Lil_misfit

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Lil_misfit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Lil_misfit

Post#1 » Jul 14 2017 06:16

Real first name: John or "Johnny"

Age and gender: 18 Male

How did you get into wargaming?
I've always been a fan of table top games. I've played a couple war games like Ronin by Osprey and some ones I've made up for myself and friends but I guess D&D and video games lead me to here.

How did you get into Tau?
Honestly? The PS2 game Fire Warrior as it was my first look into the Warhammer 40k universe then Dawn of War Dark Crusade I played as Tau mostly. These two games brought me into the universe while the other video games just expanded my knowledge.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
I haven't played the table top game yet (still building my army for the first time) but out of all the battle reports I've watched I would honestly tell them build the army they want to build not one based off the stats so its fun for them.

What is your Tau colour scheme?
My two "main" colors are grey and purple with accents of black, red and white. (Will post pictures of actual army soon)

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?
I found this site looking for 8th edition Tau tactics as with the new edition not many people are talking about the Tau.

What are the origins of your ATT username?
Came from my dad's military nickname, Misfit, so when he made me my first online account he named it lil_misfit.

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules?
Now I have ;)

Where and how often do you usually play?
I have a Games Workshop nearby that I want to play at but right now not often as my army isn't made and I'm still looking for a job.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
I'm buying the starter set so I can practice the rules so I'll have a small army of Plague dudes and Space Marines but from other systems I have a USMC infantry platoon from a kickstarter board game that flopped. :( Also I have an army of D&D minis + way too many skaven miniatures.]

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?
This question I don't know but I would think I'd hate playing against Orks since they can swarm you and I'd like to fight against the Imperial Guard as I prefer Ranged combat over the hand to hand combat that seems to plague this game.

What is your best and worst 40K moment?
Best? Buying my army and seeing half of it made. Worst? Super Gluing two of my fingers together.

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'?
They think i'm a dork for buying them and playing with toys at my age. (I'm glad they don't know the prices of these toys)

What are some of you other interests?
My other interests are Martial Arts and Computer science, namely programming in Java.

Do you have any pets?
A cat but my mom has a dog and a cat.

What is your favorite band?
This is tough as i'd normally say Gorillaz but I didn't like their new album so then I'd normally say MUSE but their albums have been bad after Uprising came out so I gotta say the LACs or Jimi Hendrix.

Hope that covers who I am. I really want to expand my army right now but I'll need to get a job first before I can buy and paint anymore. (stupid online applications) If you have any questions about my army (I have made a custom Sept for them with some "in the works" lore) or about my self are appreciated!
Most of my stuff is here!

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Lil_misfit

Post#2 » Jul 17 2017 01:41

Welcome to the Orbital,Lil Misfit!!! Anyway, a couple of things I thought were 'interesting' about your profile.

1. Fire warrior was not really...the best representation of the Tau. For one, pulse rifles are more like semi-auto marksman rifles than automatic assault rifles. As well as this, the makers botched the game. It was (for the lack of a better word) terrible. The story was poor, the balance was off by a metric ton, the system glitched so much it wasn't even funny, and (to top it off) the game was too short. The Tau (as of 8th edition) have suffered a massive nerf-sucker-punch. We were once the shootiest army in the game. Now, we are literally at the bottom of the heap. Hell, even the orks now have the advantage of twin-linked weapons (which now give double shots). Of course, things will change once we have a official codex. But that is a year away. Not the best time to get into tau dude.

2. You live in america. I want to know, what sort of prices does W40k sell for over there? (I live in Australia: prices are different).

3. Which edition of DnD and what was/is your last/current character. Mine was a 5e elven warlock with a infernal patron.

Post edited to remove self-censorship
Use appropriate language for a G-rated site (U-rated).
Using swear words and other inappropriate language is not permitted. Please make sure that no one can be offended by anything they may read here by keeping bad language, double entendres and so forth out of our forums. Self-censorship is also not accepted, as this shows the content was inappropriate in the first place.
El'mo
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 17 2017 03:13

Welcome to ATT, Lil_misfit! I hope you enjoy playing Tau as much as the rest of us, and we look forward to seeing your models too!! Feel free to start a project log over on the Project Logs board so you can keep track of your progress and show off your work. Also, good luck with the job search!!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but what purpose does it serve to bash the things Lil_misfit likes and say it's a bad time to start playing Tau? The most important thing on ATT is to be welcoming and to cultivate a positive, constructive, friendly community. That's not to mention that the game Fire Warrior was enjoyed by plenty of people over here on ATT and has quite the cult following. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, of course Tau are still awesome. No matter how the rules change (and hey, we got 2nd at a big tournament recently!) Tau will always be a fun, interesting, versatile army with unique lore and aesthetics and a friendly, tactically-minded player base. That's awesome!

Lil_misfit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 06 2017 11:10

Oh wow! I didn't see that you guys replied to this! Sorry for the late response

2. You live in America. I want to know, what sort of prices does W40k sell for over there? (I live in Australia: prices are different).

The prices here are quite expensive. The Fire Warrior box is $50! I understand it has a lot of bitz and things like that but you still only get 10 models which I find to be a bit of a rip off where as the pathfinder box is only 35 for the same amount of models and you get a few drones. (That might be why I have so many pathfinders in my army :) ). I know I shouldn't place the value vs the number of models but as someone new I wanted to have a good sized army at the best price. In all honesty, if a new person asked me who they should play and they wanted the most models for their buck I'd tell them Imperial Guard (I'm currently, but slowly, building an IG army for my dad) as they range from 25-35 dollars for 10+ miniatures. So... expensive is the short answer and with my new job giving me around $300 a week I don't have much to spend on miniatures.

3. Which edition of DnD and what was/is your last/current character. Mine was a 5e elven warlock with a infernal patron.

The latest edition I played was 4th ed with a Dragonborn Paladin lvl 13 named Silkmire. But my friends and I really loved to play 1st edition as it had all the random charts and things that made our short get togethers crazy. :)

So thanks for the warm welcome even though I'm late to reply!

Lil_misfit
Most of my stuff is here!

Return to “Membership Profiles”