Getting to know HeadHunter

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
HeadHunter
Shas'Saal

Getting to know HeadHunter

Post#1 » Apr 16 2017 11:07

Real first name: Shaun

Age and gender: 49, Male

How did you get into wargaming? My interest in gaming probably began when my mother read The Hobbit to us as children. In 1981, when I was 13, my mother gave me the Dungeons & Dragons basic set for Easter and that's when it all started. Science Fiction has always interested me more than fantasy- even from the beginning, games like Star Frontiers, Traveller, and the Tri-Tac games appealed to me the most.
I started playing Battletech in college (back when it was called Battledroids) and one day during a game, I was browsing the new arrivals rack at our local store and saw a big hardcover book called Rogue Trader. I was already reading 2000 AD comics and wondered if it was somehow related to Rogue Trooper. Once I saw the art and read about the Gothic future and the Space Marines, I was hooked. I'd already been painting for a few years but these new minis were so much cooler than the Grenadier stuff for D&D. My first models were the plastic beakies, pained as Crimson Fists because of the box art and the fact that the plastic was already dark blue, so I just painted the gloves and the trim and the guns. It was pretty bad. Aside from that I played Space Wolves for over 25 years, until recently.

How did you get into Tau? I first heard of the Tau back when they were introduced in Third Edition but never thought to play them. I liked the lore and the background but was already pretty heavily invested in my Space Marine army (at the time, I was still working on assembling a Grand Company of Space Wolves - as you can imagine that lofty project was never completed).
I lapsed from 40K after 4th Edition because there was no one and nowhere to play at the time. Buffalo really didn't have any game stores unless you played Magic: The Gathering. When I moved to Pittsburgh about 5 years ago, my interest was rekindled. I bought some Wolves, made some new friends, and then added in a Dark Angels army. But I was out of work for a while and sold all my 40K stuff. Once I was back to work, I pondered which army to play now. A friend was playing Tau and I was seriously considering going all in, but wound up doing my Crimson Fists again - this time the right way.
Fast-forward to Kill Team. The box has a Tau squad in it. I've yet to assemble it but haven't sold it, either. When Shadow War: Armageddon came out, I decided to get a box of Pathfinders and give the Tau a try. So I can't say that I'm a "real" Tau player but I definitely like the faction and may explore it further.

I actually do have a Tau'dar deck for the Conquest card game but it's been some time since I've had the chance to play it.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player? I would say just read, observe, learn everything you can. Allow your interest and passion to guide you and be open to new ideas. This forum is full of experienced players who have much to share.

What is your Tau colour scheme? I have yet to decide. I want something visually striking, within my painting capabilities, and suitable to the environment. I saw a beautiful N'Dras army on Dakka but I think that kind of work is a bit above my level.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member? I just joined a couple days ago after searching for information on Tau Kill Teams for Shadow War: Armageddon

What are the origins of your ATT username? My handle comes from long ago in the days of Unreal Tournament. There's a sniper rifle in the game, most people who find it will camp and pick people off. I was known for picking it up and scoring headshots on the run. (BTW, the second H is always captialized)

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules? I have, in fact, and I greatly admire the effort and thought that's been put into them. I've been a moderator and admin for a few gaming forums and internet groups and this seems to be the most orderly and civil such group that I've had the pleasure to join.

Where and how often do you usually play? Due to my work schedule and family life, I don't play often enough. If I said "annually" it would not be far off.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system? My primary 40K army is Crimson Fists, though I still have some Space Wolves and Dark Angels models that I didn't sell because I'd actually painted them.
Several Blood Bowl teams (Skaven and Dwarves are my favorite), a couple Guild Ball teams, a Khador army for Warmachine (with a couple of models for some other factions), Forge Fathers for Warpath.
I'd be lying if I said that most of these were painted... or even assembled.

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against? I enjoy playing against Orks - I like to show them that numerical superiority is meaningless in the face of carefully planned firepower. Plus Ork players tend to be enthusiastic and kind of goofy - it's fun to play against them.
I hate hate hate playing against Eldar. While the friends who play them are great fellows, the armies themselves strike me as the cheesiest. I take special pleasure in wiping them out.

What is your best and worst 40K moment? My best 40K moment was in the days of Second Edition, when Wolf Guard could take an assault cannon and a cyclone missile launcher on the same Terminator. That model was my personal champion and single-handedly wiped out four Eldar squads in a single battle.
My worst moment was in the same battle, when I rolled triple jams on the sustained fire dice and blew up. But that explosion is what took out the fourth squad and earned Ulfgrim the honor of fighting on in future battles as a Venerable Dreadnought.

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'? My ex-wife quietly tolerated my hobby, but didn't want to hear about it or go into the stores with me. She also kind of nagged me about the spending.
My girlfriend actually likes it - she's not a gamer herself but enjoys going into game stores with me, looking at the models and seeing what I've completed. she is just starting to learn to paint and has finished her first model (a Dark Elf Sorceress)

What are some of you other interests? Aside from a ton of different games (of the tabletop and video variety), I'm interested in the history of feudal Japan (and the study of Kendo/Kenjutsu), the bass guitar, and reading.

Do you have any pets? I have a betta fish named Frankie, and two rats, April and Splinter (both girls).
What is your favourite band? Not sure I could single out one, but I'm a huge fan of progressive rock.

I have a blog called The Sage Brush that I'm slowly coming back to since my return to gaming, but the early pages are full of a lot of advice about painting miniatures. I've got a page on Facebook as well where I've been sharing my works in progress. I'm hoping to find where the backdrops for my light box went so I can take real pictures once more.

Thanks for lending me an ear and giving me somewhere to learn more about the enigmatic Tau. I'll probably mostly just lurk but I'm sure there's much to discover.
Last edited by HeadHunter on Apr 17 2017 07:53, edited 5 times in total.

Tael
Fio'O

Re: Regards from HeadHunter!

Post#2 » Apr 16 2017 11:50

Hi and welcome to ATT, more than a few folks getting drawn back to 40k through Shadow War.

Normally we have a intro layout template, but don't worry - enjoyed reading the intro piece :D

Certainly look forward to your input in Shadows Ops forum and painting topics you may create for your tau :)

HeadHunter
Shas'Saal

Re: Regards from HeadHunter!

Post#3 » Apr 17 2017 05:26

Fixed it. I apologize if it's long-winded but there I am.

Tael
Fio'O

Re: Getting to know HeadHunter

Post#4 » Apr 17 2017 07:39

Oh! Thanks Headhunter! I didnt imply you should do that - your original intro was very informative, this was worth a read again :D

Thank you though! :)

Return to “Membership Profiles”