Athena

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Athena
Shas

Athena

Post#1 » May 23 2017 02:37

Real first name:
McKinley

Age and gender:
19, Female

Full time student, Strategic and Security Studies Major

How did you get into wargaming?
A friend tried to get me into MTG, and while that didn't interest me, the store he took me to had X-Wing stuff, which did catch my eye. After that I found 40k and a couple of other games through other players.

How did you get into Tau?
I liked the idea of playing the least dystopian faction, plus the railguns looked really cool.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
Find a play style you really enjoy, winning isn't all that great if you make yourself miserable to do so.

What is your Tau colour scheme?
Tentatively black/pink, but so far all I've done is base coats.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?
I'm completely new. I searched "Shadow War tactics" a couple of weeks ago, and this site came up.

What are the origins of your ATT username?
I like Athena, and her domain of calculated, defensive warfare seems to fit the Tau, at least on the tactical level.

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules?
Yes.

Where and how often do you usually play?
Local game store, weekly-ish.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
No other 40k armies, but I have Rebels for X-Wing and Armada, British for Bolt-Action, and Morrigans (a fictional island in the North Sea I made up for this game) for Sharp Practice.

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?
Favourite - Imperial Gaurd, they're almost always fun to play, lots of removing models on both sides.
Least Favourite- Chaos of any variety, they always feel overpowered, especially in Shadow War: Armageddon.

What is your best and worst 40K moment?
Best - Making Space Wolves run away twice in a row in Shadow War.
Worst - Shooting 1000 points of various Tau into a single chaos model (I think it was a Daemon Prince) and not doing a single wound (this was 7th edition).

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'?
My girlfriend is generally positive about it, if a little weirded out sometimes; that being said I recently got her to try an RPG with me, so I'm hopeful that she'll try wargaming at some point. As for my friends that don't play war games themselves, most think it's cool, if a bit odd.

What are some of you other interests?
I play and game master tabletop RPG's. Military history is has always been an interest for me, hence my major. I'm also working on a minor in Anthropology, and training to work in archaeology with that. I write utopian-ish science fiction/fantasy, and to that end I'm working on a novel as well as a number of short stories set in the same universe. I've done living history before, mostly blacksmithing, but I'm also hoping to put together a Soviet Airwoman's uniform and gear so I can do that eventually. I also dabble in politics.

Do you have any pets?
Nope.

What is your favourite band?
Probably a tie between Nightwish, Dropkick Murphys, and Barlowgirl (that last one may be an unfortunate relic of my upbringing, but they remain a favourite nonetheless).

What are your favourite podcasts?
The Allusionist, Revolutions Podcast, and The Bugle.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Athena

Post#2 » May 23 2017 03:05

Welcome fellow Nightwish enthusiast! :)

Athena wrote:
Least Favourite- Chaos of any variety, they always feel overpowered, especially in Shadow War: Armageddon.

The really shocking thing is that Chaos is generally considered - as of the end of 7th edition at least - to be at an all-time low in terms of in-game power. They were even more formidable to face in the twilight years of 3rd edition, when the '3.5 edition' Chaos codex was considered infamously powerful, and have been steadily decaying in threat level ever since, although I believe more recent additions like the new Tzeentch releases may have changed this.

Still, if you're looking for quality discussion on how to get the most of your Tau, you've come to the right place. If you're particularly interested in writing then I might also suggest you peruse our Library Section, where you can find several excellent fiction pieces, comprehensive background lore and more. As a shameless plug I highly recommend the Into Silence series in particular.

Here's wishing you enjoy your time on the forum.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » May 23 2017 03:58

Athena, welcome aboard the A.T.T. Orbital!

I see you have already met "Mr. Shameless Plug" a.k.a. Kakapo42. What, does he think no one will read our stuff? FYI I also write for the Into Silence series. Anyway Mr. Shameless Plug is also our resident naval warfare expert i.e. Battlefield Gothic, and his modeling isn't too bad.

FYI: Daemons were bad in 5th edition too. Like really, really bad! :dead:

Now the burning question that's on everyone's mind: "Are you a Loyalist or a Rebel?" :crafty:

Rebel: One of the freedom loving peoples of the Farsight Enclaves.
Loyalist: A follower of the tyrannical regime of Aun'Va and the Tau Empire.

The TauMan
PS Looking forward to seeing your army when it's painted. ;)
PPS FREEEEEDOM!
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#4 » Jun 15 2017 05:30

TauMan wrote:

Now the burning question that's on everyone's mind: "Are you a Loyalist or a Rebel?" :crafty:

Rebel: One of the mislead peoples of the Farsight Enclaves.
Loyalist: A follower of the Aun'Va and the Tau Empire true to the meaning of the greater good.

I corrected that for you TauMan! :fear: :D

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jun 15 2017 06:15

Che Gue'vesa wrote:I corrected that for you TauMan! :fear: :D

Che Gue'vesa - Nae yer a wee bit off!

FREEEDOM!

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.