Kanite

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Kanite
Shas

Kanite

Post#1 » Jul 28 2017 04:38

Hi!
This is a quick introduction to my profile, plus my first thoughts and questions.
First of all I'm just begging my T'au army. Well it'll be my first time working with Citadel miniatures. (I was collecting Warmachine models before but GW stuff gives more possibilities) So I don't have any T'au models yet but I think the best unit to start with are Fire Warriors in Strike Team combination. I already chose a color palette after like a moth of reaserching T'au and whole Warhammer universe. I think 8th edition is a good time to start don't You think?
And here is my first question - Do You, T'au painters have any tips how to start? I'm not asking about "How to paint for begginers" but what I need to know painting T'AU.
Second question is about my color scheme - I chose a very contrasting colors - Really dark grey (Eshin grey mixed with abbadon black) and bright lime. (Moot green with Flash gitz yellow) Will layer of Moot green on top of Flash gitz yellow give similar effect? How to highlight lime parts? For the skin I'll stick with standard blue same as lenses and other parts like engines. Who knows how It will turn out?
Thanks for reading and any answers!
Ka'nite sept army log

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Kanite

Post#2 » Jul 28 2017 05:08

Welcome to ATT!!

Kanite wrote:And here is my first question - Do You, T'au painters have any tips how to start? I'm not asking about "How to paint for begginers" but what I need to know painting T'AU.

If you know how to paint already, you're 90% of the way there! For painting Tau, here are some tips to consider:

1. There are four main colors on Tau units: armor (smooth plates), metal (mechanical parts of battlesuits), cloth (clothing under the armor for infantry) and sept marks (color that indicates sept allegiance and rank).
2. Tau have loads of panel lines. Don't get paint in the thin lines on armor and weapons and the model will look quite good.
3. Vehicles have beautiful, smooth curves- use spray paint, an airbrush, or just be really careful.
4. It usually looks better to paint light-colored armor over dark-colored metal, but this can be tricky as you need to use multiple coats.

Kanite wrote:Second question is about my color scheme - I chose a very contrasting colors - Really dark grey (Eshin grey mixed with abbadon black) and bright lime. (Moot green with Flash gitz yellow) Will layer of Moot green on top of Flash gitz yellow give similar effect? How to highlight lime parts? For the skin I'll stick with standard blue same as lenses and other parts like engines. Who knows how It will turn out?

Sounds like a fun scheme! To get a bright color, don't layer different colors. Rather, mix the paints on your palette, or just use a lime green paint. Base with a dark green color, then do a coat of Moot Green. To make it really pop, highlight/drybrush with Moot Green mixed with a bit of white or yellow, for some extra brightness. Vallejo also makes some very bright colors.

Kanite
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 28 2017 05:52

Thank You for Your advice!
Here is an image of Devilfish in my color scheme: (I hope the URL is working...)
http://imgur.com/jjEPbww
I don't really like that the sept markings's color indicates sept. There are like 17 septs already and who knows how many will be added during the 3rd, 4th and 5th sphere expansions? There won't be enough colors soon. How will they handle this problem? Besides your miniatures are meant to look good to you. So sept markings will be white.
Ka'nite sept army log

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 28 2017 06:49

Kanite wrote:Thank You for Your advice!
Here is an image of Devilfish in my color scheme: (I hope the URL is working...)
http://imgur.com/jjEPbww
I don't really like that the sept markings's color indicates sept. There are like 17 septs already and who knows how many will be added during the 3rd, 4th and 5th sphere expansions? There won't be enough colors soon. How will they handle this problem? Besides your miniatures are meant to look good to you. So sept markings will be white.

Is that a Devilfish that you painted? The colors are fantastic.

For sept marks, there are maybe 5-6 "main" septs and it's unlikely they'll add many more, it's been a long time since they did that. Of course, there's no requirement to paint your models with the "proper" sept. You can totally use Tau Sept colors and play a Farsight Enclaves list, that's totally fine! So do whichever sept marks you like.

Kanite
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 28 2017 12:20

No, this od not my model. Long ago i found this devilfish on printerest made by unknown user. Originally all lime parts were orange. I changed colors in Lenovo built-in editor on my phone :) If You have any ideas on what sept colors would be appriopriate I'm all ears!
Ka'nite sept army log

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 28 2017 12:28

I spent quite a lot of time on here to get my scheme http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/fwp.php
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jul 30 2017 12:45

Kanite wrote:No, this od not my model. Long ago i found this devilfish on printerest made by unknown user. Originally all lime parts were orange. I changed colors in Lenovo built-in editor on my phone :) If You have any ideas on what sept colors would be appriopriate I'm all ears!

High-tech! But honestly, I'd go with the scheme you want to use. If you like lime and dark grey- go with that! It'll be a really unique and striking color scheme. Maybe Fire Warriors have black cloth, grey armor, and lime accents (shoulder pad, maybe a knee pad, helmet for the Shas'ui), then the sept marks could be white? The only question would be, what color for the lenses? Bright orange would certainly stand out, as would purple and bright aqua/light blue.

Kanite
Shas

Post#8 » Jul 30 2017 10:24

Yeah, this devilfish have perfect amount of lime and grey. I'm coming home from holiday on September 2nd and I'll start working on them. Lenses will be bright blue like theese from GW Vior'la sept.
I spent quite a lot of time on here to get my scheme http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/fwp.php

Wow! This can really help with shemes, thanks a lot!
Maybe this isn't a place to ask but I have another question: What is inside of Start Collecting! box and is it worth bying? Is this box containing all parts that are in fire warriors, xv8 suits and ethereal from coalition command?
Ka'nite sept army log

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jul 31 2017 12:00

Kanite wrote:Maybe this isn't a place to ask but I have another question: What is inside of Start Collecting! box and is it worth bying? Is this box containing all parts that are in fire warriors, xv8 suits and ethereal from coalition command?

The "Start Collecting! Tau Empire" box gives you the following:

1x Ethereal
3x XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
10x Fire Warriors
1x Drone Support Turret
8x Drones

You get all the options that these units come with normally! The Ethereal can be assembled with a Hover Drone or without. The Fire Warriors can be assembled as a Strike Team (with long-range Pulse Rifles) or as a Breacher Team (with short-range Pulse Blasters). The XV8s come with 4 of each weapon type except the Cyclic Ion Blaster and Airbursting Fragmentation Projector. The Drones can be assembled up to 5 Gun Drones, up to 5 Shield Drones, up to 5 Marker Drones, and one Guardian Drone, but you only get a total of 8 Drone chassis- so, for example, you could make 5 Gun Drones, 2 Shield Drones, and 1 Guardian Drone, or any combination you like. Tip: magnetize the Drone chassis to the wargear that hangs below, and you'll be able to swap your drone types at will!

Anyway, I don't know the prices of these models in your country, but in my country the "Start Collecting!" box is a 50% discount compared to buying the sets individually! It's a really great deal.

Return to “Membership Profiles”