Shas'la Festus: A story of regret and redemption

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Festus
Shas'Saal

Shas'la Festus: A story of regret and redemption

Post#1 » Jul 26 2017 05:13

Real first name:

Eli

Age and gender:

22, Male

Canada

Recent University Fine arts graduate, so currently I'm a soon to be homeless person. :P

In all honesty though I'm a graphic designer/illustrator currently doing freelance work for a few clients as I further develop my portfolio for work in specific areas.

How did you get into wargaming?

I always had an interest in Warhammer ever since my cousins and I saw the models in our LGS when we were kids. We were actually pretty obsessed with warhammer even though we knew nothing about it and never played a game. Eventually in high school me and my one cousin finally cracked and picked up our first models.

How did you get into Tau?

I played that old Firewarrior game for the PS2 and ended up really liking the look and feel of Tau ever since. Also mechs.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?

Take your time modelling and painting your miniatures. I didn't with mine when I first started and I regret it to this day. (Hence the subject line of this post)

What is your Tau colour scheme?

I'm not sure yet, I know I want to go with red as the primary colour but I'm having trouble figuring out the rest of the paint scheme.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?

I found this site just after high school and have apparently been a member since 2013; but I totally forgot about my account and never made a single post :p

What are the origins of your ATT username?

I used to play Star Wars Battlefront's online multiplayer when I was younger but I wasnt allowed to create my own online profile because my parents didn't want me to. So instead I used my dads account which he had named Festus. Apparently it's from a character called Festus Gunsmoke in an old western cartoon he used to watch as a kid. Anyways the name has stuck with me ever since.

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules?

Yes!

Where and how often do you usually play?

Currently I don't get to play much due to being 2 hours away from the nearest store or play group. So I get to play about once a month. However this should change
once I move again.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?

I have just begun starting a small Dark Eldar army

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?

I love fighting Astra Millitarum as it is the force I have the most experience facing off against. Other than that I despise fighting Necrons, I have never had a good time going up against those Tin-man wannabes.

What are some of you other interests?

Drawing, animation (both doing and watching it), 3D modelling, HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts), and all kinds of gaming.

Do you have any pets?

A five year old German Shepard that thinks he is a cat.

What is your best and worst 40K moment?

My best 40k moment was when 1 fire warrior charged into a squad of 2 chaos terminators and finished them off after three rounds of combat. My poor opponent never rolled so many 1's in his life. After the battle we both agreed that this Fire warrior obviously earned the favour of Khorne and is in the process of being re-modelled to represent this.

The worst moment of my 40k career actually has to do with the title of this post, and is more of a string of mistakes instead of just one bad moment; Basically I was not patient when I first started this hobby. For instance, when putting together the models that I had bought in high school and early university i was usually more concerned with getting them put together and ready for play as quickly as possible instead of properly modelling them. Because of this, I ended up doing things like not removing mold lines, neglecting to trim off/sand down the little bits of plastic left on models from the sprue, and worse of all I even used hot glue on some models :? (including a riptide, please forgive me). Needles to say I regret all these decisions greatly.

So ya, TLDR: basically I messed up the look of a lot of my Tau by not taking the hobby aspect of this game seriously enough; however, all is not lost and now that University is over my crusade of Retribution has begun! Over the past few months I've laid out the ground work to give myself a fresh start at the hobby by buying a decent amount of models to kickstart the creation of a new tau army and I have also spent a lot of time practicing my modelling and miniature painting skills (I can paint on a canvas so this should be easy, right? :dead: ). And finally, I'm also making this account; because hey, if I want to make an army I can be proud of I might as well also join a forum full of people with amazing looking armies and start my own project log!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Shas'la Festus: A story of regret and redemption

Post#2 » Aug 29 2017 03:59

Hi hi!

Great intro, enjoyed that. Man, I've been at this graphic design game for 20 yrs, best decision ever. Also I get a lot of work based on my personal style, so really try to avoid being too on trend.

Remember starting out, interesting time and kinda swanning into and out of studios as a freelance picking up work load etc. Miss those days sometimes. Long hours but crazy fun.

Thanks for joining up and apologies for the delayed reply - my August has been nuts as a few clients needed my input for investment round media etc.

HEMA wise a friend of mine leads the NZ team into full contact tournament in Poland each year. They did alright couple of months ago too! (2nd tournament)

See you about the forums!
Tael.

Return to “Membership Profiles”