Hopeful new Tau player

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Hopeful new Tau player

Post#1 » May 16 2017 03:52

Hi everyone. I am Pyro and I have been playing 40K for a few years now and also dabble a bit in 30K Emperors Children.
I have always collected Tyranids, because who doesn't love an ever hungry space bug.
But with the upcoming release of 8th edition I decided it was high time to start up a new army as my Hive Fleet has gotten to bursting point really.
So after much deliberation last week I finally made my choice going for a mechanised infantry Tau army over that of the Elysian Drop Troops (awesome army but expensive, plus FW might be cutting some of their models due to super low sales).
I thought this would be a good place to get to know other Tau players and learn how the army is going to adapt for 8th and most importantly learn how feasible a Tau Mech Inf list is seeing as I have popped plenty of transports in 7th leaving the poor troops to walk/get eaten.
(also some tips on building said list, I tend to charge angrily across a table with claws, jaws and wings)

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Hopeful new Tau player

Post#2 » May 16 2017 08:47

Pyropower.

Welcome to the A.T.T. Orbital! The "Great Good" is ever expanding, but may I suggest you do Membership profile, so we get to know you.

The TauMan

"You have always been here."
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » May 16 2017 09:32

Hi Pyropower, definitely look forward to having your input on 8th edition going ahead.

Your insight into Tyranids for one thing would be great. :)

Amembership profile templateis a standard thing, fill out what you prefer and note a couple of the forum centric requests.

Top stuff, thanks man!
Tael.

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » May 17 2017 11:27

Ah many apologies, I will do it here as opposed to spamming you with another thread. And I am always happy to chat Tyranids and our favourite things to chew on

Real first name: Adam

Age and gender: 24, male

How did you get into wargaming? A friend from school got me into it years ago, took a bit of a hiatus due to work and made my valiant return to wargaming in 2013

How did you get into Tau? Well I am about to get into Tau. Really like the look of a mobile army with skimmers dropping off small fireteams to wreak havoc and fly off again.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player? As a general for all of 40K is build an army how you want. Be it fluff reasons, your favourite looking models that you so want to paint, or for competitive reasons. Take advice but always make the final decision on how you want to play it, will keep you enjoying the hobby longer

What is your Tau colour scheme? Not sure yet, might need some advice on that. Thinking of a mix of Bronze with green...maybe, I like red and haven't used that as a main colour in an army yet

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member? Google search to be honest and 2 days possibly.

What are the origins of your ATT username? Just my common handle for as long as I can remember. I don't burn things though, promise.

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules? I have indeed

Where and how often do you usually play? My local games workshop or anywhere I can find games, its a bit sporadic as I move around a lot

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system? I have a nice 40K Tyranid army. Other than that no.

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against? I enjoy playing against hordes like orks and guards, just because of how many models two horde army bring. Not a big fan of playing Grey Knights, mainly because my friend is exceptionally good with them.

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'? They put up with it with mild interest I would say.

What are some of you other interests? Freestyle Kayaking is my other main hobby, absolutely love it.

Do you have any pets? I really want another dog.

Feel free to ask me anything you like, I am generally pretty outgoing.
I will also sort out my profile a bit when I get time later today

Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » May 18 2017 11:44

Hey Pyro,

Good to have you on board, my first bit of advice my seem obvious as anything, but invest in the T'au codex (preferably 8th ed when it emerges)

For mechanised infantry your spoiled for choice really. XV8 chris suits are always a handy unit in my mind. Pathfinders, although squishy have there uses. Fire warriors for obvious reasons, and seriously think about if you want hammerheads or broadsides for your heavy slots.

Personally I'm running mine as a farsight enclave titan hunting force, so I'm packing as many big guns as I can squeeze on (even the orks say wow) :D

Anywho no matter where your path to the greater good takes you, I hope you enjoy it!

Sean

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » May 18 2017 11:57

Its a pleasure to be here, I am excited to start a new army with a completely different playstyle from my usual guys.
I am poised and ready for 8th release day to grab all the rules and dig through them to really start thinking about the minutia of my army.
Fortunately I really like the fluff/role of pathfinders so very happy to have them in my army and plenty of troops to leap out of my devilfish into glorious rapid fire range.
I personally prefer the idea of hammerheads, I like how they look and I assume they'll be a bit speedier than broadsides...but we'll have to wait and see on that front.
That list must look pretty impressive on the table and scary as anything.
Can't wait to get involved, I was wondering at what point I can post in other parts of the forum as I believe I am still locked out?

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#7 » May 21 2017 07:37

Hi Pyro, I'll look into that immediately.

EDIT: Are you still locked out?

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » May 21 2017 08:34

No, sorry I completely forgot to come back and edit that. I got access a day after or so. Happily trying to give input where I can.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#9 » May 21 2017 10:36

Top stuff, good to hear man. :)

Return to “Membership Profiles”