Variant

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Variant
Shas

Variant

Post#1 » Sep 13 2017 03:51

Real first name: Bill

Age and gender: 29 Male

How did you get into wargaming?
I've always been aware of the Warhammer 40K and have always had a minor interest in the table top game. It was during the tail end of 5th that youtube videos finally sparked my interest to actually get into the hobby. So one day, I took the plunge and went to a local GW game store. Haven't regretted it since.

How did you get into Tau?
I've been an avid sci-fi fan since a very young age. And during my time as a sci fi fan, I've always liked the hyper advanced technological races. When I started with the hobby, I naturally wanted one of the tech factions and was choosing between Eldar, Necron and Tau. Well, I hated how utterly snotty the Eldar were and disliked the skeleton and chariot aesthetics of the Necron. That left Tau. It was good that I choose Tau though. Always been a huge Armored Core fan and Tau battlesuits is about as close as you can get to that here.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
Follow the rule of cool and first find out what you like. Warhammer is supposed to be a hobby and is thus something you need to enjoy doing. This includes the game but also includes things like building the model and painting. I can't tell you how may times I might have simply fallen out of the hobby if I hadn't discovered my love of battlesuits with the building and painting. Diversity in your army lists is important, but optimization can come later after you've settled into the hobby.

What is your Tau colour scheme?
Sky blue with dark purple and black undercoats. Certain elements have silver highlights.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?
I was searching for an online community that had a lot of emphasis on the Tau Empire. ATT appeared to be the largest and so kept coming up. About a year ago, I decided to stop just reading the forums and become a member. You may wonder why I've been a member since 2016 but am just posting a profile now? Well, at that time when I joined, I had a few bad experiences with the hobby and lost interest. I basically dropped out of Warhammer for about six months and have just recently gotten back in. So... I'm back?

What are the origins of your ATT username?
Back during my MMO days, I used to make a lot of characters over many classes. To avoid having to come up with too many names, all my characters were Variant with something after that related to the class. My friends eventually just started generalizing my name to Variant and I've stuck with it since.

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules?
Naturally, yes. Twice, in fact. Once when I joined and once right before I posted.

Where and how often do you usually play?
There is a nearby game store called Montag's. I am usually there every Saturday to play.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
I have a half formed Eldar wraith army. I should get around to building it. Also have a small ALEPH army from Infinity.

What is your favorite and least favorite army to play against?
My favorite army to play against would have to be the Tyranids. I dunno exactly why but I've always felt like those games have been close, tense and great fun.
My least favorite would have to be the recent advent of Grand Army of the Imperium. I'm a big advocate of playing what you like. But when you are facing down an imperial knight, squads of custodes in Venerable landraiders while scion teams drop like dandruff around you, things get a bit frustrating.

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'?
They are fine with it, glad that I found a hobby I enjoy. Some frown slightly at the price tag though.

What are some of you other interests?
Writing, computer technology, video games, Manga and anime are a few that come to mind.

Do you have any pets?
No.

Return to “Membership Profiles”