Hey there!

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Hoob
Shas'Saal

Hey there!

Post#1 » Aug 10 2017 10:49

Age and gender: 23 years old, male.

Occupation: Working on a career in the mental health sector, ideally working in some kinda community/residential setting with youth. Not able to be too choosy until I finish my Bachelor of Social Work though, so I'm currently in the "taking what I can get" phase of my career :P

How did you get into wargaming?
Back when I was a kid, there was some subscription magazine service GW was offering for their (then new) LotR minis game, where you'd get minis with each new magazine, along with paints, tutorials how to use the new stuff, etc. I was pretty into LotR at the time so I jumped on it, and eventually I branched out from that to 40k.

Haven't actually been into the hobby since I was about eleven though, kinda fell out of interest (and financial viability) when I got a bit older. Been playing games on Vassal and keeping up with the lore consistently (was big into Dark Heresy for a while, 40k's always been around my gaming life somehow), but this last few weeks are the first time I'm getting back into actually painting and playing for real.

How did you get into Tau?
I really love mechs. Tau seemed like an obvious option because of that. From there, my interest in the lore grew a lot, and their playstyle meshed really well with me when I was playing games in Vassal. Plus, I love the aesthetics.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
Magnetise everything.

What is your Tau colour scheme?
I've currently settled on a green and brown scheme, with red sept markings. Still deciding whether or not I treat that as Vior'la, or make up a sept of my own. Here's a sample (first squad I've painted since I was eleven, so it's a little on the rough side)

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?
When I used to play via Vassal, I browsed these forums to get ideas for my list building. Now that I'm playing for real, I figured it'd be a good idea to get involved in the discussions, and maybe post a project log for my army so I have somewhere to document it.

What are the origins of your ATT username?
I used to go by Hobo in online communities, when I was a teenager. At some point someone in one of my group chats started intentionally misspelling it as Hoob and I decided I liked that better. It's great, because if my username is taken, I can just add another o. Highest I've had to go is seven :P

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules?
Yep! Will try to give it another read through in the coming days though, sometimes takes a bit of reinforcement for that stuff to stick.

Where and how often do you usually play?
Currently, I don't. Once I have enough models painted up to play? Probably at my local game store, it's a really nice big place with tons of tables. Licensed venue too, so I can get drunk and make poor tactical decisions! I've also got some friends who are getting into 40k themselves with the new edition, so there'll likely be some home games happening too.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
Nope. Although I'd love to collect Orks or Chaos one day, I love the conversion opportunities they present. And they're the armies I had as a kid (long gone now, I didn't hold onto any of it unfortunately).

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Hey there!

Post#2 » Aug 29 2017 03:43

Hi!

Excuse the delayed hello, so many new members so quickly. Thanks for joining the community :)

Look forward to your input on the forum and feedback playing games in 8th edition.

Scheme looks great to boot.

What part of Melbourne does your cadre operate out of? I used live in St Kilda, near the beach in the white tower opposite the carnival hall and amusement park. Oh for a slice of cheesecake from St Kilda Road!! :D

- Tael.

Hoob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 29 2017 05:43

I'm out in the Eastern Suburbs at the moment, grew up in the Yarra Ranges. Slowly crawling my way towards the city over the years, probably going to move further in next year to make Uni and work easier.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#4 » Aug 30 2017 02:41

Oh nice, beautiful country. Enjoy inner city when you do, certainly set up for the Uni students. :)

Return to “Membership Profiles”