of your ATT username? Use to be one of my old online gaming names. Its shortened from "Aphotic Depths" which was loosely based from a line in one of H.P. Lovecraft's works.

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules? Indeed.

Where and how often do you usually play? A FLGS, and usually 2-3 times a month.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system? I have roughly 1,600 points of Blood Angels that I started after I sold my first Tau army. I do not play any other systems currently, although I've been eyeing Age of Sigmar pretty hard.

Thanks for reading!

Tael
Fio'O

Re: Returning to the Greater Good (Aphotic)

Post#2 » Mar 22 2017 08:15

Welcome to the forum! Look forward to your new lists and cadre building up again. Look forward to seeing that shceme on plastic - nice kickstarter is the new Armageddon boxed game for kill teams too.

H.P. Lovecraft - nice referencing source indeed :D

Return to “Membership Profiles”