New Tau player

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Sringoot
Shas

New Tau player

Post#1 » Jun 14 2017 04:11

Hello everyone

I'v just picked up my first Tau models and a first little army is developping quickly. I have been playing Fantasy for a long time but ever since AoS that stopped completely. In those years I'v had brief encounters with 40K, maybe having played 10 hours in total with other people's armies. I also followed the 40K armies and backgrounds during past years.

But now I'm here with Tau on my desk.

In an attempt to gather knowledge about 8th edition, I'v read through a ton of forum posts. One member here made an impression, I will look up the name and give him credit if I get around to it. It's in the ' Mechanised Tau ' thread around page 3 and he describes how Tau are both strong in table control and killing off units. That post was sheer brilliant. While most of the ' Tau in 8th? ' posts are complaining or trying to get to knowledge, this one is crystal clear and shows one way to do Tau. Thanks to this person!

Also in past days many voices started to point out the trap in taking drones on all units, the easy VP points for the enemy will make it hard to win games.

To conclude it would be much apreciated if anyone would answer these questions:
1) The new rulebook is said to be free, can we download it on the 17th?
2) Where do I get weapons for Suits? The sprue has most but not all.
3) Some suits can take 4 flamers ( for example ) How do I represent this? Do you mount two on the ' shoulders? '

Anyway thanks for reading!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: New Tau player

Post#2 » Jun 30 2017 06:38

Hi!

Apologies for not saying hello sooner! :D

There are some great posts about at the moment, but plenty of discussion still. No doubt some people will make articles to share.

As for your questions:

I believe we receive only a simple outline of the core game rules to download. Weapons wise, that is an odd issue. Some others are on the Commander Kit though.

The Quad Weapon setup is very much a rules case, the models certainly do not have enough parts to make a bunch of these. My only advice would be use 2, but modify them in some manner to suggest they are even more powerful than normal ;)

best,
Tael.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 30 2017 08:59

Sringoot wrote:To conclude it would be much apreciated if anyone would answer these questions:
1) The new rulebook is said to be free, can we download it on the 17th?

Yes, the BASIC new rulebook is for free but there are lots of advanced things that are not. The free rulebook should be enough to start a small game with some buddies and get a feel for it and see if it something you can enjoy regularly. After that, I highly recommend picking up an actual rulebook to get some real meat to the game and let the hooks really sink in!

Sringoot wrote:Also in past days many voices started to point out the trap in taking drones on all units, the easy VP points for the enemy will make it hard to win games.

For the competitive player, there has been a slight tweak to this using the power level of the unit to award how many victory points you get for wiping the unit. While drones are only 1 VP for the pair they could really stack up at the end of a game with commander spam.

Sringoot wrote:2) Where do I get weapons for Suits? The sprue has most but not all.

This can be tricky but hit up ebay or other online bits stores which may or may not be sold out or expensive. I've heard of people 3D printing some but I have no idea about that. Unfortunately with everyone able to take 3 per crisis suit and 4 on a commander, the pool of weapons is probably going to shrink rapidly. Reddog has cyclic ion blasters for $3.00 a piece since that will likely be the most asked for but least accessible gun you might be looking for.

Sringoot wrote:3) Some suits can take 4 flamers ( for example ) How do I represent this? Do you mount two on the ' shoulders? '

Any way you want! That's the beauty of the hobby. I have magnetized two together on each side for my fusions. Might switch it up and do something different but I was in a rush to get it done.

Welcome to ATT and good luck!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jun 30 2017 09:07

Yojimbob wrote:
Sringoot wrote:Also in past days many voices started to point out the trap in taking drones on all units, the easy VP points for the enemy will make it hard to win games.

For the competitive player, there has been a slight tweak to this using the power level of the unit to award how many victory points you get for wiping the unit. While drones are only 1 VP for the pair they could really stack up at the end of a game with commander spam.

That's no official rule. It's an ITC tournament rule and as such is simply a houserule. Talk with your opponent whether you want to use that specific rule in your games with killpoints or not but don't insist on it.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 30 2017 10:18

Panzer wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:

That's no official rule. It's an ITC tournament rule and as such is simply a houserule. Talk with your opponent whether you want to use that specific rule in your games with killpoints or not but don't insist on it.

Correct, not an official rule but how ITC our tournament play will likely be so that's usually what me and my buddies do since we are definitely more on the competitive side of gaming. :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 30 2017 10:23

Yojimbob wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:

Correct, not an official rule but how ITC our tournament play will likely be so that's usually what me and my buddies do since we are definitely more on the competitive side of gaming. :D

That's perfectly fine, but one shouldn't advise others on a forum to use houserules without mentioning that those aren't official rules. ;)

Return to “Membership Profiles”